Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weekly 2 hour cross practice on a small lighted ski hill. We get maybe 30 people and I'm always looking for new things to add to keep it interesting. Here's what I have been doing:

-warm up
-conditioning, which has varied from anaerobic intervals, hill repeats, tempo loops on grass, uphill runs w/ the bike, etc. I try to do 30 or so minutes of quality earlier in the season, less now that we are all racing
-skills--we have been working a lot on taking turns with stake and tape at higher speeds, line, braking, body position, etc. Plus the usul mount, barriers, carry, etc. This week we'll do off camber

we have done things like a barrel race in the past which

- finally we set up a course and run a 40 minute race. the top 5 have to do some penalty laps to force them back into the group each lap and the slower riders have places where they cut the course.

People like it but I was looking for some new drills to use to keep in interesting

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
no better practice

for racing then racing
I like your little egalitarian measures

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
atpjunkie said:
for racing then racing
I like your little egalitarian measures
I have learned a couple things, first when it's a "race" people revert back to old bad habits and crash and get injured. I need to temper it a little.

I have had very good luck by doing intervals where the leader stops at a landmark, generally a point up a hill, then when he turns around everyone turns around and goes back down, so all do the same total interval time. We shortcut back to the start and go right away so we have an incomplete recovery and the slower riders get to go a tad earlier and the faster guys have to chase through traffic.

The other thing I have been trying to enforce is nobody is allowed to ride alone, they have to cut the course and get used to riding with others

·
Registered
689 Posts
We've done start-sprints at practices before, which I like. You basically just practice getting clipped in from the word "go!" then sprinting for 100 meters. Turn back around, then do it again. Simulates the race start, gets you used to clipping in quickly and helps eliminate poor positioning for hole shots. Of course, you build sprint speed/power as well.

It also invariably ends with someone busting a chain for some reason...which is good I guess...better to happen at practice :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
We've done start-sprints at practices before, which I like. You basically just practice getting clipped in from the word "go!" then sprinting for 100 meters.
I've heard of people doing this, but as a relay race with 3-man teams.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Follow the leader. Group of 3-4 equally matched riders, 3-4 minute course with barriers/180's/run-up etc. Each person does a full lap at the front and tries to drop the other 2. The leader should be relentless. No passing allowed, just stay on the wheel in front of you at all costs. The best part is watching someone in front of you pull away and learning how to alter your line/technique to match their speed next time around. As the group gets stronger than you take 2/3 turns at the front.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ohh yeah, I am very jealous that you can get 30 people out to a training session.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JPHcross said:
Ohh yeah, I am very jealous that you can get 30 people out to a training session.
Frankly I'm shocked by it also. With the 45 degree rains we are starting to get down to the hardcore blockheads. We have even been getting women this year. I did a local race saturday and was happy to see many of our cross practice people doing the race. I promoted a race two weeks back and had my best turnout ever.

I'm very bullish on these practices for getting people over the hump to try a race. I'm not any great expert at cross but know enough to get by and people are hungry for whatever I can show them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey John,

I miss those tuesday night cross practise you held last year, can't find any around back home. It was tough but lots of fun, wish you were closer.

Keep up the good work!

The guy from Montreal Canada!

·
Registered
298 Posts
JPHcross said:
I wish we would ONLY get 30 people, I think our Wednesday Morning ride is over 100 people and that is a bit much. Needless to say, Cross is pretty big here in Boulder.

The Three minute follow the leader is a good skill. Go to an open park where the leader get to do any route he wants but his job is to drop the guys behind. The guys behind must follow and do everything the leader does. If the leader gets more than 20 yards ahead during his turn, he must more to the back of the line. Once the three minutes are up, the next guy in line takes over. It needs to been done in small groups 3-6 people.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tuesday's around Syracuse

The Ommegang guys have mixed up the venue's a little this year-Longbranch(site of Syracuse CX), Fenner Fields in Caz, and eventually Sullivan park in Chittenango. The turn out varies, usually 25-35 men and women. Skill's and drills, barrier practice too.

A solid GREAT bunch of very fast guys...I am usually having a great time at the back though.

The rain kept me away tonite, and for that I feel bad. I just put some quality family time ahead of riding tonite...the $hitty weather helped in that decision.

John, your practices sound very cool indeed. You are out Buffalo way, correct?

Joe Mag
aka Salsa guy from Oneida

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Magdaddy said:
The Ommegang guys have mixed up the venue's a little this year-Longbranch(site of Syracuse CX), Fenner Fields in Caz, and eventually Sullivan park in Chittenango. The turn out varies, usually 25-35 men and women. Skill's and drills, barrier practice too.

A solid GREAT bunch of very fast guys...I am usually having a great time at the back though.

The rain kept me away tonite, and for that I feel bad. I just put some quality family time ahead of riding tonite...the $hitty weather helped in that decision.

John, your practices sound very cool indeed. You are out Buffalo way, correct?

Joe Mag
aka Salsa guy from Oneida
Yes, we had a nice practice tonight but the park manager doesn't want us digging up the grass, so it was difficult given the two straight days of rain. I kind of had to wing it a little

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.