Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Sidi's, despite being 1/2 size smaller, are quite a bit wider in the heel (my old ones were Genius 5's, new Sidi's are Genius 5.5's). My heel moves up and down during the pedal stroke. Anyone know of a trick to tighten it down inside the pocket? I tried some ski bootfitters foam, but it won't stick to the mesh inner lining. My foot is a pretty standard C-width, but a bit narrower than average in the heel.

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
dawgcatching said:
My new Sidi's, despite being 1/2 size smaller, are quite a bit wider in the heel (my old ones were Genius 5's, new Sidi's are Genius 5.5's). My heel moves up and down during the pedal stroke. Anyone know of a trick to tighten it down inside the pocket? I tried some ski bootfitters foam, but it won't stick to the mesh inner lining. My foot is a pretty standard C-width, but a bit narrower than average in the heel.
The ratcheting strap doesn't stop this? That's where I find the force is when I pull up on the pedals. I have to get it tight enough or I get some of that "heel lifting" sensation too. Of course, too tight makes my toes go numb eventually.

Also, it sounds to me like you have an issue of the shoe being too long, not too wide in the heel--you're not complaining about your foot slopping side-to-side, which would be the result of being too wide in the back, but rather of the heel moving up and down, which would indicate to me that your foot doesn't reach the back of the shoe (under where the cup curves toward your leg).

Perhaps what you need is an even smaller size, but in the Mega width? In that case, you might be able to put your foot as far forward as you need (with more room in the toe box), but without the shoe being too long in the back.

This doesn't fix your current shoes, but it's a thought.

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikeboy389 said:
The ratcheting strap doesn't stop this? That's where I find the force is when I pull up on the pedals. I have to get it tight enough or I get some of that "heel lifting" sensation too. Of course, too tight makes my toes go numb eventually.

Also, it sounds to me like you have an issue of the shoe being too long, not too wide in the heel--you're not complaining about your foot slopping side-to-side, which would be the result of being too wide in the back, but rather of the heel moving up and down, which would indicate to me that your foot doesn't reach the back of the shoe (under where the cup curves toward your leg).

Perhaps what you need is an even smaller size, but in the Mega width? In that case, you might be able to put your foot as far forward as you need (with more room in the toe box), but without the shoe being too long in the back.

This doesn't fix your current shoes, but it's a thought.
Could be-I used to wear a 41, but then got cycling orthotics, which increased the overall volume and moved me up to a 42, which was too long. I dropped to a 41.5 in hopes that it would fit tighter (the length is much better now) but still might be a bit too long. A 40.5 or 41 in a Mega might be the answer. Unfortunately, with a pair of barely-used Genius 5.5's, I can't really afford another pair until these wear out.

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
dawgcatching said:
Could be-I used to wear a 41, but then got cycling orthotics, which increased the overall volume and moved me up to a 42, which was too long. I dropped to a 41.5 in hopes that it would fit tighter (the length is much better now) but still might be a bit too long. A 40.5 or 41 in a Mega might be the answer. Unfortunately, with a pair of barely-used Genius 5.5's, I can't really afford another pair until these wear out.
Yeah, I hear that. I got lucky in the Mega department when I discovered that I could wear my wife's Sidis length-wise, but they were just a little tight in the toe box. So I got Megas in the same size (nobody around here had any I could try before buying), and they fit perfectly.

Yes, I have pretty small feet, and my wife has biggish ones.

Good luck finding a solution.

· Registered
316 Posts
dawgcatching said:
Try bringing the shoes to a good cobbler or custom shoe maker, and get them to stitch in (or otherwise properly connect) an appropriate heel cup insert in order to effectively narrow the heel cup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.