Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post in this part of the forum.

I posted this in the fixed gear thread, and was told that y'all might be able to help me out. I'm trying to ID what type of frame I've got.

I'll be getting the rest of the info that HandsomeRob suggested when I get home from work tonight. But in the meantime, here's the thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62350

Thanks!

joe

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not much help....

I can't help you identify the frame, but I can tell you something about most of the guys that haunt this thread. They are very friendly, helpful, laidback, and often have the best grasp of why it is we ride. They ride because they love bikes. What's really great is that they often see the beauty and simplicity not only in a custom lugged steel frame with Campy components, they can get positively maudlin about the old Murray they used to ride.

In other words, don't let them scare you.:)

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
206 Posts
What makes you think it is a Bob Jackson? Lots of builders have used that style of seatstay cap, and many builders have used different types of fittings over the years, depending what was available and what customers demanded at the time. The Campy dropouts are a good sign though, it is unlikely that they would have been used on a POS.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bobj said:
What makes you think it is a Bob Jackson? Lots of builders have used that style of seatstay cap, and many builders have used different types of fittings over the years, depending what was available and what customers demanded at the time. The Campy dropouts are a good sign though, it is unlikely that they would have been used on a POS.

That Bob Jackson was the first thing I ran across with similar looking lugs. I'm pretty new to cycling in general, so I'm not to privy as to who uses what style lugs, or if it even mattered. I didn't know if designs were trademarked or particular to a certain manufacturer, or what.

I'm really just interested in finding out the maker of the frame for future reference. Whenever I paint it, if I wanted to incorperate the manufacturer's logo, etc. I'd like it to be the actual brand name, whatever it may be.

joe

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Well I feel like the doctor who can't tell you what you have, but can help you rule some things out. I thought it might look like an older Raleigh Pro with that seat cluster, but it's not right, and the fork doesn't match, so that's all the help I can be.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Take lots of pictures! Seat lug, brake bridge, bottom bracket shell from all angles, dropouts, chainstay bridge (if any), cable routing, fork crown... if the fork is original, that is a rather unusual crown, so someone here might be able to identify it. Also if you can find out what the bottom bracket threading is, and what the seatpost diameter is (27.2, 27.0, 26.8mm etc) those two measurements are clues. As a last resort, if you are having it repainted, try a shop like CycleArt in San Marcos CA. They have done so many repaints and restorations, that they would probably be able to identify it if nobody else can. Oh yeah, the serial number (location and number itself) might help to ID it.

G

·
Everyone always eventually ends up in this forum ;)

Give us more pictures, that will help. The one comment I have so far is that the fork crown looks like a forged crown. I have a mid '70's Dave Moulton frame and fork and the fork crown looks very similar.

More pictures!!! ( may not help but the guys that hang out here like bikie piccies!!)

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alright... I just took some pics!

So far as I know, it's a dedicated track frame. There are no braze ons whatsoever. Not for bottle cages or guides, nothin. Not even drilled for a rear brake.

The only numbers on the outside of the bike are stamped on the bottom of the BB, and they read "CO121".

The seat tube is 27.2

(please ignore the dirt... she's my daily ride. She'll be getting a nice cleaning/tune up this weekend ;) )

Thanks guys, here's the pics:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Now we're getting somewhere!
Pull out the seatpost from the frame, there is probably a seatpost size somewhere on it. 27.6 seems a little big. Then pull a crankarm and see if the BB cup has the size listed. This will help us know if it is English, French or Italian. Good job with the pictures!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bobj said:
Now we're getting somewhere!
Pull out the seatpost from the frame, there is probably a seatpost size somewhere on it. 27.6 seems a little big. Then pull a crankarm and see if the BB cup has the size listed. This will help us know if it is English, French or Italian. Good job with the pictures!

Yeah, the seat tube is 27.2. I mis-typed that one.

The only thing I can see on the BB under the crank arm reads: 1.37x24T. Honestly I'm not sure what this means.

joe

G

·
Bike was made to have a seat post bolt, not a allen keyed binder bolt.

Notice the key slot in the seat lug, very typical of early to mid '70's style, look like the lugs that were typical of english bikes of the period.

That bottom Bracket lug is identical to the one on my Geoff Butler, a typical purchased lug of the time.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update:

I got an email from Dave Moulton, this is what he had to say:

Dave Moulton said:
Hi Joe,
Sorry it's not one of mine. Could be any small custom builder, the only clue is the initials CO but I can't think who that could be. Nice frame; looking at the Bocama BB shell and the Prugnat lugs it was probably built in the late 1970s early 1980s. That's about all I can offer right now but if I hear of a framebuilder with the initials CO I'll let you know.
Best regards,
Dave.
This help anyone else out, knowing the types of lugs or anything?

Thanks for your help guys,

joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.