Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Another nice report. We were up there on Saturday, between the Friday and Sunday rides. Our weather was much more like yours, though I almost always like a vest for the descent down Larch Mtn. I think Rainier is in the middle of the 3 mountains pic. Great composition with the mountains, though. Where did you start/end/detour that you got 5600 feet of climbing? Our regular Portland to Larch Mtn ride is about 83 miles and 4300 feet.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
thumbprinter said:
we detoured on the way down by taking a sharp left on loudon road (about 10 miles down from the top) which had some very steep descents (40+ mph) as well as a fair amount of additional climbing. loudon eventually leads to hurlbert (more rollers) which connects back w/the historic highway before it hits troutdale. sometime it would be fun to combine larch w/the bull run route from rubbertotheroad by turning left on gordon creek (from hurlbert), that would add at least another 1000 feet of climbing - maybe later in the season. :)
Loudon, Hurlbert and Gordon Creek have what I call Hobbesian Hills... "nasty, brutish and short." Cool ride!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.