Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a section of road on my way home thats 1 1/2 miles with a white line, no shoulder, or white line with a little dirt path? Well anyway, there in not a lot of traffic, maybe ten cars a day that pass me, but I have had several close calls the past 2 weeks.

Yesterday, about half way thru that section of road, I see a car driving on the white line coming up behind me. When it got to about 50 yards behind me, a kid had his whole upper body and arms out the window like he wanted to knock me off of my bike. I stood up turn, and started cursing. The car move over to the center line as they past me with the kids arms still hanging out of the car. The kid yelled, I cursed instead of getting the whole license plate. This is the second time that car has given me a problem at the same time, so they must live in that area.

Questions. Would you look for the car or just leave it alone. I have part of the plate, make and model. I'm still mad.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
don't look for it - report it to the police, even w/ a partial, and a make and model, they can probably find it. file a complaint.

· Registered
783 Posts
I'm with the suggestion report to police see if they can patrol the area maybe the patrol will be enough to scare the kids. Or if you see them coming up on you again maybe you can stop take your camera out and start shooting away that would probably really scare the sh** out of them.
To bad you have to worry about that kind of crap. The kids have no ideal the injury they could inflict upon you. They just think its all fun n games

Ray Still

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
If you see it coming,
1 stop
2 move off the road
3 ignore the kids
4 memorize the plate
5 call 911 (carry your cellphone) immediately

At a minimum, it's reckless endangerment. Police will take it seriously and the kids will have no alternative.

· Registered
157 Posts
Pulling out a camera the next time they go by sounds like the best solution. Throwing things at them is just a bad idea. They know when and where you'll be, paybacks will come if you did that.

OTOH, if you knew where they lived you could go let the air out of their tires one night. I'd take out the entire valve core.

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Kinda surprised nobody's said this yet but uh... stop sticks??? Like the ones the cops use?? I think that'd be cool... till the next day when they came back... eh:idea:

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Lifelover said:
Can you avoid the road?

Seems like getting into a battle with teenagers is a no win proposition.
As a high school teacher, I work with teens all day long. You can't imagine how true this statement is.

· Registered
520 Posts
i've pulled the whole slap the back window, squirt the back windshield with sports drink when some ******* in an aerostar van pulled TOWARDS me i think just to scare me... for about 15 seconds as i watched the car pull away i was just waiting for the brake lights in the back to go on because i wanted to deck the guy. in retrospect, of course, im glad i didn't get into fisticuffs, but man, it is ****in irritating.

that being said, i've actually had more bad run ins with middle aged white males in trucks than any other demographic.

· Too Old to Run...
233 Posts
millerinva said:
don't look for it - report it to the police, even w/ a partial, and a make and model, they can probably find it. file a complaint.
+1 Call the police and let them know what's been going on. That way if anything else happens there will be a history of past reporting.

Anything else of the retalitory sort could cause this to spiral out of control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.