Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does any else despise "non thinking" riders. I guess my biggest gripe is blowing through stop signs. Now, don't get me wrong, in light or no traffic....I roll through. But balls to the wall, damn the cars is just crazy.

I think the reason motorists dislike us so is because of our unpredictability. My Monday morning rant!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Accept it.

One of the pleasures of riding a bicycle is knowing that you'll never be punished for behavior that would land a motorist in traffic court. It allows you to be whatever you want to be—a vehicle insisting on being given vehicular rights one minute, a non-vehicle happily ignoring all traffic regulations the next. That's the way it is all over the world, and nothing much can be done about it. :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Beings I'm a commercial driver

BNA_roadie said:
Is it just me or does any else despise "non thinking" riders. I guess my biggest gripe is blowing through stop signs. Now, don't get me wrong, in light or no traffic....I roll through. But balls to the wall, damn the cars is just crazy.

I think the reason motorists dislike us so is because of our unpredictability. My Monday morning rant!
My usual LOUD response when I see Efftards riding in such manner is "I SURE HOPE YOU DON"T DRIVE THAT WAY" My #1 pet peave is the people that pass on the right hand side at a stop light or sign to get to the front of the line rather than acting like a vehicle and taking a place in line and moving and blending with traffic.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
get used to it. its that way with EVERYTHING. bad drivers, cellphone talkers, shoppers, etc. best thing you can do is be the best you can.

(i think the ignorant ones get to me more. you know, the guy who rarely rides, and when s/he does, its on the wrong side of the road, down the center of the street, never signals, weaving, never stopping, never looking both ways...)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Do you rant this way whenever you see a driver speeding 5 miles over the limit? What about when people have 11 items in a 10 item grocery checkout?

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I only roll through stop signs when in the middle of nowhere and there are no cars.. Or when the light is red and not changing for me and no cars are waiting as well.

Saturday I amused some people at the intersection by trackstanding for about a minute.. kept rolling back and forth a few inches each way waiting for the light. I actually got a thumbs up from some older guy in an SUV.

I agree that motorists are leery of unpredictability. Kinda like deer running across the road. Maybe we need to attach glowing eyes to our jerseys.. that'll get their attention!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm with Weltyed

I too get annoyed, but there's little you can do except be the good influence on others you ride with. 99% of the time if you try to educate them, they take offense and go off on you. The police dept.s in our town have been educated about the law regarding cyclists and they will ticket gross violators. That's the instant karma I get: riding past a cyclist getting a ticket for blowing a stop in traffic. Also it's nice to know that, if possible, they'll be on my side if something goes bad out there....

Bob

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
I had some douchenozzle on his Trek 2300 fly right in front of my work van on my way to a job. Blew through the stopsign, and he was wearing those Ipod ear buds

btw if you ride with Ipod earbuds you deserve to become road pizza.

As for stopsigns, I rarely come to a complete stop, I usually slow down to 3 or 5 mph and look before I enter the intersection. I do stop at all red lights though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, some "eff-tard" rode on the same road I did and affected me in a significant way. It was a 3 mile distance roughly.

I was riding in the bike lane in a predictable manner. While I rode pretty fast between lights, the jerk cyclist kept running reds, circling at intersections, jumping onto the side walk and back to the road, etc. and caught up with me while I waited at the lights.

Well, the cycling lane ended and I continued on the right side of the road. The moron cyclist started riding between cars and swerving between them. This unnerved the car drivers and they ended up giving more space to the idiot and began driving significantly closer to me. I couldn't blame the drivers for their reaction. So, at a light I asked the other cyclist if it was so hard to follow the rules. We exchanged some expletives and I was told to "get a Trek man" (I ride an Argon 18).

I am usually a fairly calm person, but I thought about beating that guy down for a moment.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
j-dogg said:
I had some douchenozzle on his Trek 2300 fly right in front of my work van on my way to a job. Blew through the stopsign, and he was wearing those Ipod ear buds

btw if you ride with Ipod earbuds you deserve to become road pizza.

As for stopsigns, I rarely come to a complete stop, I usually slow down to 3 or 5 mph and look before I enter the intersection. I do stop at all red lights though.
So you break the law and it's ok, but other people breaks it and the are nozzles. Good to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SM-Rider said:
I was riding in the bike lane in a predictable manner. While I rode pretty fast between lights, the jerk cyclist kept running reds, circling at intersections, jumping onto the side walk and back to the road, etc. and caught up with me while I waited at the lights.

Well, the cycling lane ended and I continued on the right side of the road. The moron cyclist started riding between cars and swerving between them. This unnerved the car drivers and they ended up giving more space to the idiot and began driving significantly closer to me. I couldn't blame the drivers for their reaction. So, at a light I asked the other cyclist if it was so hard to follow the rules. We exchanged some expletives and I was told to "get a Trek man" (I ride an Argon 18).
Just out of curiosity was this guy trying to race you?

He sounds like the posterchild for this thread. :frown2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
ARP said:
My #1 pet peave is the people that pass on the right hand side at a stop light or sign to get to the front of the line rather than acting like a vehicle and taking a place in line and moving and blending with traffic.
In my neck of the woods, that is legal if done safely and there is sufficient room on the road. And frankly, it is one of the things that gives me great joy... I passed about 30-40 vehicles this morning in a few minutes during my ride to work. I was in a bike lane, but I would have done it anyway if it could be done safely.

I do not ride recklessly, or advocate for it, but of the advantages to commuting by bicycle is that you can outpace traffic... Why deliberately get stuck in it? If nothing else, it should make the drivers think they might be better off on a bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
No. He was not trying to race me. I was actually trying to put some distance between us because I didn't want any trouble with frustrated drivers. But, long lights kept that guy in my vicinity.

Yes, he is the poster child for this problem. Funny thing is I see a lot of riders in downtown LA doing this (I work there). I don't get how police just sit back and allow this kind of behavior. I can see rolling through stop signs on occasion (not that I condone), but circling randomly at intersections, going between cars etc. seems a bit much.

·
Registered
482 Posts
anthony.delorenzo said:
In my neck of the woods, that is legal if done safely and there is sufficient room on the road. And frankly, it is one of the things that gives me great joy... I passed about 30-40 vehicles this morning in a few minutes during my ride to work. I was in a bike lane, but I would have done it anyway if it could be done safely.
This move is completely legal in Massachusetts. I think it's safer, and it would be safer still if we got "Bike Boxes", which they apparently have in Oregon, and I think should be bike advocates NUMBER 1 legislative priority.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
SM-Rider said:
This unnerved the car drivers and they ended up giving more space to the idiot and began driving significantly closer to me. I couldn't blame the drivers for their reaction.
What about just getting out of that situation? As in turning off that road or pulling into a parking lot, etc? If you were a minute behind that guy you'd probably never know it happened.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That may be the case. There were periods that I had beat a light and thought that I was past that person for good.

Even so, to me it's more an issue of riding habits affecting people (not just me). That person could be affecting other riders where he went. He was certainly affecting the cars driving around him. I just happened to be around to observe the insanity.

Actually, now that I think about it, there was another cyclist that we caught up to. This other cyclist had cars encroaching on his space as well. We gave each other a look because we knew what the guy was doing and the situation.

That rude rider also further degraded our collective standing in the public eye. Heck, how do you ride in between moving cars safely? Ridiculous.

kykr13 said:
What about just getting out of that situation? As in turning off that road or pulling into a parking lot, etc? If you were a minute behind that guy you'd probably never know it happened.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Your biggest gripe is "blowing through stop signs"? Man - just read the rest of this thread. There's waaaaaaaay bigger things to gripe about! :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts