Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got to say, I was not impressed with Ms. Jacobellis' little stunt at the end of her snowboarder cross run. Looking to go across the line and take the win and the gold, she was way ahead, decided to tweak it out a touch, and yes, crashed. She tried to cover for her slip, but it was so obvious, she was showing to the crowd. She had to limp across in 2nd. She's young, she can go again. But good lord woman. Don't showboat when the gold medal is on the line. Freakin' unbelievable...

It was just like in cycling where you raise your hands before you cross the line, and oops! Someone pips you at the finish..

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
magnolialover said:
Got to say, I was not impressed with Ms. Jacobellis' little stunt at the end of her snowboarder cross run. Looking to go across the line and take the win and the gold, she was way ahead, decided to tweak it out a touch, and yes, crashed. She tried to cover for her slip, but it was so obvious, she was showing to the crowd. She had to limp across in 2nd. She's young, she can go again. But good lord woman. Don't showboat when the gold medal is on the line. Freakin' unbelievable...

It was just like in cycling where you raise your hands before you cross the line, and oops! Someone pips you at the finish..
That's really harsh, don't you think, idiot? No, I don't think so. She's young, maybe she was showboating, so what? If she was the type of personality to play it safe, she'd be studying accounting somewhere and planning on a career as an auditor or something like that. Yes, she took a risk, it resulted in a crash. I say good for her, she was having fun, enjoying the experience. She doesn't owe anyone a gold medal. People are criticizing her as if she had some duty to get the gold and conform to everyone else's paradigm for success. I imagine she has regrets about what happened, and maybe next time she'll do it differently, it's called growing up.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well??

SteveCnj said:
That's really harsh, don't you think, idiot? No, I don't think so. She's young, maybe she was showboating, so what? If she was the type of personality to play it safe, she'd be studying accounting somewhere and planning on a career as an auditor or something like that. Yes, she took a risk, it resulted in a crash. I say good for her, she was having fun, enjoying the experience. She doesn't owe anyone a gold medal. People are criticizing her as if she had some duty to get the gold and conform to everyone else's paradigm for success. I imagine she has regrets about what happened, and maybe next time she'll do it differently, it's called growing up.
Is she there to win or there to have fun? It being the biggest event of the year, and only happening once every 4 years, and the possibility that she might never get the chance to compete in the Olympics again, yeah, she screwed the pooch. She even said she screwed up, and played it too loose. It's a bad bad mistake. Rookie mistake, and even though she's young, she's not inexperienced, she is the reigning world champion in this discipline, frankly, she knows better. She took a risk that she didn't need to take in this case. Tweaking out her last jump, not necessary. I'm pretty sure that she would be enjoying the experience even more if she had a gold medal hanging around her neck, along with the endorsements that come along with that. Paradigm of success? What does that mean? Success, in this case, means winning when she had a huge lead going into the last jump. Yep, she's an idiot. If I were her coach, she'd defintely get an ass chewing. This isn't the freakin' local slip and slide, it's the Olympics.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Did anyone see the piece on it after the race? I thought that was a bit harsh. They said it was possibly "the worst gaff in the history of sports." Then Costas grilled her pretty hard about it for about 10 minutes. When it happened I thought it was pretty funny, but after that I kind of felt bad for her.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worst ever?

whit417 said:
Did anyone see the piece on it after the race? I thought that was a bit harsh. They said it was possibly "the worst gaff in the history of sports." Then Costas grilled her pretty hard about it for about 10 minutes. When it happened I thought it was pretty funny, but after that I kind of felt bad for her.
I don't know about the worst ever gaff in sports history, but it was a boneheaded move. I think though, that she did handle herself well in her interview with Costas, and she more or less admitted, yeah, I was pumped, and I screwed up. I was yelling at the TV when it happened, because before she hit that last jump I was thinking to myself she had better not try to mix it up now that she's in the lead, and sure enough, crash...

I did feel bad for her, but stand by original idot comment. I said the same thing about Zabel when Freire pipped him at the line when he had his hands up. As I said before, there is always the chance that she won't have this chance ever again, to win gold at the Olympics.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
I wouldn't say that it was the worst mistake in the history of sport, but it was pretty silly. She didn't have to do it the way she did, obviously, but she will remember it for the next X-games or Olympics. She said that there was no showboating involved, but to help stabilise her on a jump she had been having trouble with all race. Who knows? If I was her, I would simply laugh it off, be happy with my silver and have a beer with Brazilian snowboarder Clark Ribeiro. That's life.
Cheers, Wayne
http://www.eurosport.com/olympicgames/torino/2006/sport_sto835744.shtml

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
wayneanneli said:
I wouldn't say that it was the worst mistake in the history of sport, but it was pretty silly. She didn't have to do it the way she did, obviously, but she will remember it for the next X-games or Olympics. She said that there was no showboating involved, but to help stabilise her on a jump she had been having trouble with all race. Who knows? If I was her, I would simply laugh it off, be happy with my silver and have a beer with Brazilian snowboarder Clark Ribeiro. That's life.
Cheers, Wayne
http://www.eurosport.com/olympicgames/torino/2006/sport_sto835744.shtml

Congrats to Sweden- finally grabbing a pair of golds after a long drought.

I don't miss US media coverage of the Olympics ( don't think they have shown more than 30 seconds of figure skating here in Norway).... then again, there is more than enough drama of the ski waxing SCANDAL of yesterday. Or the American speedskating coach... so I guess it is everywhere.

I must be an old codger since I don't even think snowboarding belongs in the games.

Most of the snowboarders look like that are at the X-games, or whatever, with their pants falling down. I'm guessing "performance enhancing" drugs are a bit more...."organic" in this "event."

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
filtersweep said:
Congrats to Sweden- finally grabbing a pair of golds after a long drought.

I don't miss US media coverage of the Olympics ( don't think they have shown more than 30 seconds of figure skating here in Norway).... then again, there is more than enough drama of the ski waxing SCANDAL of yesterday. Or the American speedskating coach... so I guess it is everywhere.

I must be an old codger since I don't even think snowboarding belongs in the games.

Most of the snowboarders look like that are at the X-games, or whatever, with their pants falling down. I'm guessing "performance enhancing" drugs are a bit more...."organic" in this "event."
Hi filter,
Yes, those two golds in the cross-country skiing sprints were really exciting. And within an hour of each other. But, geez, why is that countries who lead the medal counts are based on the number of golds they have? Last I looked, Norway had something like 13 medals (1,6,6) but were way down in the medal table because of their lone gold medal. Kind of silly really, considering that it seems to devalue silver and bronze a little. Sweden is having a good games. Anna-Carin Olofsson won a silver in yesterday's 15 km biathlon and looks good for the next race.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
whit417 said:
If it were me I woulda refused the interview. Yes, she pulled a "method" and it cost her the gold medal, $10K, and any possible endorsements. To beat her up in an interview is hardly necessary. I'm sure she already feels bad enough already.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
She is still no Bill Buchner. She is no Terrell Owens. No Darryll Strawberry. No Mike Tyson. It was without a doubt an f up, but in the cosmic grand scheme of things it was not the biggest. She did kind of run out of gas on the last lap of the Indy 500. That has happened to a few guys. Did the home run bounce off her melon like Jose Canseco? Ultimately to me its a game. Was she having fun? Without a doubt. Did the silver suck? Yup. But damn its gonna be a cool story once the sting wears off.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Hi filter,
Yes, those two golds in the cross-country skiing sprints were really exciting. And within an hour of each other. But, geez, why is that countries who lead the medal counts are based on the number of golds they have? Last I looked, Norway had something like 13 medals (1,6,6) but were way down in the medal table because of their lone gold medal. Kind of silly really, considering that it seems to devalue silver and bronze a little. Sweden is having a good games. Anna-Carin Olofsson won a silver in yesterday's 15 km biathlon and looks good for the next race.
Last winter OL Norway lead the gold, but not the total count- IIRC. It is quite amazing for a country with fewer people than the state I moved here from.

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
whit417 said:
Costas was a supreme d**k in that interview. As if she had taken something away from him or caused him some injury. You would think he had a large sum of money bet on the outcome the way he was acting.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,209 Posts
magnolialover said:
Is she there to win or there to have fun?
To have fun.

WAY back when, rock and roll bands would NEVER sell out, but those days are long gone. Extreme sports starts want to sell out for money, but they don't want to sell out the fun. That is the pure spirit of the thing, to ride for FUN number ONE! Just like back in the day bands were in it for the music, man.

I doubt she even thought about showing off, I bet she was just feeling good and threw a move, because that is what she does. From my perspective and yours, stupid. From her world, it just makes sense.

Oh, and PS, you are old and you are grumpy and you sound like every old fogey that has ever lived.... "These kids today...."

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True..

dr hoo said:
To have fun.

WAY back when, rock and roll bands would NEVER sell out, but those days are long gone. Extreme sports starts want to sell out for money, but they don't want to sell out the fun. That is the pure spirit of the thing, to ride for FUN number ONE! Just like back in the day bands were in it for the music, man.

I doubt she even thought about showing off, I bet she was just feeling good and threw a move, because that is what she does. From my perspective and yours, stupid. From her world, it just makes sense.

Oh, and PS, you are old and you are grumpy and you sound like every old fogey that has ever lived.... "These kids today...."
True, about the older and grumpy part, but even when I was a kid and snowboarding was in its infancy, I didn't have much time for the snowboarders then, I've grown to like them now, but her move, silly and folly. Ah well, it's her problem.

If "extreme" sports (I hate the word extreme for some reason) don't want to sell out the fun, then they should stop having competitions, because like a lot of things in life, you start competing, things become less fun and more serious sometimes. Look at extreme skiing competitions. Once the realm of wacky guys with bad haircuts who looked like they were going to kill themselves (and some did), now anyone can just about thrown themselves down the side of a mountain, and someone is scoring it. Extreme sports sold out a long time ago. There is nothing extreme about snowboard cross either, it just looks boring. After the first couple of runs I was like, that's it? As someone else said, normally it's over after they hit the first berm in the course, as if you're in the lead there, not much else is going to change. Oh well. How did this thing get into the Olympics again?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
wayneanneli said:
But, geez, why is that countries who lead the medal counts are based on the number of golds they have? Last I looked, Norway had something like 13 medals (1,6,6) but were way down in the medal table because of their lone gold medal. Kind of silly really, considering that it seems to devalue silver and bronze a little.
I get my Olympic coverage from CBS SportsLine.com and they list the nations by total medals.

This morning they have:
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg1" align="left"><td>Nation</td><td>G</td><td>S</td><td>B</td><td>T</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">
GER</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">15</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">
NOR</td><td align="left">1</td><td align="left">7</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">14</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">
RUS</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">5</td><td align="left">13</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">
CAN</td><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">4</td><td align="left">5</td><td align="left">11</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">
USA</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">1</td><td align="left">10</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">
AUT</td><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">1</td><td align="left">6</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">
SUI</td><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">6</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
She screwed up but got a silver and maybe help others as young think first. I'm not going sleepless over it.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
SteveCnj said:
Costas was a supreme d**k in that interview. As if she had taken something away from him or caused him some injury. You would think he had a large sum of money bet on the outcome the way he was acting.
It wasn't so much Costas as it was the stupid interview in the first place. We were watching it last night, and after everyone with a microphone blasting her over and over, then NBC wastes our time with an interview where they blast her some more. Give it a rest! She screwed up, let's move on. I would rather NBC show us some actual competition than rehash a stupid moment and go "in depth" as if it were a breaking news event. I'll bet there is a special hour devoted to this tonight, instead of showing alpine skiing. NBC won't stop until the girl cries, thereby atoning for her sins and making another great Olympic moment on NBC.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
kpcw said:
Only when you lose, giving it everything you had, can you find out what it takes to win. Kids today....
So Bode must be your new hero now? He gives it everything he has, and he continues to lose.

And yet you revel in his losses.

I call hypocrite. And your rant is dumb.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
kpcw said:
Dude, you are smoking crack if you think these athletes are there to have fun. Like the young lady on MSNBC said today (she is an hot female American former Olympic athlete), "It is amazing, you can win in World's, yet you come to the Olympics and your knees buckle....it is a different arena, the World is watching" etc etc.

Her point is plain and easy, The Olympics offer pressure pressure and more pressure.

These athletes are there TO WIN and to WIN GOLD.

Fun?

Fun is making sand castles at low tide.

Fun is cleaning and detailing your bike.

Fun is a roll in the hay with a hot chick.

Athletes, of the Olympic level, experience true fun when they truly win.

If you think they are there to have fun, I believe you are 99% wrong. When did it become politically correct to talk about losing as "fun"? It is a liberal mantra....oh, go play and have fun. Heck in Santa Monica years ago they the local school system tried to ban dodgeball! Noooo, my Johnny cannot get pegged in dodgeball, he'll cry! They also tried to get rid of cuts, remember when you tried out for a sport in school and the kids who were spastic, fat, lazy or stoopid...they did not make the team? Well in parts of CA, they tried to ban cuts! Noooo, my Mary tried out for the softball team, I pay taxes in the school district...my Mary will cry and pout and be damaged for life if she is cut! We need to treat kids as equals!

What does all that do? SHow kids that the lowest common denominator is good? That those who excel and may win a scholorship now have to lose minutes on the field where they could shine, cause some spazz of a kid has to get some minutes too?

SPorts of the Olympic level of for people like Chris Chelios, a 44 year old WARRIOR who would give his left nut to win a gold for US Mens Hockey. Joe Sakic took a stick to the face today for Canada, he is another WARRIOR, not some himbo or bimbo or some pinko who is there to have fuuuunnnn. Fun for a true athlete, a true warrior is victory.

Sorry for my rant, but I am sick of how kids are being raised to have fun, not get cut from teams and not learn what it takes to win and how it feels to lose. Only when you lose, giving it everything you had, can you find out what it takes to win. Kids today....

He's 44 and she's a kid at 20,hugh difference. They have plenty of reg life pressure's and not having fun is why they grow up to be all fuc$ed up. You must have been loads of fun growing up.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.