Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were out for a quick ride this afternoon on a farm road with a nice shoulder in West Texas. A truck passed us and as it passed, the driver honked his horn while his passenger launched a full water bottle out of the truck at me. It was dead on line, but a little high. It went over my head and into the ditch. The truck was doing at least 70 mph. I didn't get the license plate in time and I was furious. If the bottle had hit me or my front wheel, I would have gone down for sure. I'm sure this has happened to many on these boards, but this was a first for me. What was this idiot thinking and what legal precedents are there in cases like this?

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I did a quick search, but didn't find a thread right off. Thanks in advance.

·
I self medicate, I ride
37 Posts
I have had a myriad of things thrown at me, beer cans (full), water balloons thrown from passing cars, McD's wrappers and if you count being intentionally run off the road then vehicles, oh yeah and got wacked in the back of the head by an overhanging lawnmower handle on a lawn service trailer. Fortunately the only the launched water balloons hit. I got plate and description, even picked up H2O balloon remnants. When the cops finally arrived they said that they couldn't do much but they would run the plate and "talk to the teenagers parents." I iterated my concerns about the What If possibilities but it went nowhere. Basically they said I needed to be injured to pursue the matter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This has been a bad summer for me and idiots drivers. Maybe it's the price of gas or I look really small on my bike. I'm 6'2, 200 lbs.

I commuted to work on a sunday morning with no traffic, and still ended up chasing a car into a Dunkin Donuts Parking lot after an idot driver buzzed me on purpose. When the driver saw me coming after him, he jumped back into his car and drove off. Punk.

It was nobody on the road, but me and that idiot. He just had to be a jerk. A few weeks back, I caught an idiot hanging out of the passenger window with arms out of the windows acting like he was going to try and push me off of my bike.

Both times my mirror saved me. I saw the cars coming.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
slowrider said:
This has been a bad summer for me and idiots drivers. .

For me as well. It seems to be at an all time this year. A good one for me was on Saturday riding in a rural area. A side road (the stop road) came up to the main road I was travelling on; a T-intersection. A young girl, driving a big Dodge truck on her cell phone, rolled through the stop sign almost T-boning me. She actually smiled at me.

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
natsquared said:
When the cops finally arrived they said that they couldn't do much but they would run the plate and "talk to the teenagers parents." I iterated my concerns about the What If possibilities but it went nowhere. Basically they said I needed to be injured to pursue the matter.
I'm afraid this is the case most of the time. I was hoping to see that someone had reported this and it resulted in a ticket or charges being pressed. The truck that I wrote about had a business sticker on the side. A guy should lose his job for that kind of behavior. Had he hit me, I would have lost time from my job.

Just because an injury didn't happen doesn't mean it shouldn't be pursued. They write speeding tickets all the time in the interest of public safety. No one was hurt by the speeder but the possibility existed because of his/her excessive speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When i was riding a bike back in the 80s someone tried to hit me with a stick from a moving car. One time my teacher was on her bike and someone in a car punched her (also in the 80s). I thought everyone having cell phones would of put a end to this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dart said:
I'm afraid this is the case most of the time. I was hoping to see that someone had reported this and it resulted in a ticket or charges being pressed. The truck that I wrote about had a business sticker on the side. A guy should lose his job for that kind of behavior. Had he hit me, I would have lost time from my job.

Just because an injury didn't happen doesn't mean it shouldn't be pursued. They write speeding tickets all the time in the interest of public safety. No one was hurt by the speeder but the possibility existed because of his/her excessive speed.
It always baffles me when a guy driving his *work truck* with an employer's business, phone number, truck number etc clearly displayed will act like a dangerous freak. I had a run-in a couple of years ago with a So Cal Gas Co driver who deliberately buzzed me twice because he couldn't share the lane with me and who then proceeded to threaten me at not one but two stop lights. I took his info, pulled into a driveway and called the 800 number that was plastered all over his vehicle. I gave a report to a customer service person and, lo and behold, received a call from a supervisor a few days later while waiting for a flight at the airport. The guy was very helpful and agreed that my story both immediately after the fact and a week later was the same (funny how easily one can burn events into one's memory) and stated that their drivers go to the same driving method school (or whatever) as FedEx and UPS and that they should in no way be driving aggresively and threatening cyclists. I had pointed out that my gas bill does, in part, help to pay this guy's salary and, seeing as I have no choice but to have SoCal Gas Co as my provider, I did not appreciate the driver's behavior. The supervisor even proceeded to tell me that the driver's behavior did not surprise him and that they had had issues with him in the past (!!!???) and that this report would go in his employee file. So, I guess the point is that if you can ever file a report do so because it may be the nail in the employment coffin of a guy who should not be driving a vehicle as an occupation. Honestly, I used to be a delivery guy and the last thing I wanted to do was be involved in an accident or get fired as a result of my driving. If he does not have the temperment to operate a vehicle responsibly then he is simply not suited for the job.

·
Registered
706 Posts
B15serv said:
The penalty is me catching up at the next light, dragging him out of his car and beating his a$$ in the middle of an intersection.
I've always been curious after reading this similar response to similar questions/scenarios. My question is this. Do you take off your road shoes because those cleats are awefully slippery?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
A couple of years ago I was leaving the school parking lot on my bike, when a car with 3 students in it passed me. As they did, they threw a half empty pop bottle at me. It missed. I caught up with them at a traffic light, and I took my open hand and and hit the passenger window as hard as I could. It didn't break, but all 3 occupants looked straight ahead, and were basically paralyzed with fear.

Next day at school, I ran a computer program available to staff members & got their names. The guy that threw the bottle was suspended for 10 days, the driver lost his parking permit permanently. The girl in the back seat got nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lot8con8 said:
A young girl, driving a big Dodge truck on her cell phone, rolled through the stop sign almost T-boning me. She actually smiled at me.
Must have been the idiot I saw a while back talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette with the other hand, all while trying to make a right turn. idiot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.