Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I prepared my taxes this weekend and found that I had overpaid the goverment about $1,200, I thought about buying a new bike. My wife pointed out a bunch of higher priority things we could spend the money on but a guy can dream ...

So I thought a '04 Jake the Snake would be a nice place to start. I'm not too thrilled about the wheel spec, I would want wide (46cm) bars, and I think I would go with a 1x9 config. I wondered what the LBS would charge for the upgrades I'd want and figured that it might go up to $1,400 or $1,500.

Shoot, for that price, I could just spec the bike how I want and put it together myself. So I put together my shopping list:

* Jake the Snake frame 52cm
* Ksyrium Equipe wheelset (new for '04, cheaper than the Elites)
* Salsa Moto Ace Bell Lap bar 46cm
* ITM Threadless stem 120mm, 1-1/8"
* Cane Creep C2 headset 1-1/8"
* Cinelli cork ribbon, black
* Carbon fiber spacers
* Ultegra STI shifters (all my other bikes are Shimano, can't switch now)
* Ultegra rear der
* Ultegra cassette 12-27
* Salsa Shaft seatpost
* Ritchy Pro Cross crank 172.5mm (w/ single 42 ring and outer guard)
* Ultegra BB
* Paul Neo Retro canti front
* Paul Touring canti rear
* Time ATAC Alium pedals
* Cables, brake and der
* Terry Men's Fly Ti saddle
* Sibex Ti fork

I think by scrounging around, I can get all this stuff new for around $2k. I think the only two extravagent items are the Paul cantis and the Sibex fork. Substitute cheaper alternatives and I could park this beast for $1,500 or $1,600. So now all I have to do is sell my wife on a savings account for a new ride ...

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
hey you could make it cheaper if you're willing to swap pedals from your other bikes... or seatpost, seats for that matter.... or even wheels...

let me know if you figure out how to sell it to your wife.

my fiance is still shaking her head about having too many bikes in the house (4 incl. her mountain bike)...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
is 4 too many? I'm over the limit then.
2 cx (both mine)
2 road (mine, wifes) sold my 2nd Roadie
2 MTBs (mine, wifes)
is adding a Pista Bike way out of bounds?

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
hey if i had my way it'd be:

Cross bike
Road bike
HT mtn bike
FS mtn bike
DH/FR bike

and for my fiance

FS mtn bike
Road bike

but that's a pipe dream in our small, small apartment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Then I guess I would have WAY to many!

2 Cyclocross
1 Road
1 Track
1FS
1HT

+ my wife's, she only encourages me, never any arguements, Ask dreww

Must be an early mid life crisis.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just recieved clearance from the keeper of the purse strings. I started my new cx campaign about 4 months ago. Subtlety is the key. A hint here, a pic of the new prospect left up on the computer etc.... No direct statements like "I going to go buy that bike", that went over like a lead baloon. Make it look like you want some chi chi ride and then in the spirit of compromise present the bike you have been angling for. It also helps if you ask her what she thinks of your color choices. She likes the "tiffany" blue, I'm sure there is a subtle hint in there. Hmmm. I also had to sell off a few bikes and will have to sell my old cx frame when I recieve the new one. Ohh well.

The stable is now down to 1 cross bike and 1 29er fs mtb.

Good luck with your lobbying efforts,

e

·
Registered
43 Posts
Uh oh?

I might be over the limit. What I have up and running is:

1 cx
2 road (1 mine 1 my son's)
1 ss
1 fs mtn.

But in my shop hanging in the corner is a lot. 60s Gitane, Fisher HKEK, Dagger fs, plus about 5 others. Then I have this trailer,...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
oh man that reminds me...

I have a collection of old cruisers and an early 80's MTB at my parents house. Yikes!
3/32 Dreww yer freakin' killing me! LOL!!!!!
no my trackie will be whatever I can get cheap which most likely means old
which most likely means 1/8
me and my damn matrix'

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Visit the General board a few times. Those guys have massive stables. Mine is smallish and I have, to date;
1 CX
2 road (good one and rain/beater)
1 fixie
1 mtb hardtail
1 Look KG361 frame and fork waiting to be sold
Plus 1 bike for each of my 2 kids and 1 for my wife.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 'cross
1 road
1 track/fixed/fendered
2 hardtail (1 wife's)
1 hardtail SS

After 4 seasons on a CX frame that was a bit too small and slightly askew in the rear triangle, I finally bought a new frame and built it up with most of the old parts from the old bike (the drivetrain being less than 1 season old). To date, I've never been able to build up a bike from old parts without making at least one trip to LBS to buy something.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I don't think that I can go for much more than 1 week without my pilgrimmage to the LBS. You know, you can always get something there!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Small stable now:
1 x CX soon to add indentical 2nd
1 x FS
1 x HT
1 x road
1 x winter beater
2 x wifes
1 x tricycle

8 years ago, when I was really nuts (and single)
3 x CX (all same)
1 x race road
2 x training road winter/summer
1 x track
1 x track lo pro/pursuit
1 x HT
1 x winter fixed
1 x set up on trainer permanently
1 x no life outside of riding. :)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
thanx now I don't feel so bad. my stable has decreased with added family / life as well. then again I need room for surfboards and fishing gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts