Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there were a few other people in here with TDIs that were thinking about selling them back or keeping them. I ended up selling my car back to VW after only 2 years of owning it. Not because I wasn't happy with the car but because my needs changed and I wanted to start working for myself so I needed a truck. I found a really nice 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab. With what VW was giving me I was still losing money but the payments would stay the same so I took it.

VW took the car back Feb 7th and I was told at the closing it would take 7 days for Wells Fargo to get payed off. I waited a week and called WF and asked if they got the payment. And was told no. I started calling VW every few days after that and they finally payed it on Feb 27. I then called WF to verify that they got the payment. I was then told it was short $68. So I started calling VW every few days again and finally got to talk to a supervisor 2 weeks ago that told me several times on the phone they would pay it in 3 days. Fast forward a week and WF is calling me every day looking for the money. This is where things get interesting. According to WF this is in collections for being 30days late. I asked the guy if you guys just got $9,000 2 weeks ago for a lone that was going to be for 5 years how is it 30days late. They don't count payments that size to your monthly payment making the $68 30 days late. And they are imposing $1 day late fee for every day I continue to be late. I told him VW has to pay this its there mistake and I don't even have the car anymore. So more calls to VW and I am getting nowhere they won't let me talk to anyone that actually knows whats going on. The girl on the phone at VW told me today all she could so was email the people who decide who to pay and someone might call me back some day. And then I get 2 WF calls trying to collect today. I have had enough and offer to pay the $68 myself. Its at this point they tell me its in collections because the value is over $20 but thats because they put a made up $55 late fee on what they were actually shorted. So were actually talking about $13. And then he offers to give me the $68 back after they get it from VW. But the catch is I would have to call them to find out if VW gave them any money because they won't contact me. So I'm hopping thats is and I am finally finished with the nightmare. I would not at all be surprised if in a year or 2 we find out Wells Fargo was making up the shortages so they could make extra money off people.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
Did you really believe those lying thieves at VW were going to make it easy for you? My friend decided to keep his VW because it wasn't worth the loss and he is happy with the car..
I'd sooner pin this on the vampires at Wells Fargo. They have a rep for this kind of thing.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd sooner pin this on the vampires at Wells Fargo. They have a rep for this kind of thing.
Thats kind what I'm thinking. I would bet someone at Wells Fargo figured out if they tak on some extra on every one that has a VW buy back they make a bunch of money.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My appointment is on April 21st, to trade our TDI in.

I'll report at that time.
If you have a lone on the car keep after VW to pay it off. They did't send my check to Wells Fargo till after I hounded them for 2 weeks.

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
Thats kind what I'm thinking. I would bet someone at Wells Fargo figured out if they tak on some extra on every one that has a VW buy back they make a bunch of money.
From your initial description of events, it doesn't sound like VW's hands are too clean here either.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I turned mine in on 2/14. Walked in they checked the car and handed me a check. Since I had my loan through VW I didn't have to masker any more payments. They paid loan on 2/22 got my overage check back 2 weeks later. I used the car for 2.5 years and only put fuel in it, they did everything else for free. Sold it back for more than I paid for it.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I've found that difficult customer service reps stop playing games when I tell them I've been recording all my phone calls with them.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Have you looked into selling the car yourself? There might be someone out there who wants one and doesn't give a rat's @ss about the emissions.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Will people be able to get plates on a car that doesn't meet emission standards???? Is it legal to sell it to a private party??

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Will people be able to get plates on a car that doesn't meet emission standards???? Is it legal to sell it to a private party??
They have a defeat device on them that makes them pass emissions tests. Will states single them out and not issue plates is an interesting question. I'd bet not.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
They have a defeat device on them that makes them pass emissions tests. Will states single them out and not issue plates is an interesting question. I'd bet not.
It may depend on the state. Here in NJ they no longer take a reading off of your tailpipe. That do a read-out of your computer and if the computer says you pass, you passed. I did a search and I see posts from VW owners saying the NJ inspection did not change anything for their VW. If you are in a state where they take an actual reading (does that still exist?), then you may have an issue.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I'm in VA and they haven't done a tail pipe censor in years here. The car was designed to fool emissions tests, and being good German engineering and all, I'd bet it's very effective at doing that.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
My buyback experience was awesome.

Lots of money -- much more than the car would have been worth selling it in perfect condition... and a flawless and easy buyback procedure.

Sorry OP you had problems.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My buyback experience was awesome.

Lots of money -- much more than the car would have been worth selling it in perfect condition... and a flawless and easy buyback procedure.

Sorry OP you had problems.
I think it depended greatly on if you had a loan on the car and if it was an older high millage car. My sprtwagon was a 2011 and had 98k on it. I got it used and paid a premium for it because it was a 6sp manual and had the Pano roof. But because VW only gave us trade in value and took off for millage and for having a stick I lost $6k on the 2 years I had the car. All I wanted back was the $12k I got for the Subaru I traded for the car right before all scandal broke. If they gave me what I paid for it and then gave us the settlement money I would have been happy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts