Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a real cheap 80's steel frame that I can hopefully mate with my more current parts.
If I do take this route, what challenges should I expect? I'm aware that the headsets back then were threaded and the stems were different. Can I get a threadless setup with an old frame?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Use an adaptor--the base goes in like a quill, the top takes the threadless stem.

The rear spacing may need to be spread ("cold-set") if you can't spread the rear triangle with your hands to put the rear hub in the dropouts.

The frame may not work with short-reach brakes. But you can easily get Tektro or Shimano mid-reach calipers (47-57 mm, I think).

I think those are the biggies.

Oh, and make sure it's not French. :)

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been eyeing japanese steel, so they should be 700C wheels. I had an old Lotus Japanese steel bike, but my mother threw it out when she moved. Had I known the value of it, I'd be riding it now instead of this cheapo I got... It also fit me so much better, and I liked the looks 100 times more. Before I came to these forums, I just figured (ignorantly) that it wasn't worth anything anymore.
Now I feel wee todd it, sofa king we todd it...

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
You might consider just getting a good old quill stem- a skinny forged quill stem looks so right on a skinny-tubed steel bike.

I'd argue that a quill stem is better 99% of the time- easy, one bolt height adjustment, one bolt adjustment for bars, plenty stiff for yer average rider. Plus, they come in shiny polished aluminum instead of powder coated black with giant logos.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ditto,
And why look for a "cheap" frame? I have a modern ride or two BUT what you will find is old bikes are as fast as new ones. Period! Ask those with both. Components are certainly easier to deal with and bifters are certainly quicker and more convenient but the actual frames were better IMO. Modern marketing won't let you keep believing this but every time I take my PX-10 out, I'm surprised at how much smoother it is than my new bikes. And oops, it's French!...... with all Campy ;)
IMO, oversized handlebars, stem adapters, superwide 11-speed rears, and huge headtubes add weight, reduce streamlining, can weaken components, and do little for performance. These are advances that answered questions no one was asking but keep people upgrading.
The marriage of a quality old frame and new parts make the perfect sleeper and makes you notice how everyone else on the groupride knows little about what makes a bike work!
Good luck!
Dave
KC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.