Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I knew then, what I know now, I would/wouldn't have...

What would have you bought?

What would have you avoided?

What mistake(s) would you "not" make?

(Thread set up to give us Newbs the benefit of your 20/20 hindsight :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
618 Posts
Would have purchased A LOT of Microsoft stock on March 14 1986. With the money I made, I would have purchased property in Park City and Jackson Hole.....then sank a ton of cash in the IPO of Google stock August 19 2004....:wink5:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bike related I wish I had waited a bit longer on purchasing my bike and looked around at a year or 2 old used bike and gotten a lot more for the money than my new LBS bike. It was worth it to an extent for a good fitting/having a lbs to help with issues with the bike but I do feel I could have gotten a lot more of a bike for the money spent.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
bought:
1) expert fit and coaching advice from the get-go - its more important than what bike you have
2) bike insurance

avoided:
1) saddle bags
2) crap kit (including poor knicks - uncomfortable)
3) rides/groups with too much attitude. IGNORE, not as good as they think they are, and you WILL find national/international level competitors with a good head on their shoulders that will help you out, give good advice and are just generally a better bunch to hang around. Don't let the legendary roadie prick 'tude ever get u down, they're losers.

mistakes:
none. Game is about learning, that's where you do your best learin' methinks. Just never be afraid to race, and try to do so often - helps with the learning.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Bike related:

Bought the SL or SLX tubed version of the Atala which came with the chrome fork. Way more consumables like freewheels-cogs, chainrings, BB's, headsets for the now old rides.

Dream purchases: Schwin Paramounts, Ciocc, Pinarello, GIOS, Serotta...but that was unrealistic as a $$ starved college kid.

Avoided:
Buying a bike each season as I learned what my preferences were. That routine the first four years was $$. It was a good education so I dunno if that is part of the experience. Getting it right the first or second time would have saved plenty of $$

Mistake:
Not "give away" parts of the gruppo I didn't use. Pedals mainly. I put a handful of 600EX pedals in a box and gave those to Salvation Army as I did with a brand new Ofmega crankset which today would have been useful.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Avoided: high zoot / low spoke count wheels.

-Actually, I knew it then, too - but I fell to the lust.

Bought: Quality.

-The joy of 'good' lasts far longer than the pleasure of 'cheap.'

Mistake: Unclipping left foot, falling right.

-I reserve the right to try that one again, tho.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Hmmm. Been riding nearly 50 years. Lots of water over the dam during that time. The first things that comes to my mind are:

1. I would never have bought an aluminum bike.
2. I never would have started "adult" riding on a Schwinn Varsity.
3. I would have commuted to work more often.
5. There are several items eg shoes, saddles etc that I should have bought several of before they became discontinued.
6. I should have stopped racing before I did.
7. I would never have bought an aluminum bike.
8. I'd like to have started using home brew before I did.
9. I'd like to have discovered RBR before I did.
and last but not least
10. I would never have bought an aluminum bike.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
I would not have given away my 1984 team usa steel raleigh.
Upon returning to roadie, I would have bought, not built.
Certain things are worth the price. Especially when it comes to contact points.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
+1 on all aluminium road bike being a bad decision. torture test. been there done that have the scars. but add carbon forks and carbon stays and make a positive difference to aluminium road bicycle IMO. And replace tyres with 25c or even 28c tyres make even bigger difference (with lower pressures). Then aluminium bike is almost ok! Sorry, off topic.

my biggest regret is not going to a really good bike fitter first and foremost. That would have saved me at least $6000 (wrong bike size/geometry and a lot of poorly fitting spare parts!).

Other cycling regret was that I did not start cycling until I was old (44). Now, 5 years later, I am faster and fitter but also older at 49! Dang. Live and learn.

Everything else (cycling wise) is so minor in comparison that it is not worth mentioning.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Hmmm. Been riding nearly 50 years. Lots of water over the dam during that time. The first things that comes to my mind are:

1. I would never have bought an aluminum bike.
2. I never would have started "adult" riding on a Schwinn Varsity.
3. I would have commuted to work more often.
5. There are several items eg shoes, saddles etc that I should have bought several of before they became discontinued.
6. I should have stopped racing before I did.
7. I would never have bought an aluminum bike.
8. I'd like to have started using home brew before I did.
9. I'd like to have discovered RBR before I did.
and last but not least
10. I would never have bought an aluminum bike.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd like to have
1. Started riding again much earlier than I did.
2. Avoided an etry-level hybrid trap and bought a good CF bike much earlier than I did.
3. Got a commuter (older japanese steel bike) and started commuting daily in any weather much earlier than I did.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
That aluminum bike...is it one of those stove piped sized 'Dale's/Klein's from the later 80's and early 90's? I still enjoy the time on the 979 Vitus. Any century, back when I did them was on the Vitus.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I dunno. I've had a few AL bikes that rode better than the steel bikes in the garage at the same time. The E-5 S-works I had got ridden LOTS more than the steel bikes just cause it was nicer to ride.

AFA the early C-dales? I agree. Had an 87 Criterium model that I rode for a year before I got my first SLX bike. They're great for sprints, crits, and rides up to about an hour. Anything other than that? no thanks.

Basically, there's not much I wouldn't have bought, but there's more'n a few things I wish I hadn't sold: my first Concorde, my SL Battaglin with full Sachs NS, etc.

I've hadta rebuy some Sidis. I just got tired of looking at my last 2 pairs and sold em.

Oh, cheep shorts. Stick to quality bibs. Not necessarily the most expensive, but quality.

HTH

M

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
What would have you bought?
A) Nothing different. My purchases progressed with my skill.

What would have you avoided?
A) Riding in back of people who didn't know what they were doing.
(but that was a slow learning experience)

What mistake(s) would you "not" make?
A) Mistakes?...........I don't call them mistakes. I call them "learning experiences". If I changed anything in my life, I wouldn't be the same person anymore.
(some people might think that that would be a good thing)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts