·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I no longer riding a bike? :

801.150 "Bicycle." "Bicycle" means a vehicle that:
(1) Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
(2) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(4) Is propelled exclusively by human power; and
(5) Has every wheel more than 14 inches in diameter or two tandem wheels either of which is more than 14 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've ridden w/o a saddle before (sorta). When I left the bike in the rain w/ no bag over the seat, just pedaled standing up. I'm just wondering (semi-seriously) what I'd be classified as legally if it didn't have a saddle... Cyclist? Ped? Crazy alien creature who no longer needs to obey any bike laws???

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Lawerly response

1. What's a "bike"? The quoted statute (I presume it's a statute), defines the term "bicycle."

2. Please give full citation in accepted format when referencing a statute.

3. For purposes of the statutes using the term "bicycle" as defined here, it indeed does appear that a vehicle without a seat or saddle would not be governed by those statutes.

4. That may be a good or bad thing for you, depending on the statute in question (some statutes may grant rights to "bicycles," or impose duties on motorists with respect to them, that you'd rather be able to take advantage of).

Cyclist response:

1. How far have you ridden on a "bicycle" with no saddle?

2. I once had the seatclamp bolt shear off on my commuter bike on the way to work. I removed the seatpost and rode the remaining 2 miles to work, then 6 miles home. It's a fixed-gear bike; it was HARD.

Generally curious responses:

The wheel size restriction, combined with the "no more than 3" specification, would mean that some tricycles are bicycles, and some small-wheeled bicycles are not bicycles. I'm not sure about unicycles. Subsection (1) does say "wheels", but "no more than three" is ambiguous -- they could have said "two or three" if they meant to exclude one-wheeled vehicles.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Yeah,

GirchyGirchy said:
You still in effect have a seat....it's just not one you'd want to use.
Like the seat clamp I had to carefully avoid hitting while riding home with the saddle in my pocket. The bolt broke. :eek6:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A seat is just a "space reserved for sitting." In your case, the seatpost is now your seat. If you removed that, the seat collar/top tube would be your seat ;) It's like going from an H1 to an HMMWV :thumbsup:

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Mr Garrison & "It"

... Mr. Garrison, tired of the inefficient and frustrating airline check-ins, decides to invent his own vehicle. ... he invents the gyroscope-powered monowheel "IT."

"IT" is a rip on the nickname of the famous Segway PT. "IT" can go up to two hundred miles per hour, gets three hundred miles to the gallon, and is an all-around better mode of travel.

The only problem is that it is controlled by an uncomfortable method; using four "flexi-grip handles" that somewhat resemble erect penises; two used by the hands, one in the mouth, and a fourth handle which is inserted into the anus...

--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Entity_(South_Park)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
um . . .

Fredrico said:
Like the seat clamp I had to carefully avoid hitting while riding home with the saddle in my pocket. The bolt broke. :eek6:
You're supposed to take out your multi-tool (you do carry tools, right?), and put the seatpost in the other pocket.

I'm glad you made it with all your parts intact.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
clarification

I think that yu need t really have a reason to ask this question. it is an interestingone, but without any real reason to rediefine the bike, pretty much no one would care.
an example;
I fish a local stream where it's illegal to wade the stream while fishing. In talking to a game dept official one time, it came up that I could wade the stream all I wanted if I wasn't fishing, as if I wasn't fishing, the law did not apply to me and I was prety much "none of his business". This was because the law was a Game Dept regulation and not a local county or city ordinance. Ther are more examples but I think this makes my point.
I think that you may not fit the technical clasification of a bicyclist but it's a moot point if there is no advantage (or reason to do so) to it.
I mean if you were trying to say that you were the same as pedistrian and subject ot the same laws, well if you come to a stop sign, it applies to everything, not just cars bikes and people.
Get my drift?

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Come to think of it,

JCavilia said:
You're supposed to take out your multi-tool (you do carry tools, right?), and put the seatpost in the other pocket.

I'm glad you made it with all your parts intact.
:eek:
That was the only time in 25 years of riding, I truly wished I'd had a 5mm allen wrench! I never carry tools, as I'm the only person who works on my bikes, and know them like the back of my hand, actually probably better than the back of my hand.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
MWPDX said:
Am I no longer riding a bike? :

801.150 "Bicycle." "Bicycle" means a vehicle that:
(1) Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
(2) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(4) Is propelled exclusively by human power; and
(5) Has every wheel more than 14 inches in diameter or two tandem wheels either of which is more than 14 inches in diameter.
As long as we're getting technical, let's understand you're not "riding" a bike. You're driving a bike. You "ride" in a car. A motor drives the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts