Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to travel somewhere this coming year for a cross race. This will be my third year racing and would like to check out a cool race venue/series that has some history, and get to see some top racers compete. Any suggestions of where I should go? I am in Chicago, and I am willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the US for a long weekend. I figure it is never too early to start planning.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
gregdogg62 said:
I want to travel somewhere this coming year for a cross race. This will be my third year racing and would like to check out a cool race venue/series that has some history, and get to see some top racers compete. Any suggestions of where I should go? I am in Chicago, and I am willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the US for a long weekend. I figure it is never too early to start planning.

Thanks
Perhaps, a trip to one of the USGP stops would be fun. If you are going to travel to a race you might as well travel to one of the biggest US 'cross racing weekends of the season.
 

·
More Cowbell!
Joined
·
4,832 Posts
gregdogg62 said:
Any suggestions of where I should go? I am in Chicago, and I am willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the US for a long weekend. I figure it is never too early to start planning.
I agree with Matt. Try one of the USGP stops. I'd recommend the Olympia, Washington and Portland, Oregon stops since cross is really big in the PacNW. The Portland based Cross Crusade runs the biggest cross series in the US in rider participation. This year the PacNW stops are in mid November and basically guaranteed to have mud and rain. The two races are about 2 hours drive apart.

The USGP stops in Boulder this year which is a 16 or so hour drive for you so that might be the better choice. Cross is pretty big in CO but when I think cross, I think NE or NW. The benefit is that you can race both days without leaving Boulder.

The New England stop would also be a good choice though I haven't raced in that neck of the woods.

I'd bet Matt will back me up that the NW leg will rock!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Another good option would be to hit Seattle in early October for Star Crossed on Sat. & a Seattle cyclocross series race on Sunday. Most of the top Elite racers come out for Saturday with several of them hitting the local series race on Sunday too. Its a pretty cool party. Check out some pics from last year on the links below.

http://www.broadmarkcycling.com/starcrossedcx/

http://www.seattlecyclocross.com/

DP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
You read my mind

DPCX said:
Another good option would be to hit Seattle in early October for Star Crossed on Sat. & a Seattle cyclocross series race on Sunday. Most of the top Elite racers come out for Saturday with several of them hitting the local series race on Sunday too. Its a pretty cool party. Check out some pics from last year on the links below.

http://www.broadmarkcycling.com/starcrossedcx/

http://www.seattlecyclocross.com/

DP
I was thinking starcrossed also, sweet, race, big names to watch in the pro race. Usually it has been nice weather, but last year I got hailed on and rained on and thankfully not struck by lightning. And a nice local series race the next morning, you could even call it a hang over KRIT, oh on dirt!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
single1x1 said:
I was thinking starcrossed also, sweet, race, big names to watch in the pro race. Usually it has been nice weather, but last year I got hailed on and rained on and thankfully not struck by lightning. And a nice local series race the next morning, you could even call it a hang over KRIT, oh on dirt!!
Yeah, last year was EPIC! The best one so far (for a racer, maybe not so much for spectating in that downpoor, however, the beer garden tent would have been Ok). I like the hang over Krit analogy. I just found a pic of myself from last years edition & i already looked hung-over & my race wasnt even done yet. ;)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/465613123/1465673991059046586veqWaU

DP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
closer to you are uci races in Ohio and Michigan and the UCI in Aurora, Ontario Canada would all be nice options to consider for car trips. Flying to races kind of stinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
Nationals!

It's not to be missed. It was kind of outragous this last year, weather-wise (actually, for at least the last 4 years...) but it's an important pilgrimage for any US 'crosser. Are there any other countries that have a national championships that does all the different ages and Elite races in a weekend, on the same course? I'll reccomend Nats to anyone that hasn't been, the vibe is awesome and there's alway the biggest spectator turnout.
 

·
SF
Joined
·
257 Posts
definitely gloucester

euro-trash said:
Glouster.
gloucester is a great venue with lots of spectators and a pretty classic "new england" cross experience. plus, it's usually during halloween weekend so there are other festivities to be had...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
xccx said:
gloucester is a great venue with lots of spectators and a pretty classic "new england" cross experience. plus, it's usually during halloween weekend so there are other festivities to be had...
They moved up the date on Gloucester to Oct 7 & 8th.
I have been meaning to go to one of these things for the past few years & this could finally be it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
If you decide on the Boulder race let me know as I can probably set you up with free housing. I took in a guy from New Mexico last year and it worked out well for everyone. I live in Parker which is east of Denver. If you are interested, email me at cyclist462 at hotmail.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Nothing beats a nice Bay Area Super Prestige cross race in San Francisco. You can probably just leave the long tights and arm warmers at home. Well go ahead and bring them because you never know when the temp might dip below 50 degrees.
 

·
More Cowbell!
Joined
·
4,832 Posts
BrokenSpoke said:
If you decide on the Boulder race let me know as I can probably set you up with free housing. I took in a guy from New Mexico last year and it worked out well for everyone. I live in Parker which is east of Denver. If you are interested, email me at cyclist462 at hotmail.com
Even though I think the NW (Olympia and Portland) edition of the USGP would be great, I reiterate my choice for Boulder. For Gloucester, Seattle, San Fran, Portland, etc. you'll have to fly. You can drive to Boulder -- a long drive for sure but doable in a day (but Nebraska sucks big time). I would head out the previous Saturday to acclimate at least a little. Train and sightsee for the week and try to preride the course. Race on Saturday and Sunday and head home on Monday.

While there will be some UCI races in the midwest, they won't be anything like the USGP experience.
 

·
50ft. Queenie
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
xccx said:
gloucester is a great venue with lots of spectators and a pretty classic "new england" cross experience. plus, it's usually during halloween weekend so there are other festivities to be had...
probably my favorite weekend of the year (every year)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the recommendations. I had been thinking about the Boulder races, but I am signed up to do Iceman Cometh that weekend. I guess can always sell my entry. Some of the Bay area races also look sweet, as well as the Gloucester stop out east. I am sure the northwest races will be awesome, but the thought of racing in the super slop that we don’t get in the Midwest, is a bit of a turn off. I know, cross should be dirty, but that kind of potential mudfest scares me a bit. So many options!! I am definitely heading down to Cincy for the UCI race. That is an easy drive from Chicago, and I have friends and family there, so it is also cheap. Only six month until cross season!!!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top