Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last week I got an e-mail from Performace advertising 99 cent shipping. Although I have sworn off Performance for slow service being the tight wad I am I couldn't resist the offer. I needed a new set of tires for my mountain bike and found what I wanted for a really good price. I checked out, put in the coupon code and completed the order, this was on 5/25. The next day I received the tracking info showing the order as being shipped with scheduled delivery of 6/2. With the holiday this week I didn't think that was too bad, although I only live 4 hours from Chapel Hill. Yesterday I received an update that the shipping date has changed to 6/6. In the meantime the package has gone from Chapel Hill to somewhere in WV then to Charlotte. I live in VA and the package has been through this state twice and I'm still waiting. So if it's not rescheduled again it will have taken 7 business days to travel a grand total of 4 hours! Not bad at all!

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Did they advertise $.99 Overnight shipping? Or did they advertise $.99 ground shipping?
The difference can be quite astounding really. Your package has to go to a central hub, then a local distribution point, then to you. Sorry, but that's the way of the very large shipping companies. It doesn't work very well for the occasional short trip, but it's quite efficient when you include all the shipments they make to all the recipients wherever those recipients might be.

EM

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
ground shipping is what it is. It's UPS, probably, and they just put it on a truck that happens to be headed your way at some point.

Actually, I believe that UPS INTENTIONALLY slows down "regular" ground shipping to promote their expedited products, sort of a "Well, we can have it there in 7 days, or for another $5 you can go 3-day..."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Argentius said:
ground shipping is what it is. It's UPS, probably, and they just put it on a truck that happens to be headed your way at some point.

Actually, I believe that UPS INTENTIONALLY slows down "regular" ground shipping to promote their expedited products, sort of a "Well, we can have it there in 7 days, or for another $5 you can go 3-day..."
NO, NO, NO. You could not be more wrong.
UPS Ground shipping is a guaranteed service. Local areas only take one day, and up to 5 to cross from Maine to California. But the delivery time is fixed and guaranteed just like overnight service. For instance, if I order UPS ground from Nashbar in eastern Ohio, once it is shipped it will only take 1 day to Massachusetts. They do not intentionally slow down the service. They actually increased service slightly when they went to guaranteed ground.

Now, as for Performance, I have learned to never choose the regular shipping option and to pick a faster 2 or 3 day service. I actually can't figure out what their regualar service is, because its far slower than even normal post office times. I'm guessing its some parcel post, 3rd class type of postal service. Why they can't just offer 1st class mail or UPS Ground as the standard shipping I'll never know, because then it would only be max 5 days to the farthest parts of the country. In the case of the guy in Virginia, it would have been 2 days via post office, andf UPS ground would have been guaranteed one day.
Performace was great in the 80's and 90's. And then all that money made Gary Snook forget his roots, and they concentrated more on the huge volume and the bottom line. While thats important for any business, the service level crapped out and the clothes too.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow didn't mean to upset the Performance fans. It was actually sent Parcel Post which is the reason for the long shipment. It would be nice though if they listed this as their regular shipping method then I would have either not ordered or upgraded the shipping, but like I said I was just taking advantage of a cheap offer. Also, Performance use to try and calculate sales tax for the items ordered and the shipping charge. On more than one occasion they have had to refund me that amount. It's still a shame when I can order something from Europe using the regular shipping method and have it quicker than from Performance.

·
Banned
45 Posts
on the move

bike_guy said:
Well last week I got an e-mail from Performace advertising 99 cent shipping. Although I have sworn off Performance for slow service being the tight wad I am I couldn't resist the offer. I needed a new set of tires for my mountain bike and found what I wanted for a really good price. I checked out, put in the coupon code and completed the order, this was on 5/25. The next day I received the tracking info showing the order as being shipped with scheduled delivery of 6/2. With the holiday this week I didn't think that was too bad, although I only live 4 hours from Chapel Hill. Yesterday I received an update that the shipping date has changed to 6/6. In the meantime the package has gone from Chapel Hill to somewhere in WV then to Charlotte. I live in VA and the package has been through this state twice and I'm still waiting. So if it's not rescheduled again it will have taken 7 business days to travel a grand total of 4 hours! Not bad at all!
Once upon a time, I patronized the Performance store in Santa Monica; no real complaints. The store is now a bakery. So, I started travelling to Torrance to spend money at their store, there. The last time I went there (I was in a car, thank someone), it was a vacant lot...soon to be a Walgreen's. Bad news! Good news; they had purchased Circle Cycles at Prairie and Redondo Beach Blvd. This cuts my distance to that store in half.
I find Performance better than Wheel World, Palms Cycles, Helen's and Bikecology.
I could use an opinion on a good LBS west of Sepulveda between Torrance and Malibu.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also live in VA and have endured long waits with US Postal and Performance-up to two weeks to go approx.160 miles.They now call the reg. shipping "SmartPost"-they should call it "SnailPost"I asked a retired USPS manager why they take so long and he said packages often sit for days at hub warehouses in DC or Martinsburg WVA before they move to the next hub and sit for more days.Just last week USPS left a wheel from Performance on my porch severely damaged with a two foot long gash in the box leaving me with a big hassle to return the wheel.I have Team Perf.shipping but you pay about double USPS shipping rate for oversized items when you get FEDEX shipping-Team Perf. gets you no shipping discount on wheels.Something is seriously wrong with USPS when I could walk from Chapel Hill to Richmond in less time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've had few problems with Performance. I joined Team Performance 2 years ago and I've found the 2-day shipping to be a real plus. I live in CA,so i don't like waiting a week, or more, for things I might need. Also, I always seem to find $200+ worth of stuff in a year's time, so the annual membership always pays for itself. The constantly have sales, and I hate paying full retail for stuff... so much cycling gear is overpriced. They also have a good return policy. Yesterday I returned a Barbieri pump to the local store - 45 minutes away - after 18 months of use. The cap had broken and they just gave me a new one, no questions asked.

Oh yeah, last weekend I had a problem placing a web order too. I just called the next business day and the cs agent gave me everything at the weekend sale price with the .99 shipping.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did the 99 cent thing a while back. Took about 2 weeks to get here despite the next day shipment. The box was *****ed up, also.

I'm a team P person, so I shoulda took the $5 and put it toward my upgraded 2nd day shipping.

I'm increasingly using eBay for my purchases. Sellers usually offer priorty mail, which is super cheap and fast.

·
Banned
476 Posts
ebay

GarbanzoBeanSnafu said:
I did the 99 cent thing a while back. Took about 2 weeks to get here despite the next day shipment. The box was *****ed up, also.

I'm a team P person, so I shoulda took the $5 and put it toward my upgraded 2nd day shipping.

I'm increasingly using eBay for my purchases. Sellers usually offer priorty mail, which is super cheap and fast.

most items on ebay are cheaper AND normally I get priority mail for free
And for new Tires - nothing beats ebay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.