Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset and Dura Ace 2002 groupset. I bought the bike back in 2002 and hasn't serviced it since then. I have probably done 6000km since I'm a recreational rider. I'm not a serious rider.

I read that sealed components do not need servicing. So, does that mean I don't need to service the hubs, rear derailleur pulleys and bottom brackets since they are sealed?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Nope, sorry, they will still need serviced or replaced. For most sealed bearing units, you can simply replace the cartridge bearings. With a bottom bracket, I would just replace the entire unit. With the chain off the chainrings, slowly turn the crank. Does it feel rough and gritty or silky smooth? If it's still smooth, and there is no play, you are fine. Same with the wheels. But if the wheels are rough, I would recomend having the bearings replaced. You can sometimes removed the rubber bearing seal with the tip of an exacto knife, and put some fresh grease in, but if grit has gotten in there, replace them.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Mavic Service Manual

Go to Mavic Tech manual on internet. http://www.tech-mavic.com/technical_manual/data/

Login: mavic-com
password: dealer

that will let you in..

These wheels will need service

I let my LBS do mine. I don't have all the tools nor the patience. I had the free hub body and pawls replaced after about 1500 miles. I was not happy. I broke a spoke on my rear wheel last month. I have 5K on the wheelset.

Better to have them serviced then to wait until something breaks. It can get pricey.

If I had to do it over again I would have bought the Elite wheels with SS spokes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.