Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1656996&posted=1#post1656996) got me to thinking: If the TdF went back to racing national teams, who would have the best team?

I don't have time to put together a bunch of teams, but here's a shot at Team USA (assuming no suspensions). Pretty weak.
Hincapie
Vande Velde
Leipheimer
Pate
Frischkorn
McCartney
Bahati (Rock Racing)?
Julich?
Baldwin?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...not a bad roster. Add this to their football team, and you've got quite a sporting country.
ESPANA
Sastre
Valverde
Freire
Pereiro
Zubeldia
Flecha
De La Fuente
Astarloza

blackhat said:
spain would win. spain would always win. the uhhh..environment..is more supportive there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know who wouldn't win...the home team

They haven't even got a podium in over 10 years (the Dickster in 1997 would be the last)

·
Registered
429 Posts
If I recall correctly they stopped having national teams because they forced riders who hated each others guts to ride together and pretty often the team would effectively split up into two clans. The same thing would happen now, except even worse with the great increase in salary.

-ilan

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
My first reaction is to say Spain.

Valverde
Sastre
Periero
Friere
Flecha
Samuel Sanchez
Luis Leon Sanchez
Joaquim Rodríguez
Flecha

That's a pretty good set of climbing domestiques and guys that can roll on the flats. Their great weakness is still a GC guy. None of those guys are a dominate TTer.

You could add Ivan Gutierrez, but that still doesn't help your GCer.

For reserves, you have Cobo, De la Fuente, Arroyo, etc. Spanish National team is stacked.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
The Italian team is stacked too. Not sure who you put on the front as GC hopeful for the Tour though. It's pretty clear Ricco is a fantastic climber and has a good kick on tough sprints, but still lacking the TT ability.

might be the best shot, just off the top of my head. He can TT well, and he utterly amazed me during the Grio with how well he hung tough. He could be Cadel Evans like.

Seems to me that Italy might suffer from too many egos. Cunego, Bettini, Di Luca, Ricco, Nibali, Pozzato. Just to name a few. Plus which Italian can TT well enough to contend at the Tour?

How about Marzio Brusegin? He has won the National Champ for TT, and he absolutely amazed at the Giro with how well he hung tough in the mountains. It was very Cadel Evan-esqe actually. Maybe with the right team (CSC?) he could be that guy.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Italy would own it. Ivan Basso and just about any other 8 guys that they wanted. Basso will drop whole teams going uphill.

Everyone else will be looking for 2nd 7+ minutes back, just like they were the last time he rode the Giro.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Einstruzende said:
My first reaction is to say Spain.

Valverde
Sastre
Periero
Friere
Flecha
Samuel Sanchez
Luis Leon Sanchez
Joaquim Rodríguez
Flecha

That's a pretty good set of climbing domestiques and guys that can roll on the flats. Their great weakness is still a GC guy. None of those guys are a dominate TTer.

You could add Ivan Gutierrez, but that still doesn't help your GCer.

For reserves, you have Cobo, De la Fuente, Arroyo, etc. Spanish National team is stacked.
Contador is your GC guy. Spain would destroy any national team simply because AC is the best Grand Tour rider in the world. Period. Valverde, Sastre, and Periero as domestiques would be unbelievable.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.