Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this whole post is going to sound stupid, so flame away if you must. However, here's the convoluted question: When I started riding 20 years ago, I was told, "You don't wear underwear under the Lycra." OK, so I haven't, and I've been fine (and comfortable) with that. However, sometimes my 'man part' has been a bit too obvious, usually on invitationals. Although I am as average as they come, I have shocked a couple of children (and certainly not my intent. I'm no pedophile; in fact, I hate children) and one or two women as well.

Also, when the winner crosses the finish line in this or that Tour and we get a closeup on television, I've noticed that the rider's privates are discreetly hidden (no, I'm not gay either, (not that there's anything wrong with that)). So, what's the secret to being discreet when 'more sensitive' viewers are likely to be in the vicinity? I just don't want to offend anyone; I'm too fat and elderly as it is.

· Good news everyone!
5,461 Posts
I think it just depends on the shorts and how they fit you, and how thick/thin the material is. I've seen that pic online of some race team and you can seriously see every one of their dongs plain as day... more revealing than any underwear you could probably find. Just find some that fit well and are comfortable but not revealing.

· Registered
339 Posts
tindrum said:
do the compression shorts make you any warmer/too warm?
Actually I've found that wearing compression shorts (Under Armour are my favorites) are a better than wearing nothing underneath. Because the compression shorts are so tight, they fit like a second skin, so instead of your skin rubbing on the chamois, the shorts do. That means no friction on your skin, meaning more comfort, and no saddle sores. And no, they don't really make you any warmer.

As far as the modesty thing, there's really not much you can do about it. Black shorts are your best bet for keeping it discrete.

· Registered
165 Posts
I just don't want to offend anyone; I'm too fat and elderly as it is.
wear something baggy over the lyrca and you'll never worry again. like mountain bike shorts.

i really don't understand the benefits of lycra to the average, weekend warrior cyclist. particularly those that are old, overweight, slow, or all three. i can't imagine its something everyone wants to be seen in, in public (as the OP describes, its problematic).

i can assure you nobody else wants to see you in lycra.

sure, the benefits of no drag might add 0.0214mph to your speed average. but it's all relative anyway. are you out there to break the world 40k TT record?

get some padded underwear and wear something that won't cause you to be self conscious, and the rest of the world to look away in horror.

furthermore....going with that option won't be less comfortable on your butt. i've spent a number of 12+ hour days (hot, cold, rainy, snowy...you name it) on the bike and its never been a problem for me.

i'm positive michael phelps doesn't wear a speedo every time he gets into water. lebron james doesn't put on his full cavs getup every time he touches a basketball. football players don't wear their tight ass pants to practice.

why must every cyclist don lycra every time they go for a ride?

/vent

· Registered
27,619 Posts
Long t-shirt, hawkster!

Heck, just wear extra large t-shirts! :thumbsup:

I run errands and go shopping in lycra shorts and long shirts that cover the crotch. Also don't take off the helmet. Only once in awhile will some usually older lady glance down at my crotch. All others, including kids, focus on the helmet. I'm also carrying a backpack, so it's quite obvious why I'm in lycra.

On those "invitational" rides, or when just doing a workout type ride, I'll put on my form fitting Primal Wear Voodoo Lounge jersey and let it all hang out, just like Brother Mick (We're the same age). So what? Once on the bike, nobody notices. I hardly ever stop for drinks or food, but once in awhile flaunting my junk for the girls in the 7-Eleven makes 'em smile. :biggrin5:

(If you're embarrassed, wear mountain bike shorts. :frown2:)

· Registered
27,619 Posts
Where can I get those?

maximum7 said:
Do these shorts you wear have piano keys going down the side of the leg?
Well, today, wore the cheap bibs with blue and red panels on the outsides. They went well with the deep tuck, slotted at the sides, LL Bean green cotton t-shirt. Black gloves of course, brown suede shoes. Vintage Campy equipped, black bike with matching fenders. Ya gotta show em how it's done. :thumbsup::

· vexatious enigma
4,893 Posts
|3iker said:
2 things....
1. you sure have lots of disclaimers
2. if you have it flaunt it like that red blooded bull you are! :D You should see them male ballets! :eek:

I thought that it was rather funny how many disclaimers and qualifiers were in there :)

Self confidence and a set of properly fitting black shorts go a long way.

· Baltic Scum
1,828 Posts
waldo425 said:
I thought that it was rather funny how many disclaimers and qualifiers were in there :)
The funniest thing about hawkster's first post is that he has been lurking for a full eight years and, presumably after riding all that time, just now is starting to worry about his equipment. Oh my.

· Registered
550 Posts
seeborough said:
The funniest thing about hawkster's first post is that he has been lurking for a full eight years and, presumably after riding all that time, just now is starting to worry about his equipment. Oh my.
I was gonna say; interesting first post. :rolleyes:

Anyway. I just pop a couple of ****** before heading out. If people are gonna look, might as well give 'em something to look at. :yikes:

9,925 Posts
nomit said:
wear something baggy over the lyrca and you'll never worry again. like mountain bike shorts.

i really don't understand the benefits of lycra to the average, weekend warrior cyclist. particularly those that are old, overweight, slow, or all three. i can't imagine its something everyone wants to be seen in, in public (as the OP describes, its problematic).

i can assure you nobody else wants to see you in lycra.

sure, the benefits of no drag might add 0.0214mph to your speed average. but it's all relative anyway. are you out there to break the world 40k TT record?

get some padded underwear and wear something that won't cause you to be self conscious, and the rest of the world to look away in horror.

furthermore....going with that option won't be less comfortable on your butt. i've spent a number of 12+ hour days (hot, cold, rainy, snowy...you name it) on the bike and its never been a problem for me.

i'm positive michael phelps doesn't wear a speedo every time he gets into water. lebron james doesn't put on his full cavs getup every time he touches a basketball. football players don't wear their tight ass pants to practice.

why must every cyclist don lycra every time they go for a ride?

/vent
Ridiculous statements bolded....

Lycra isn't for fashion; it's for being cooler (temperature-wise), less fatigue, greater comfort, and more maneuverability. The reason serious road cyclists don't wear baggies is because they hook on the saddle (as our saddles are generally higher than on an MTB) causing all kinds of mishaps.

As for your obvious fat-hate, keep it to yourself, eh?

· Roll Model
402 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
You could try sitting on a bike.....that tends to hide things.
There ya go! :thumbsup:

· Poseur
1,409 Posts
Use better quality shorts or bibs. I had some cheapo shorts years ago that were sort of like that, thin material and a thin chamois. I don't have any problems with the ones I use now. If someone is upset because I wear bike shorts, that's their problem, not mine.

· Le Misérable
4,377 Posts
hawkster said:
[...]I'm no pedophile; in fact, I hate children) [...]
I think this is the best part of the thread! The syllogism potential of that statement is almost infinite...

Someone ranting against cycling clothes on a cycling forum takes second prize.

The practical answer, OP, is to wear different shorts, ones that leave your junk in a position that you are comfortable with. There are many brands, styles and cuts to choose from. I recommend staying away from the Italian brands, which tend to put your manhood on display: that's how they roll over there.

I've been out of the US for a long time, but are folks really so stuffy about the human anatomy that they can be 'shocked' by someone in cycling clothing? Who are these people, and what do they wear to the beach?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.