Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a software problem that wouldn't allow me to move pics from my camera to my computer. That's been solved & now I'm trying to post pics of my new bike. This is the one which with I replaced the bike that was demolished when I was hit by a car in Jan.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,922 Posts
Pix, where?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,922 Posts
JoelS said:
It is? Where? Pics aren't in the post....
My Fail Senses are tingling.

·
9,790 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Finally - pics of my new bike. I had lots of software problems, but finally solved them. This is the bikewith which I replaced the bike that was demolished when I was hit by a car in Jan.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Scot's guide to posting pics open, and I've tried at least 5 times to post the pics. NO GO! I'm giving up now. You'll just have to take my word for it that I got a new bike and imagine what it looks like. I'm done - finished - over- quit.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,922 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I have Scot's guide to posting pics open, and I've tried at least 5 times to post the pics. NO GO! I'm giving up now. You'll just have to take my word for it that I got a new bike and imagine what it looks like. I'm done - finished - over- quit.
One option: They need a .jpg extension, be under 585KB, and less than 1100X1100 IIRC.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marc said:
One option: They need a .jpg extension, be under 585KB, and less than 1100X1100 IIRC.
Done all of that - nuttin'.

·
Making memories
285 Posts
What A Coincidence

I too have a "Plastique" bike. Originally a naked carbon version of the Cinelli Willin SL. Decals from bikenames.com Components are old campy 9speed stuff with some more current Ksyrium SLs and the new FSA compact crank.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,037 Posts
Mr. V suffers from these hallucinations....he's been talking about this new plasti-bike for days now but NO ONE has seen it!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,922 Posts
vandalbob said:
I too have a "Plastique" bike. Originally a naked carbon version of the Cinelli Willin SL. Decals from bikenames.com Components are old campy 9speed stuff with some more current Ksyrium SLs and the new FSA compact crank.
This posting is filled with Win.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,037 Posts
my plasti-bike is old 9 speed campy and new campy khamsin wheels

and a brooks saddle lest it bee too light

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks TOG. About the bike: I like it a lot. A real lot. It's very smooth, handles well, climbs well, descends well & generally doesn't do anything bad. It's very stable yet responds well even to very slight inputs. The 105 is a little "clunky" compared to Dura Ace, and the shifts require a longer throw, but it actually works very well. I had the wheels laced by my LBS, who does a super job BTW. The hubs are 105 32 hole with Velocity Deep Vee rims. I'm quite hard on wheels and the bike came with a 20 spoke front & 24 rear. At my age I'd rather err on the side of dependability and durability rather than light weight. I don't like red, white & black bikes, so I spec'd the white rims. I think they improve the overall look of the bike.

I've been changing off riding the Giant with riding my '94 DeRosa. Which one do I like better? It's really hard to say. They both ride & handle very similarly. The Giant is lighter and so accelerates and climbs better. Aside from that it's a coin toss. The DeRosa is steel and I find that the CF bike doesn't really dampen the road vibration or ride more smoothly in any meaningful way.

The Defy is a very nice bike though. If I decide I like it better than my DeRosa I'll swap the Dura Ace & put it on the Giant and put the 105 on the DeRosa. The problem is both bikes are so damned nice that after a couple of weeks I still can't make up my mind which I like better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Touch0Gray said:
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh more Shimano???????? turncoat
OK - here comes another review.

I've got Shimano on both bikes now. The DeRosa is all Dura Ace, & this one, obviously 105. I rode nothing but Campy from the 60's until a little more than a year ago. I needed a new gruppo for the DeRosa, which was an 8spd. I was having trouble finding parts for the Chorus 8spd. I wanted to replace it with Chorus 10 spd,but when I looked at the prices there was just no way, so I decided on the Dura Ace 7800 which was about half the price of the Chorus.

My personal evaluation...The Dura Ace is a fine gruppo. It's smooth as silk, fast shifting, light & looks good. When I'm riding in the drops it's nearly impossible for me to shift to a lower cog without taking my hand completely off the bar with the Shimano brifters. The Shimano hoods aren't as comfy, the levers are "picky" in that if they're not installed just right they come too close to the bar when clamping on the brakes. I don't like the fact that the brake lever is unusable while shifting to a larger cog. The levers are also noted for breaking the head off cables, and then there's always those nasty cables running all over the place.

Campy is also very light, looks great, lasts for a very, very long time. Campy stuff shifts like a truck and clunks while doing it, but all the shifts are very fast & positive. My Chorus stuff never complained too much if I shifted under power when climbing. The Dura Ace does NOT like that. Campy's hoods are more comfy, there are no nasty cables cluttering up the front of the bike, and the lever's ergonomics are, to me, much more intuitive. I've been riding the Shimano stuff for over a year and I still occasionally shift the wrong way.

Both gruppos are great, but given a choice (equal $$) I'd take the Campy every time.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,037 Posts
so.......you like the plastic huh?....I warned you.....I tried to hate my plastic bike but I can't.

That said, me and my sweet Italian vixen just got back from a 45 miler...I love her....the tramp..............

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.