Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LBS here doesn't have a very broad selection of shoes. I'm looking online, actually Competitive Cyclist from this site. Looking at some Sidis and others.

But I'm concerned about fit. I ordered some Nikes at the LBS and when they arrived they didn't fit. Looking at shoes in my closet, all sorts of shoes . . . They run all over in size from about a 10 to a 12. I have a wide foot.

Competitive Cyclist lists shoe sizes/conversions for various brands, and they too go all over the place. I have a semi-wide foot, like a D width in an 12 but more like an E width in an 11.

Nike lasts are generally too narrow in any of their shoes I've tried (cross training, walking, general purpose sport).

Sooooooooo . . . How do we go about finding a shoe that fits online ???

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hardy Cyclamens said:
You don't -- if you can't find enough sizes at the LBS, find an online retailer with a good return policy.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ari said:
You don't -- if you can't find enough sizes at the LBS, find an online retailer with a good return policy.

Cheers,
Ari

Yeah, I think probably just set aside some time to shop when I'm in "The Big City" . . .

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Shimano 151's and some Sidi models come in wide sizes. Nashbar carries both. Their return policy is very liberal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hardy Cyclamens said:
LBS here doesn't have a very broad selection of shoes. I'm looking online, actually Competitive Cyclist from this site. Looking at some Sidis and others.

But I'm concerned about fit. I ordered some Nikes at the LBS and when they arrived they didn't fit. Looking at shoes in my closet, all sorts of shoes . . . They run all over in size from about a 10 to a 12. I have a wide foot.

Competitive Cyclist lists shoe sizes/conversions for various brands, and they too go all over the place. I have a semi-wide foot, like a D width in an 12 but more like an E width in an 11.

Nike lasts are generally too narrow in any of their shoes I've tried (cross training, walking, general purpose sport).

Buying shoes this way is kind of a pain but I see two options:

You could have your LBS keep ordering shoes till you find one or you could order online if you're prepared to ship the shoes back if they don't fit. The good part is once you find a make/model that works buying the next pair is much simpler.

You might try Carnac M5's. Competitive Cyclist has them on sale right now. The forefoot and toe box is larger than most shoes but the heal fits snug like a regular shoe. Sidi Mega's were too wide for me but the Carnac's fit perfect for my Size E feet.

Competitive Cyclist' size chart was accurate for me as far as length. The hard part is getting the width right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts