Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out JRA today. Decided to head up north into Hickeys part of the world. He comes to my part so much I thought it only fair.

I aimlessly meandered on bike routes and paths and I came across this:

Really odd. Not near anything and the only way to get to it is to ride there. While it's cool, since I've never seen bike lockers before. Thought the placement was a bit odd. I can't understand the purpose of putting them in the middle of nowhere(ish) and not really near any sort of public transportation or office building. Just a neighborhood and a small waterpark.

Anyone?

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leopold Porkstacker said:
What is “JRA”? Jewish Republican Army came to mind, but I’m sure it’s incorrect?
JRA= Just Riding Around.

You really have issues with this whole Republican thing don't you? ::hold that::

I don't need to know. I don't want my first post that gets shuttled off to PO to be this one.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Chris H said:
JRA= Just Riding Around.

You really have issues with this whole Republican thing don't you? ::hold that::

I don't need to know. I don't want my first post that gets shuttled off to PO to be this one.

I think it's actually "just riding along" as in I'd like to warranty my frame that snapped at the HT/DT weld while I was just riding along, but your version works well enough. that bike locker thing's a conundrum.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blackhat said:
I think it's actually "just riding along" as in I'd like to warranty my frame that snapped at the HT/DT weld while I was just riding along, but your version works well enough. that bike locker thing's a conundrum.
I think you're right. I knew it was something along those lines.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave Hickey said:
You were 10 minutes from my house...

BTW, those lockers are about 5 years ahead of schedule..That area will become "downtown" North Richland Hills...
So I probably passed your house at some point. Went a few miles past that just sort of exploring the area. Trails up there are almost a maze to the Urban interloper like me. Probably helps keep us inner city people out of the suburbs.

That's gonna be Downtown? So basically the Southlake Town Center will eventually stretch all the way to 820? Man, people up there do love their shopping don't they?

p.s. I love your MUT's up there. Nice, wide, protected from the wind, and incredibly empty. Those people don't know what they've got do they?

Well, except for all those Stop signs along the path.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
You turn just before the storage area and headed north. You go up past the lake and eventually, the trail dead ends into the Cotton Belt trail( it follows the tracks). Go west on the Cottonbelt trail across Davis Blvd.. I live about a mile north of there...

You were 2.5 miles from my house..

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wondered if that would hit the Cottonbelt eventually. I was gonna keep going up that way past the lake, but I ran out of time and had to head back.

Tomorrow I might take that route to the Cottonbelt and head up to the Apple store. Take some pictures of a suburban shopping experience. lol.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave Hickey said:
The Apple Store in Southlake?
Yep.

We High Falutin City Folk don't have an Apple store yet, so I have to be jealous of yours.

Although rumor has it that one will be opening at the shopping center off University right by the Panera. Only miles from my house.

My wife should be worried...

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
iPhone wants to be my friend(and I want to be it's friend too...)

I'm trying to hold out for the second generation to show up first though. Rumor has it to be coming out after the WWDC June 6.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
government work

Having worked in city government now two years, particulary in real estate development, here is my guess. Someone applied for and received a grant to build this thing, but the terms of the grant said it had to be used in 12 months or they would lose the grant. Never mind that it's premature and does not make sense until the rest of the development is present. Then, they approved the main development, but someone filed suit to hold it up based upon some technicality in an environmental assessment document, where they failed to adequately determine the number of rare crickets on the property that would be affected by the development.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Doug, I believe you are spot on...... The trails were part of road funding project.. use it or lose it...They also put up all kinds of bike route signs all over the city... As much as I'd like to think it was because they cared about cyclists, it too was tied into some other highway funds project..

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Doug, I believe you are spot on...... The trails were part of road funding project.. use it or lose it...They also put up all kinds of bike route signs all over the city... As much as I'd like to think it was because they cared about cyclists, it too was tied into some other highway funds project..
Well that explains the mystery of Holiday Lane to me.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Watch it buster...I live 50 feet from bike route 37 ..aka Holiday Lane...and the only time I suggest you ride it is between 0615 and 0618 in the morning. It's not safe any other time..

The south-north route is Vance from highway 10 to 820 . than go east on the service road to Holiday lane. Cross under 820 and make a right on Maplewood. Go east on Maplewood to Susan Lee.. go north on Susan Lee...It will take you to the bike trail you were on( north electric trail). Go east on that trail to Davis Blvd. North on Davis(huge shoulder on this part) to the Cottonbelt Trail...

Cottonbelt is located 1/2 mile north of Mid-Cities Blvd.. East will take you to Grapevine( with one road detour- call me or PM for directions). West will take you to Haltom City..

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/north+richland+hills+tx/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.