Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry. Not how I roll. I'm not going to make a guy struggle, get embarrassed and frustrated while he prolongs a delay, to keep from getting my hands dirty. My point (again) was to suggest to those who seek/welcome help on bike repair/maintenance/tube swaps to do what they can to make that task easier on their helpers - such as keeping the bike clean.

Pretty simple concept. Not too controversial.
I'm not sure how anyone would consider a person willing to step up "FOR A PERSON THAT DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO CHANGE A TUBE" as a Sheldon Brown reincarnated who wants to jump in and provide unsolicited assistance.

I've helped plenty of clueless mechanical dorks while performing roadside repairs. Many unknown people I've seen stuck on the side of the road. Flats, broken spokes, severly out of true wheels, rear derailleurs and none have ever complained that I helped them get home. ;)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sorry. Not how I roll. I'm not going to make a guy struggle, get embarrassed and frustrated while he prolongs a delay, to keep from getting my hands dirty. My point (again) was to suggest to those who seek/welcome help on bike repair/maintenance/tube swaps to do what they can to make that task easier on their helpers - such as keeping the bike clean.

Pretty simple concept. Not too controversial.
In a group of 15 (your example), I am sure there are some other dudes that will step in to help.

As a side note, in my experience what I have encountered in group rides is that as soon as there is a flat/mechanical, one or more alpha riders decide to unilaterally take control over the mechanical even if the downed rider is fully capable of making their own repairs. These alpha males just can't keep their hands off the situation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
As a side note, in my experience what I have encountered in group rides is that as soon as there is a flat/mechanical, one or more alpha riders decide to unilaterally take control over the mechanical even if the downed rider is fully capable of making their own repairs. These alpha males just can't keep their hands off the situation.
Exactly my point against Alan's post . The OP mentions riders that aren't prepared to make the repair and not referring to rides that are fully capable.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I always have a pair of disposable nitrile gloves in my saddle bag for such problems.

Keeping a rim free of oil is next to impossible unless you like to clean your rim every couple of rides.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
I always have a pair of disposable nitrile gloves in my saddle bag for such problems.

Keeping a rim free of oil is next to impossible unless you like to clean your rim every couple of rides.
it is? news to me...i lube chains. not derailleurs, frames, or wheels. seems like a waste of lube to me if it gets all over the place.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Exactly my point against Alan's post . The OP mentions riders that aren't prepared to make the repair and not referring to rides that are fully capable.
I was actually alluding to the point that perhaps many of the far too many cyclists that are not prepared for mechanicals are in fact fully capable of making the repairs but are prevented from doing so by alpha males.

In any case...good point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is exactly why I like to ride alone. Nobody has to wait for me and I don't have to wait for nobody. After all its a ride not a race.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
it is? news to me...i lube chains. not derailleurs, frames, or wheels. seems like a waste of lube to me if it gets all over the place.
Well it's not going to get all over the place, but after a week of riding there's bound to be splatters of oil on the rim. I'm not into cleaning my bike all the time.

Of course I don't take the time to be an "artist" when it comes to lube application. I just spin the chain put the oil on and head out the door. And lube is cheap, you don't have to buy the little "special" containers of bike lube, there's plenty of synthetic lubes on the market at your local auto parts store for $5 for a 10 year supply.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
You should lube more than just the chain. I lube the deraileur pivots & springs, shifter internals, cable adjusters, brake pivots & springs, pedals internals, and drip some lube into the cable housings. Essentially all moving parts except for sealed bearings like hubs and BB's.

But the important thing is to wipe off the excess. Even with the chain, you should wipe off the chain so that it is essentiall dry and clean to the touch. The only place that lubricant is needed is on the internal surfaces. Any lube on external surfaces only attracts dirt.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well it's not going to get all over the place, but after a week of riding there's bound to be splatters of oil on the rim. I'm not into cleaning my bike all the time.

Of course I don't take the time to be an "artist" when it comes to lube application. I just spin the chain put the oil on and head out the door. And lube is cheap, you don't have to buy the little "special" containers of bike lube, there's plenty of synthetic lubes on the market at your local auto parts store for $5 for a 10 year supply.
I don't want to sound like a tool, but you're really lubing your bike wrong. After cleaning the chain, dry it, lube it, let it "soak" for a bit, then wipe the chain really well. Lube any other pivot, etc. and wipe the excess really well.

When you're done, any lube that you can touch is not doing any good. That includes the chain. I go hundreds of miles without washing the bike and there's no "splatter" of lube anywhere.

Yeah... did sound a bit like a tool huh? (-:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I don't want to sound like a tool, but you're really lubing your bike wrong. After cleaning the chain, dry it, lube it, let it "soak" for a bit, then wipe the chain really well. Lube any other pivot, etc. and wipe the excess really well.

When you're done, any lube that you can touch is not doing any good. That includes the chain. I go hundreds of miles without washing the bike and there's no "splatter" of lube anywhere.

Yeah... did sound a bit like a tool huh? (-:
Everyone knows the proper way to lube the chain. However like I said I prefer to put the lube on an head out the door. Sure you get a little gunk on the chain over time and I clean that and I also have about 10 new dura ace chains sitting in my tool box, so chain replacement isn't a problem.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Beyond the latex gloves, if you have white bar tape or anything white on your bike, "Mr Clean, Magic Eraser" or the generic from like Target does wonders in taking off grime without leaving any residue.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I say 5 Min. is a damn fast time for changing a tire/tube. From the time your bike stops rolling until the time it starts rolling is my criteria for a completed tire change. Stop the bike, remove the wheel (it always seem to be the rear wheel), lay the bike down, dig through your bag for tools, spare tube, CO2, & maybe a rag. Lever off the tire, pull the tube out, inspect the tire carefully, slightly inflate the new tube, put it in the tire, let the air out, pull the tire on the rim, partially inflate it and check that the bead is properly seated. Finish inflating the tire, reinstall the wheel on the bike checking that nothing rubs. Then pack up your tools making sure you haven't left anything, wipe your hands off, then mount up & ride. That's a LOT to do in 5 min.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I take a little longer than 5 minutes only because I have OCD with regards to checking for any sharp objects that might be inside the tire before I put a new tube on.

I'd say ride some gatorskins or try out the new 1/2 weight tuffy tire liners so you don't have to worry about flats.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
You should lube more than just the chain. I lube the deraileur pivots & springs, shifter internals, cable adjusters, brake pivots & springs, pedals internals, and drip some lube into the cable housings. Essentially all moving parts except for sealed bearings like hubs and BB's.

But the important thing is to wipe off the excess. Even with the chain, you should wipe off the chain so that it is essentiall dry and clean to the touch. The only place that lubricant is needed is on the internal surfaces. Any lube on external surfaces only attracts dirt.
yes...i know you're supposed to lube more than just the chain. in reference to the OP's post, i was talking about excess lube getting all over the place, not the specific lubricating of derailleur pivots and all the other things you mentioned. trust me, this is not my first rodeo...i know what needs lubricating and what doesn't.
on another note...you don't think 'sealed' bearings need lubricating?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts