Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I can not believe that you guys are arguing about keeping your bike clean! To the OP, I am with you on this one, To the guy that has 10 DA chains in his toolbox, You get a Brownie Badge! Must be nice to have $400.00 bucks tied up in chains in your tool box. That's a weeks groceries in my house! I ride Campagnolo and a KMC11SL is $70.00 bucks a pop, real Campy is $100.00. I don't buy it unless I need it. I wash and wipe the bike down after every ride, I clean and lube my chain and other parts every 2 weeks. Just the crap from my bottles on my frame and components is enough to make me clean my bike after every ride. Cleaning and lubing a chain is just good maintenance and prolongs the life of you Chainrings and Cassette. Let alone if I have to change a flat on the road I don't want to get that dirty anyway! I also keep nitrile gloves in my saddle bag, never know when some guy who doesn't clean his bike is going to need help changing a flat!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Having gloves in your saddle bag or whatever bag solves most of the issues here. If you're using a wet lube on your chain, chances are some of that will get on your rim!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
changing a tire is like everything else, the more you do it the easier it becomes. 5 minutes is taking it easy.
If the wheel is off the bike and your tools & spare tube are out of the bag & ready to use, changing the tube within 5 minutes would be very easy. If you're timing a flat tire tube change from the instant your bike's wheels stop turning until they start rolling again, I say 5 min is pretty fast. Not impossible by any means, but pretty fast.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts