Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a first-time cyclocross. I am looking to keep the price of the bike under $1,100 (less, if possible). Expect to use it 70% on roads, and 30% on fire trails. I've narrowed down my search to a 2006 remainder Kona Jake the Snake, and a 2007 Ibex X-Ray Race. For those unfamiliar, the Ibex X-Ray is a mail-order only bike, and the new 2007 is just coming out, so there are no reviews of the bike. They are offering a $100 discount if you buy by July 15 (www.ibexbikes.com). The comparison breaks down as follows:

Price: The Kona will run about $125 more than the Ibex ($899, plus shipping).

Components: Approximately comparable between the two bikes, EXCEPT: Ibex offers 105 10-speed components, while the Kona comes with older 9-speed groupo. The Kona may have better wheels: Mavic Open Sport with Shimano hubs, versus Ibex' Formula hubs with Sun ME14A rims (I'm unfamiliar with these, but google search reveals fairly positive reviews.)

Frame: Kona has the name and reputation. However, bike shop doesn't have any in stock, so would have to order, and I won't be able to test ride either bike before buying. Both frames, I believe, are made in Taiwan, but clearly Kona would seem to have the edge here.

Fork: Kona's fork is bomb-proof, but apparently heavy and unforgiving. Ibex has an EVO carbon fiber fork.

That's the dilemma. Would love to hear anyone's comments, opinions, and suggestions.

· Registered
10 Posts
I just brought the JTS and I think I ride mine the same way you intend too.

I have found the Jts to be very nice. It is heavy I have a 60cm and it's around 24 pounds. It rides really nice though and suck's up a lot of the inconsistent pavement around my area. I have ridden bikes where I thought my teeth would chatter out, but not on the JTS. Very smooth ride. I think it's worth it for the extra money. My local lbs is a kona dealer so it took about 2 weeks to get the bike, and they put it all together for me. I ended up paying just over a $1000. I am please with the JTS.

bd:thumbsup:

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I posted Q's about the JTS, regarding as a pair of racing bikes. Seems that kona has all the market, elite world riders, riders that wish thet could be that good (me) and first time 'cross purchases. Heres the thread link and BTW the '07 may have carbon rear stays, have yet to confirm this, should have an answer today....
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=63394

oh forgot to mention 9 is fine and parts cost less. I run campy nine on all three of my bikes.

· Registered
128 Posts
Go for the JtS

Mine's awesome. I'd looked into getting an X-ray for my girlfriend, but was ultimately dissuaded because the rear hub spacing is 135mm, which would make it impossible to swap in another road wheelset if desired.

Good luck

· Registered
2,771 Posts
I was between the JTS and the Axis and went with the later. (got a deal that ended up 1200 + upgraded with truvative roluer outboard bearding carbon crank) so price was really close and i liked the ride better on the Axis.

Not that the JTS wasn't a great ride either. Picked up the Axis yesterday and just after a few min. getting used to it i was geting some good speed on tight corners with it. :thumbsup:
much better then my oversized crosscheck.

one thing to consider... it will be a lot cheeper to find upgrade parts to jump up to Dura Ace on the 9 speed vs 10. And 10 speed chains suck and CX beats up chains.

If you can't get a JTS in to test ride are they willing to cut you a deal? Worth the questions. You are taking a far greater risk as a customer buying blind.

· Registered
355 Posts
kannas said:
I posted Q's about the JTS, regarding as a pair of racing bikes. Seems that kona has all the market, elite world riders, riders that wish thet could be that good (me) and first time 'cross purchases. Heres the thread link and BTW the '07 may have carbon rear stays, have yet to confirm this, should have an answer today....
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=63394

oh forgot to mention 9 is fine and parts cost less. I run campy nine on all three of my bikes.

Looks like carbon forks for 2007.....

Go JtS! The cyclocross team I was on had a gaggle of them!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Forgot to mention that can't really wait for the new-and-improved (and significantly more carbon fiberized) JTS -- when they come out, the prices should be firm, and out of my reach. I'd rather have a more modest bike now, and can always upgrade if my enthusiasm and useage justify it.

· Registered
22 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat...can't really find an LBS that stocks any Cross bikes (in my size anyway)...so I'd have to order the bike without having tested it. I've been thinking, why not get the Ibex if I'm going to have to order sight unseen anyway! I know the Kona is a sweet bike, but I'm going to go against the trend here and say get the Ibex. As long as you are comfortable doing your own assembly and maintenance, I see nothing wrong with the bike...I'd love to hear what qualifies the bike as being "cheap and nasty" as one poster above said. It looks like an ideal first Cross bike to me...heck, I intend to ride the crap out of mine, so why spend so much?

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
If you trust the quality of the frame/fork, and I am not saying you shouldn't, the IBEX seems to be the much better deal w/ 10 Speed 105 and a CF fork. I'm not impressed by the Kona's wheel spec either -- I doubt it is significantly better.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Specifically regarding the 10-speed vs 9-speed Shimano 105 group comparison, are most cyclocross bikes heading toward 10-speed, or are there concerns regarding the chain width and durability? I still see many CX bikes speced with 9 speed.

References to any articles or threads would be appreciated.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
GaryAppapeMex said:
How to insert an image?

When you reply to a thread and want to upload a picture, click 'Quote' then scroll down to 'upload photos' A new window will open. It will say 'Upload file from your computer.' Click the 'Browse' button. Choose the file and then 'Upload' When it is done close the window and click 'Submit Reply'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.