Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently signed up for a free one-year membership that was advertised in this thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=162548

Today I received my welcome packet from them, and I just wanted to encourage everyone to read Adventure Cycling's Privacy Policy, which states:

Adventure Cycling exchanges or rents member names for one time use with selected companies. If you prefer that we do not include your name in any list exchange or rental, please contact member services.

Leaving aside my opinions of automatic opt-ins like the above, I would advise people to understand this policy and act accordingly. I simply sent an email to their membership address with my member number and contact info and requested to not be included in any list exchange or rental.

Scott

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Just an FYI, I've been a member of Adventure Cycling for 4 years...

If they are selling/trading my email address to other companies I'm not getting flooded with spam...much to do about nothing IMO....but there is certainly nothing wrong sending them an email asking them not to share...

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I never sign up for anything using my real name and I have a second free e-mail account (that I rarely check) to use for things like free subscriptions.

Send me all the spam you want, I'll never know.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Like Dave, I've been a member for a number of years and I've not opted out.

I would attribute very little snail or e-mail to my ACA membership. I suspect they have this arrangement so that the not for profit ACA can share member information with the for profit (I think) cyclist yellow pages, their catalog company. I don't mind the "junk", it's nothing compared to Nashbar and Performance. I mostly getted annoyed at the "re-new" your membership letters that seem to come every month, even when you have months remaining on your membership. I guess that's their way of encouraging me to "lifetime" member myself.

Scot

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
The only "junk" mail I have received due to being a member were just a few flyers for centuries and week long state sponsored rides. No biggie.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
If it were not for spam mail I would get none at all. I live for spam. Send me more. It's good to know so many care.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I mark stuff as spam when it gets overwhelming (eg, Performance, Nashbar) and my email filter puts that mail in another folder. I check the Spam folder from time to time, just to make sure I'm not missing anything important. Thanks for the heads up, tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.