Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
she keep you buyin rats
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a video on Bicycling.com titled "The Lim Files: Working with Elite Teams" In this video Radioshack's Allen Lim is sitting with a Dr. Stacy Sims... she mentions tweaking blood volume. Is this legal?

I'd guess if you wanted to reduce blood volume, that shouldn't be a problem. But if you wanted to increase blood volume... I can't imagine that being legal.

video.bicycling.com/video/The-Lim-Files-Working-with-Elite-Teams

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah I would think it depends on how you do it. We are tweaking blood volume every time we drink fluid to replace what is lost through sweat during exercise. There are probably some methods that become "grey areas" and present challenges.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Well, adding blood to the body is illegal and is what Vino was popped for...it's called "Blood Packing" and was the blood doping method of choice before EPO, but is still used today to avoid detection during long stage races...such as the Tour, Giro and Vuelta.

This has been used for decades. Basically you take blood out of your body early in the season and store it for big races. Then put the blood back in the night before a big stage so you have extra oxygen carrying capacity and thus better performance.

There is no test for this so pretty much everybody gets away with it...unless you pull a Vino and the person putting the blood back in puts the wrong person’s blood in which is detectible :mad2:

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Or using illegal techniques, like IVs.
I thought IV's were legal now?
For replenishing fluids, etc...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
There is no test for this so pretty much everybody gets away with it...unless you pull a Vino and the person putting the blood back in puts the wrong person’s blood in which is detectible :mad2:

And then your teammate uses the wrong bag of blood 3-4 weeks later and gets caught too.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Doncha just hate it when they get all those blood bags mixed up!!
I mean really- how hard is it to use an El Marko?

·
Large blurry non-mythical
1,236 Posts
Well..

we all know...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts