Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and his setup were transferred to a modern race bike, what would it look like? I'm watching old videos and his back is very flat even with the saddle not too much higher than the handlebars and a very aggressive position in the drops.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
He'd probably have the setup his handlers told him to use.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Pablo said:
He'd probably have the setup his handlers told him to use.
I don't know about that... He was a notorious tinkerer and absolutely fanatical about fit. Legend has it he would adjust bikes mid-race.

Then again, Eddy in his prime, on his antique super-record equipped de rosa could probably rip the legs off most current pros on their carbon 11 speed whatever.

In answer to the original question, figure deep drop bars and a saddle about 2- 2.5 inches higher than the stem.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
buck-50 said:
I don't know about that... He was a notorious tinkerer and absolutely fanatical about fit. Legend has it he would adjust bikes mid-race.
Yeah, thought about that after I posted. He came off as a nut in "A Sunday in Hell."

My point, I guess, was that he would most likely have a modern set up because he would have been raised in a more modern era--he wouldn't probably have had a 70s era fit.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Look at photos of Eddy and the modern guys, they aren't all that different in position.

Here, check Cancellara on a TT bike vs Eddy on his Track bike:

· Banned
519 Posts
Who cares what Merckx fit on the bike would be? To even entertain such a discussion is sacrilege. Merckx rode in a time where the sport was about effort, courage, determination. Today, it's all about weight, science, and a bunch of tech BS.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
barbedwire said:
Who cares what Merckx fit on the bike would be? To even entertain such a discussion is sacrilege. Merckx rode in a time where the sport was about effort, courage, determination. Today, it's all about weight, science, and a bunch of tech BS.
I disagree. It may _appear_ to be about that stuff, especially if you read the wrong magazines or hang out in the wrong internet neighborhoods... but the core nature of racing is still aobut effort, courage, determination.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I disagree. It may _appear_ to be about that stuff, especially if you read the wrong magazines or hang out in the wrong internet neighborhoods... but the core nature of racing is still aobut effort, courage, determination.
Now you're just being silly. Last race I went to, I put in my measurements, types of bike, and otehr relevant information, and was awarded third place by the computer. :p

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
barbedwire said:
Don't forget the steroids and Erythropoietin.

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Banned
519 Posts
Scooper said:

Dang! I forgot to include Amgen and the other pharmaceutical companies that play a BIG role in the sport. :)

Take the drugs away from today's athletes, and there is no meaning of the words effort, courage, and determination. That is, until you go back in time to Merckx. Take away these drugs from the riders of the modern era, and Merckx would cannabalize all of them.

· Registered
10 Posts
Merckx's "tinkering" with his position was mainly to do with the appalling back injuries he suffered in a 1969 derny race crash that also killed his pacer Ferdinand Wambst. After that he was never without pain on his bike, so the tinkering was to try to alleviate his discomfort and find a comfortable position.

One can only speculate at what he might have achieved in the sport without that crash - especially when you think it was at the end of the season of his FIRST Tour win!

· Registered
1,793 Posts
barbedwire said:
To your point of "effort, courage, determination"

It's different because all the top riders only train for one race a year, the Tour de France. Nobody is trying to win Tour of Italy, Tour de France, and World Championships anymore.

Heck there was a time that riders in the Tour de France would try to win more than on jersey. For example in 69 Merckx won the Overall classification, Mountains Classification, & Points Classification. Lance could have won mulitple jerseys, but didn't.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Scooper said:
Yep, there's nothing like good old amphetamines, pot Belge and veterinary medication. :rolleyes:

· Banned
519 Posts
CurbDestroyer said:
To your point of "effort, courage, determination"

It's different because all the top riders only train for one race a year, the Tour de France. Nobody is trying to win Tour of Italy, Tour de France, and World Championships anymore.

Heck there was a time that riders in the Tour de France would try to win more than on jersey. For example in 69 Merckx won the Overall classification, Mountains Classification, & Points Classification. Lance could have won mulitple jerseys, but didn't.
Merckx won multiple jerseys. Armstrong's team were all built on getting the yellow jersey. He wasn't interested in the other jerseys. He would've lost time going after other jerseys and end up losing the yellow anyway. Difference is that Merckx was the better rider and would've dominated a drug-free Armstrong.

· Registered
1,793 Posts
barbedwire said:
Merckx won multiple jerseys. Armstrong's team were all built on getting the yellow jersey. He wasn't interested in the other jerseys. He would've lost time going after other jerseys and end up losing the yellow anyway. Difference is that Merckx was the better rider and would've dominated a drug-free Armstrong.
I don't think Lance could have won the Green Jersey, but I think the Polka Dot was within his reach a couple times by his own hand, or he could have sent some of his team up the road to take points from the competition.

So why didn't he do it? many reasons and I think the one reason that holds the most weight is that there is too much to lose and bring us to the reason times have changed . . . . it's the money.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.