Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you used to have your stem up, but flipped it to get lower, did you need to change the length?
I've been spending more and more time in the drops (compared to what I used to), so I figured I'd start dropping it down. I was thinking of just moving it down a spacer or two, but wanted to see if a large drop would feel comfortable on the hoods.
Turns out, I like it a lot! However, I find I was riding on the bends more, as the hoods now seem too stretched out. The drops still feel comfortable though, oddly enough.
I know it's changed the reach, but curious to see if others have needed to change the stem.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
congratulations !

Yes, flipping the stem down increases the saddle-handlebars distance. but probably you don't have to change the stem lenght but adapt and correct your positioning first.

Once you set the stem on the adequate position, you discover how better handles a road racing bike that was obviously designed to be riden in that position.

I find it is also important to correct the way you are sitting ( lower back perpendicular to the saddle, upper back bent and curved ), work on that flexibility too. it improves a lot the positioning.

And you get off course a considerable aerodynamic advantage.

here is a graph to help you with that.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
BTW, me too, I am on the bends when I am "cruising", go to the hoods when I am "motoring" and go to the drops when I am putting the "hammer down"

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
waldo425 said:
Personally, I have never had much of an issue. Sounds to me like you may want to try out a slightly shorter stem if you are having comfort issues.
This. Flipping the stem over will increase the reach slightly. It also puts demands on flexibility, which can make it harder to get to the same place, even if the reach is the same.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I flipped mine last month. It was exactly what I was looking for. I also bought new bars, so it was a bit of an adjustment but ended up perfect. I don't ride the drops much, only in heavy winds.

·
Ride bicycles? Why?
522 Posts
I flip mine back and forth depending on the weather conditions and the ride route. I get about 5mm difference in reach with my 100mm stem. However, I also drop 10mm of spacers when flipped positive.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
BTW, me too, I am on the bends when I am "cruising", go to the hoods when I am "motoring" and go to the drops when I am putting the "hammer down"
Yup..

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I flipped it, I also angled the bars down a tiny bit. By doing that, the angle of the ergo style bars put my hands within a more comfortable reach of the levers when in the drops. However, that made the hoods less comfortable and feel stretched out. Last night, I made the bars more level, and the hoods feel just right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts