Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ignitor on my gas grill has stopped sparking. The button depresses and I get the same strong 'click', but no spark.

It's under warranty, but is there a simple maintenance procedure I could do to get it firing again? I sho don't want to remove the whole mechanism and send it back for examination or replacement.

edit - Folks in the office have advised me to hit the electrode with some fine sandpaper - edit

Thanks folks.

Alex

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
those things are simple to fix. About as easy as a light bulb. You can get the ignitor or the switch for relatively cheap at the hardware store... seriously. A couple of questions. If the gas is working then you might try it with the top closed first, to build up gas...but if that still doesnt work, then I would say it is the actual ignitor tip. A lot of times if you cook a lot, grease and sauces can land right on top of the ignitor. So, pull it out, clean it off with water, let it dry and then give it a whirl again. Id give it 50/50 you can salvage it.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Weber?

Living in Evanston I assume you have the "local grille" ... Weber ..... It might be cheaper to buy a replacement ignitor from Mennards or the Evanston Home Depot than pay shipping charges to Weber for your under warranty ignitor. $8.98 at Home Depot:

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Nug. Would you hit the electrode with a little sandpaper, as my office dorks suggest? Or are you talking towel and Formula 409?

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vermont Castings.

I'm amazed a Weber anything is less than $10. The Weber chimney starter was like $25.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think this is Snapdragen's fault. She killed my clothes dryer last year.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
bonkmiester said:
Living in Evanston I assume you have the "local grille" ... Weber ..... It might be cheaper to buy a replacement ignitor from Mennards or the Evanston Home Depot than pay shipping charges to Weber for your under warranty ignitor. $8.98 at Home Depot:
Another solution is
1) Strike match
2) Stick in hole on side of grill

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I've been doing, but from the top. I decided it needed fixing when I lost all the hair on my knuckles.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
just remove it and take a look at it, either it will have gross crap on it, or it will have a whitish film on it. honestly, the sandpaper will be a perfectly effective method.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I see now that your first post specified water. I'm a bad reader.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
That's what I've been doing, but from the top. I decided it needed fixing when I lost all the hair on my knuckles.
I bought the floor models when I puchased my last two grills, so they were already assembled. They both came with the ignitor disconnected tuck up under the grill. I'm guessing that's a safety measure they take on the floor model. I've never bothered to hook the ignitors up and used the match method for the last decade or so.

:)
Scot

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
If you're unsure about it working or not, head over to PaulCL's house and hold it under his Mother-in-law's Caddy while triggering it. Then we'll solve both problems!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts