Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
do you already have a regular ride bike?

if so, set it up as a beater, commuter, etc. i wouldn't spend too much money on it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Cannondale seem to have taken their archive down which would be a shame. My CAAD 5 is here, with the Time fork, which is from around 2002. Yours is probably a year later. Still a very solid ride. I put 25mm tires on to improve the ride on the poor surfaces we have around TO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skyliner1004 said:

if so, set it up as a beater, commuter, etc. i wouldn't spend too much money on it.
I have a Ridley Damo/Sram Force - this is going to be a bad weather bike.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
skyliner1004 said:

Why not? The CAAD 5 was, and still is, a great frame. As long as it's in good shape, there's no reason not to deck it out in quality parts. Personally, I find the differences in the CAAD frames quite minor once you get to the CAAD5. All the ones past the 5's have just incremental improvements. Cdale has pretty much perfected aluminum frames, they are simply running out of things to do for improvement!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
picked the frame up tonight - just some cable rub/paint chips here and there - nothing major. plan to use it on bad weather days and over the winter. most likely build it ups w/ sram rival and misc parts.

thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
:D There's another nice CAAD 5 on a well known auction site right now :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
That frame is from 2004.

This is still one of the nicest frames around. Better than CAAD9 in many respects. Trick the bike out as it rightfully deserves especially given its good condition. But it is totally the wrong frame for a beater or commuter.

Cyclust is correct, each of the CAAD series brings something different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.