·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
estone2 said:
trying so hard not to reply that if you're commuting at 55mph in the city you've got a problem...
-estone2
Great minds think alike, and I did reply. Let's see if it gets posted. I was polite.:p

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're right !

Motorist in this case is ignorant - how often are they going to do their 55 mph before it occurs to them that they are only speeding to the next traffic jam? then they can take their time and observe the cyclists sweep past them.....................

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
comsense said:
Motorist in this case is ignorant - how often are they going to do their 55 mph before it occurs to them that they are only speeding to the next traffic jam? then they can take their time and observe the cyclists sweep past them.....................
12 Foot Wide Lane. 44CM O-O Handlebars. 365 CM lane roughly. Give the cyclist 2 feet to the right, two feet to the left. 4*12*2.54. 122. 166CM taken up by cyclist. 199 For Car. 199/2.54/12=6.5 Feet For Car. Assume an 8 Foot Wide Car. They have to pull out 1.5 feet. Not an issue. Doesn't slow down the car, unless they make a concious effort to buzz you, in which case they probably have to slow down a bit so as to get a better shot at you. Unless they're trying to hit you... :eek:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Its always that one ......

I can always tell who is the freakin nutcase. The guy who comes close to sideswiping you cause he is such a stud. His music is loud he can't hear a thing and he runs one light just to wait at the next. I think people need better driving tests. Or perhaps a minimum IQ rating.

G

·
867-5309 said:
I can always tell who is the freakin nutcase. The guy who comes close to sideswiping you cause he is such a stud. His music is loud he can't hear a thing and he runs one light just to wait at the next. I think people need better driving tests. Or perhaps a minimum IQ rating.

+1

Very well said

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
867-5309 said:
Yeah they're the safer ones though...
Wednesday someone actively took 3 shots at me. (last wed)
Blue pickup, no music.
Only thing i picked up on was a feeling running down my back, i swerved way right, and got hit in the elbow by the mirror as he yelled "git yer ass off the road!"
I can handle the ones you know are coming. but when they're coming up behind you silently...
-estone2

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey, I can beat that. Two of my friends were riding single file at 6:30 am on a Saturday morning on a four lane road. No traffic. Until, that is, one of our county cops buzzed within two inches of their bars. After realizing what the heck happened, they waved their arms and the cop stopped down the road. The officers reason for doing so is because the law stated that he can be within two feet of the fog line (white line) at any time, cyclist present or not. Of course, the officer was completely incorrect, but that is not surprising considering the number of different interpretations I've heard from our finest, of which none are in the published rules of the road.

We're starting to put together a rules of the road that is laminated. That way, when they yell "Do you know the law? Cause I know the law and it states (make up your own law) yada, yada, yada...."

I'm done now.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Powershot said:
Hey, I can beat that. Two of my friends were riding single file at 6:30 am on a Saturday morning on a four lane road. No traffic. Until, that is, one of our county cops buzzed within two inches of their bars. After realizing what the heck happened, they waved their arms and the cop stopped down the road. The officers reason for doing so is because the law stated that he can be within two feet of the fog line (white line) at any time, cyclist present or not. Of course, the officer was completely incorrect, but that is not surprising considering the number of different interpretations I've heard from our finest, of which none are in the published rules of the road.

We're starting to put together a rules of the road that is laminated. That way, when they yell "Do you know the law? Cause I know the law and it states (make up your own law) yada, yada, yada...."

I'm done now.
SHITE!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think one of the problems is that people are truly ignorant when it comes to the bike laws.

I'm riding on my usual 20-mile circuit yesterday when I get to a 2-lane (each way) section that is not busy at all. I am in the right lane as far to the right as possible w/o being in the gravel at the side of the lane. A jackass and his ugly girlfriend pull from the left lane to the right lane in front of me and pull up to a traffic light in their pick-up truck......there is no one else in the left lane mind you....he pulls to the right on purpose. I slow down to anticipate the light change....it does and this guy doesn't move, he starts gabbing to a guy who pulls up next to him in the left lane...I pass on the right and continue up the road.....this guy comes screeching up, pulls around me, back in front of me and slams on the brakes telling me that I shouldn't be riding my bike on the road!!! He pulls away and I continue. I see him getting out of his truck a mile or so up the road going into a biker bar. He and his girlfriend are yelling at me as I pass telling me again that I shouldn't be riding on the road. I am polite telling him that "Sir, I in fact do have every right to be on the road and that he should re-read the drivers manual". His ugly girlfriend is still *****ing at me as ride away. God I was mad!!! I couldn't say what I really wanted to for fear of being followed and harrassed....I called this Lame A** Sir!!!!!!!! This is the first really bad instance that I have encountered and hope that it's the last....kinda scared to travel back through that area for fear of being harrassed again....a damn shame.

regards

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Riding last Tuesday on my way out of town I cut through on road that is a calm 2 lane road that cyclists love. I guess they like it because it seems as if your in the country even though your still in Austin. Anyway, a Brown pick-up truck (a small truck, not gigantic "this truck is my Peni$ size) slows but it is going the opposite direction. I prepare to be asked for directions, or to get something thrown at me. Instead a big fat melon head with a bowl cut pops out and screams "F-Ing Azzhole" and then takes off again. I was puzzled and then just started laughing because it was so damn wierd/funny.

After a few seconds I wondered why the rage-o-holic was so mad and worried he'd turn around. I picked up two fist size rocks for each jersey pocket and continued on. A little bit down the road it became all very clear when I see another cyclist going the same direction as Mr. Rage and he is taking up more than his fair share of the lane.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
My home bound commute has a section of city street that is about one mile and is slightly downhill with a tailwind most days. The speed limit is 25 mph and I can easily maintain that. There is a traffic light every block and I am constantly suprised by cars that will squeeze by me between lights. How much gas are they wasting with acceleration to pass me at 30+ mph between lights. I usually roll to the front at the lights if someone does this. If we all play together, I usually maintain my position in traffic. Jeebus, it is only a mile of my 13 mile commute. The rest of the commute is on a MUT or four lane with a wide shoulder. The four lane is a parking lot in the afternoon and I just blow by on the right. I am glad that Hawaii is a mostly laid back state.

G

·
Fortunately, most drivers are considerate - or at least too numbed by other problems in life to bother us poor hapless cyclists.

For the cruel, sadistic or ignorant minority I keep telling myself that a tire iron is too heavy and would look stupid mounted to my bike. That or prison is worse than a near heart attack*.

*From some nutjob cutting me off on purpose to pull into his driveway while I'm decending at 50+kmh - at least I now know my brakes are pretty good :rolleyes: Oh, and of course, he didn't use directionals either, would have spoiled some of the fun I suppose :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was on a ride with my friend's dad yesterday and we were near the end. We were taking a pretty easy pace (15 mph or so) and a car goes by at maybe 30. The kid in the passenger seat sticks his head out the window and yells, "I'm faster" along with a few other choice words. I was half tempted to drop it into the big chainring and show them just how fast a bike can get, but I thought better of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
bigbill said:
There is a traffic light every block and I am constantly suprised by cars that will squeeze by me between lights. How much gas are they wasting with acceleration to pass me at 30+ mph between lights.
I see the same thing every day -- part of my commute goes through a beach / park area with a limit of 30 kph. It's a slight downhill and I can easily do 40 - 45 kph and keep pace with the cars in front of me. The road is fairly twisty, so you can't get a clear look far ahead.

It amazes me how many cars will cross a yellow line to pass me around a corner, pull into the space I'm leaving between me and the car ahead, then patiently sit and drive at the same speed anyway -- its like to them a bike has a big flashing sign saying "by definition I'm too slow, I have to be passed".

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I had a good experience.

Last week I was riding my rigid MTB home from work. It was hot and sunny and I had my shirt off. I was stopped at a light behind a black 4-Runner and in heavy traffic. I admit I was looking at my reflection on the 4-Runner's tailgate admiring how cut I've become since I started road riding last fall.

The light changed and traffic started moving. I was able to keep up and draft off of the 4-Runner for a couple intersections. I noticed it was being driven by a very attractive blonde woman. She turned onto the same road that I had to take. I had about 3/4 of a mile to go on a 25 mph road. Usually people go 30 mph but the woman in the 4-Runner went just fast enough to stay ahead of me so that I could draft off of her until I got to my driveway.

When it was time for me to turn I waved to her and she gave me a nice pretty smile. I may start riding home that way all the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.