Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I wouldn't own that piece of junk for a day, let alone 25 years.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
A bike like this one will probably never see more than a few hundred miles in its lifetime. It's the type of bike someone will buy to ride around the block with their kids.

So it's highly unlikely any will be used enough to have problems. The 25-year warranty is a great hard-sell for this segment of the market and worth the risk in the unlikely event someone uses one enough for something to break.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Meh, mine comes with a lifetime warranty (not including crashing or rust)........(why else would a bike break?)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Cool. Looks well designed for its intended users -- not enthusiasts like us, but casual tooling around town types. I'm curious how well the automatic shifting works, but it certainly keeps things simple for folks who are intimidated by shifting systems (there are many of them). I've been buying furniture and household goods from IKEA for 30 years, and things are generally well made, so I'd tend to trust the quality. I know people for whom I'd recommend this.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It weighs 44lbs. Who the frick wants a 44lb bike?
I'm pretty sure if Colnago built 44lb bikes, they'd be glad to offer a 25yr warranty too.
Where'd you see 44 pounds? is that the shipping weight? The specs say the bike weighs 35 pounds, not unreasonable for city-bike design.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
People would have still found something to argue with you about but you would have been better to compare to Trek or one of the many others apples to apples compares to Colnago that have a much lengthier warranty.
Lol yes indeed. All I'm doing is pointing out that these manufacturers are willing to stand behind their product for longer than Colnago. How much does it cost Colnago to make a new C60? Maybe $300?

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
So......for $400, you get a 35lb single-speed bike with a 25 year warranty? I am betting that not many are being sold.....

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
So......for $400, you get a 35lb single-speed bike with a 25 year warranty? I am betting that not many are being sold.....
two gears, not one.

$400 for a new bike is inexpensive. some people need a simple bike like this. and some people want a new bike, because they can't use simple tools, don't trust themselves, don't have time, or don't know anything about bikes.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Shall we discuss the disk brake it has?

Anyway, I'd use that to commute no problem. Probably perfect to a lock to a street post in all weather commuter. But I don't think I'd pay $400

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
...and for all of those that are sold, how many people would even think about taking advantage of the warranty if or when it did break.

Hey dear, where did I I put that receipt from the ikea bike i bought 6 years ago?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
SLADDA Bicycle - 28 " - IKEA

Colnago has a 3 year warranty. A little sad eh?

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Not really, apples to oranges
What can really go wrong with the IKEA bike, it's like giving a warranty on a rock.
Colnago on the otherhand is built for something entirely different.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
Oh you're right.
Still, doesn't change my point, if Colnago was making 35lb bikes, they'd gladly offer 25yr warranties.
If Colnago made 35lb bikes, they would be out of business.

It's worth noting that some well known road bike brands have lifetime frame warranties - Cannondale, Trek.

It's also worth noting that a warranty is only as good as the company behind it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts