Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may or may not know (BentChainring :skep: ) that I'm headed off to grad school in Sept. I need some furniture for my "cat house". I want to keep the cost down cause whatever $$ I have left over, I can spend on getting a compact grouppo for my Colnago.

So what sayeth the Lounge?

IKEA? I know their bed sizes aren't standard and I won't be able to use the sheets on my bed at home.

CostPlus?

Will the furniture from these places hold together for a couple of years? Comfortable is a huge requirement.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I think Ikea has moved to standard US sizes for pretty much everything. No more funky european lightbulbs that are only available at ikea.

I know Ikea queen sheets fit on a standard queen mattress.

Ikea stuff lasts forever provided you treat it well. They use a lot of veneer over particle board, and their solid wood stuff tends to be made of extremely soft wood.

Cost plus uses more solid wood, and whatever weird deforesting-the-amazon wood they're using, it's incredibly hard. Also heavy. extremely durable.

Ikea's assembly directions are awesome.

Cost Plus's assembly directions are comically bad.

Even cheaper to find stuff on craigslist, though.

·
Super Moderator
19,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hollywood said:
Cost Plus.

Cooler, and you won't be calling us to come assemble 300 pieces into a side table.

Bonus: you can buy good beer while you're there too.
1) Where's the good beer?

2) Isn't assembly required for Cost Plus? I should see if they deliver.

3) Cost Plus costs more, no?

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
Hollywood said:
Cost Plus.

Cooler, and you won't be calling us to come assemble 300 pieces into a side table.

Bonus: you can buy good beer while you're there too.
And nag champa

·
Proud luddite
7,207 Posts
I would go with Ikea over Cost Plus. I like their stuff, looks good, priced right and lasts a long time if you're not rough on it. Plus, you can get their cheap (and not too bad) food when you are there.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I bought some stuff for my kids at Ikea and I'll never buy furniture from there again. The stuff is just particle board crap that falls apart. Plus, I hate assembling it. The directions suck, the holes don't line up. Ikea sucks!

No idea about Cost Plus. If they sell beer, they can't be all bad.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have a bunch of cost plus stuff,

it's actually real wood and pretty decent, quite a quality upgrade from IKEA stuff

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Salvation Army and Craig's list
+1

garage sales
estate sales
campus posters
inquire w/ landlords about kids who've left stuff behind

come on Sogno, if you're doing the college life you gotta do it right.

·
Super Moderator
19,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Creakyknees said:
+1

garage sales
estate sales
campus posters
inquire w/ landlords about kids who've left stuff behind

come on Sogno, if you're doing the college life you gotta do it right.
This is Santa Cruz. Who knows what kinds of cooties will come with the used furniture! :eek:

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
One thing I know about Ikea though, stay away from the dirt cheapest sofa's and beds etc. That stuff isn't comfy and it doesn't last. The rest of their stuff is A-OK!

·
Super Moderator
19,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
il sogno said:
This is Santa Cruz. Who knows what kinds of cooties will come with the used furniture! :eek:
nttaww Santa Cruz itself. It's a beautiful place. It's the used college student/surfer dude furniture market that I'm afeared of.

·
Super Moderator
19,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hollywood said:
hit some valley garage sales this weekend. Need a stylist to accompany you? :cool:

everything except the mattress, of course.
I wanna buy the stuff up there. If I buy down here I'll have to move it.

Plus I'll be breaking terryb's Freecell record this weekend. :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts