Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago we lost Marco Pantani.

One cannot but wonder what might have been had he not been treated the way he was. Maybe LA would still riding, looking for his second or dare I say it his first Tour?

Rest In Peace Marco.

·
Registered
656 Posts
he died before i really knew who he was, but i cried when i read the article on him in PROCYCLING magazine (and i still have that issue, in a place of honor.) no person should ever have to die in such a state of misery as he did. tragic.

allez, marco.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Flying with Jose Maria Jimenez

ultimobici said:

One cannot but wonder what might have been had he not been treated the way he was. Maybe LA would still riding, looking for his second or dare I say it his first Tour?

Rest In Peace Marco.
I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why. I like to think that he and Jose Maria are chasing each other up the mountains still. His memory lives on. Il Pirata lives on...

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Pantani..

ultimobici said:

Rest In Peace Marco.
Pantani had some mental problems, no doubt. He died a broken and depressed man I think. Feeling shunned by the people who had built him up, but it didn't need to be that way I don't think. If he had reached out for help, there were definitely those there that would have helped him along the way, but I think he was a proud man as well. He had a checkered career, never testing positive for doping, but still getting banned here and there for testing over limits during certain races. It's a sad story, but not any sadder than many other stories I've heard over the years.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I don't understand??? Lance gets blasted and he never tested positive for anything. Yet, a cocaine abuser is praised? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Pantani's been blasted..

Soggy Feed Bag said:
I don't understand??? Lance gets blasted and he never tested positive for anything. Yet, a cocaine abuser is praised? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Oh Marco has been blasted on here tons of times, it's just that, the man is dead now, even though he had problems and certain addictions, it's good to remember the folks that have passed, and when he did ride, he gave lots of folks enjoyment from seeing him ride.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soggy Feed Bag said:
Read his manager Manuela Ronchi's book "Man On The Run". He was a very complicated person who allowed himself to be sucked into cocaine addiction. As far as doping is concerned, he never tested positive, but more worryingly the blood tests that "convicted" him were suspect. One was from hospital records in 1995 after his Milan Turin crash. The man was undergoing treatment following surgery on a broken leg. Who knows how the body reacts under those conditions? The infamous Madonna di Camiglio test was shaky too in its method & the accuracy of the result. Maybe that's why he wasn't banned.

LA may or may not have doped. We'll never know, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But he became a one trick pony after 99, concentrating on one race and winning it 7 times. My gripe is that, with all that talent, he never tried to win any of the other major races on the calendar. No Giro, no LBL, no RVV, no Worlds, no Giro di Lombardia.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fignon's Barber said:
Ordered that book about 4 weeks ago on amazon (said 4-6 week delivery). good read?
Good.
I got it for Christmas, and had it read by New Year. Even taking what the author writes with a big pinch of salt, I got the feeling that the authorities pulled a fast one on Pantani. To use hospital records in the way they did was low and misleading. After reading it, I am convinced that he was cleaner than the press would have had you believe. I can't put him in the same category as Rumsas, Hamilton & other convicted dopers.

But read it and make your own judgement.

·
go up
648 Posts
I miss watching Pantani ride. His riding inspired me and led me to a place I can find enough pain to wash away from my mind any mess from work or my life; that place being any good climb.

So, I went on a ride yesterday to remember and to feel a bit of pain. 26 miles, 3700ft of climbing. Even did some of it in the drops and out of the saddle; I don't know how he climbed like that. I managed only five one to two minute intervals that way but maintained a good, hard pace the rest of the way up. A totally exhausting ride that left me feeling pretty well.

Thanks, Marco!

·
Banned
97 Posts
magnolialover said:
Oh Marco has been blasted on here tons of times, it's just that, the man is dead now, even though he had problems and certain addictions, it's good to remember the folks that have passed, and when he did ride, he gave lots of folks enjoyment from seeing him ride.

I wont' argue with the fact that he was one of the most exciting and talented riders ever. He was a cycling god.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Amazon.co.uk

Fignon's Barber said:
Ordered that book about 4 weeks ago on amazon (said 4-6 week delivery). good read?
Cancel your order and buy it through Amazon UK. I had my copy within a week. It's an okay read. I think a bit was lost in translation.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I still remember the sad sight of Pantani at the side of the road after Garzelli took him out on the descent of the Sampeyre in 2003. He was so clearly a broken man at that point, I never thought he would ride again and was very suprised he finished the race. All I could think about was the all or nothing thinking that was clearly dominating his mind and that it was going to be the end of him.

When he was still alive at the end of 2003 I thought he may have turned the corner, but reading Ronchi's book it was clear a large part of him didn't want that to happen and unfortunately that part won the battle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
terzo rene said:
I still remember the sad sight of Pantani at the side of the road after Garzelli took him out on the descent of the Sampeyre in 2003. He was so clearly a broken man at that point, I never thought he would ride again and was very suprised he finished the race. All I could think about was the all or nothing thinking that was clearly dominating his mind and that it was going to be the end of him.

When he was still alive at the end of 2003 I thought he may have turned the corner, but reading Ronchi's book it was clear a large part of him didn't want that to happen and unfortunately that part won the battle.
He was doing great up to that point and I remember how frail he seemed after that crash.
I know he had a checkered past, but it was exciting to see him fighting up those steep climbs. He became the Pirate...his super alter ego. It was hard to stay the legend.
It was hard to be a normal person...not the Pirate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts