Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's all relative. For instance it's a couple of hundred less than a CAAD7 frame with Hollogram cranks in Europe. What? You didn't know a Cannondale could cost more than a Colnago in here :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant believe how much C'dale cost in europe... I hear its crazy.

I know a guy who bought new Caad7 team replica frame half of that BMC frame cost. And this is including hollogram cranks and the new c'dale carbon fork.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
yepper, I want one too.

Was jawing with an LBS owner the other day and he informs me he's going to be a local rep for them. Bear in mind, living out here in the sticks we're lucky when we get to see an Orbea (the other unusual brand he carries.) He expects the first frame in some time in the next 3 weeks. Maybe I'll be happy to just wander in and put my hands on it, but then maybe not.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Actually any decent higher end bike shop is a "dealer"

Seeing BMC just got picked up by QBP, which is the wholesale supplier who most good shops have an account with. In fact, QBP is probably the most squared away company in the bike biz.

Details:

QBP Adds Tyler's Frame to Its 1,000-Page Catalog

JANUARY 16, 2004 -- BLOOMINGTON, MN (BRAIN)--Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) added BMC Bicycles to its list of product lines. BMC makes the frames that Tyler Hamilton and his Phonak team will ride this season. Last year Hamilton finished the Tour de France in fourth place despite breaking his collarbone in stage one.

Quality offers two Swiss-made BMC road framesets: the Team Machine SLT01 and Road Racer SL01. The SLT01 is identical to the bikes the Phonak team rides. It has carbon fiber tubes; the SL01 frames has aluminum tubes.

The frames will make their debut at Frostbike 2004--Quality's open house on Feb. 21-22. Framesets also will be in Quality's new 2004 catalog, which grew by 200 pages and 30 suppliers over last year's. The catalogs will hit retailer mailboxes in mid-February.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2071098

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
LBS had one in all black

ONCE in a life time said:
Maybe saving up for Richard Sachs wasnt such a bad idea.

http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/product_id/1975/pg/product_details.html

They seem to be US dealer now i guess, but man they are expensive...

(By the way im no way advertising just saw it and was shocked at the price)
This Wed, I saw one at my LBS in all black instead of that ugly yellow,white and green. It really looks cool in stealth black but for $3k, I'd get a KG486...

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Aha

Well that explains it. This guy is trying to be the only high-end road bike shop in town (just started carring Orbea, Merlin, Waterford and a couple of others) and BMC is the one he is touting currently. Now I'll just wait for the first one to appear and decide if its unusual looks are enough to get me to cough up (knowing in advance that they almost certainly are.)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
3 grand is an awefully high markup on that frame

I think a more realistic price should be in the $2750 to $2800 range.

Also, the comment about any shop being a dealer is not quite true. As of right now, any shop has the potential to be a dealer, but if a shop places enough of a preseason order they could become a protected dealer. That would prevent a shop from across town being able to buy the frames too.

QBP doesn't say too much about it right now, but they do say that "BMC frames are subject to exclusive territories in some areas" which is what that means.

BTW, BMC makes a nice frame that is aluminium with carbon seat stays, but not the carbon seat tube or chain stays. It is less than half the price and looks nice with a red and white paint scheme. Here's a pic.

Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts