Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to buy a Quattro Assi Team 2000 for around $450...everyone tells that a good deal...but I have a concern with the size. I'm 5'5" and the bike is 54cm...Can I get by with this size...I can stand in the bike and the top tube is about half to one inch clearance..and can get in the ridding position. The only thing I notice is that sometimes I feel like my hands go numb bc I feel like im putting too much pressure in the front...is that because is to big or do I need to adjust seat/handlebar height and get a shorter stem?

Can I get by with these adjustments? your feed back will be very helpful...I'm hours away from buying it or hours from stepping away from this bike and finding a smaller size...

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
It's impossible to be certain based on your height alone, but but based on what most people ride, I'd say a 54 is way too big. I'm 5'11" and ride a 56 cm. At 5'5" I'd think a 49-50 cm would be more appropriate.

A bike that's the wrong size is NOT a good deal, especially for your first bike, regardless of the price. Be patient and find one that fits correctly.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm 5'4 and ride a 48cm Orbea. I could not imagine a 54cm fitting you.

· Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like your inseam and the bike's stand over height are compatible. You may have to adjust the seat post height to fine tune your working leg length to the pedals. If your hands are going numb, that might just be vibration from the bike-that's normal on almost any aluminum framed road bike. That's why I use buzz kill dampers or aztec vibration damping pads on my bikes, and use only carbon handlebars. If you're overly stretched out, then the frame's top tube is too long for your size, but you can adjust this by changing out the stem for a shorter one with a steeper rise angle. I'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam, so I'm more comfortable with a larger frame for my height, but the top tube lengths are a bit long for me on 54 cm frames, so I compensate with shorter more steeply angled stems. Most of my bikes are 54 cm, I have one 55cm and one 50 cm frame. It all depends on the frame's geometry. The compact designs typically have top tubes roughly the same length as the seat tube. More traditional geometries have longer top tubes. The photo above seems to show a top tube noticeably longer than the seat tube. 54 cm usually refers to the frame's seat tube length, and based on that, I'd say that top tube there is about 56 to 57 cm. Unless your arms are quite long, or you can get a really short stem with about a 20 degree+ rise, I'd say get a smaller frame with a suitable top tube.
Most of my frames are compact designs with the top tubes within half a centimeter of the seat tube length. My 50 cm frame is the only one I have with a more traditional geometry, and the top tube on that is 54 cm, but even so the frame is too small for me.
Hope that helps you. Take with 2 grains of salt, just my two cents....:)

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
mpagon4 said:
So I'm about to buy a Quattro Assi Team 2000 for around $450...everyone tells that a good deal...but I have a concern with the size. I'm 5'5" and the bike is 54cm...Can I get by with this size...I can stand in the bike and the top tube is about half to one inch clearance..and can get in the ridding position. The only thing I notice is that sometimes I feel like my hands go numb bc I feel like im putting too much pressure in the front...is that because is to big or do I need to adjust seat/handlebar height and get a shorter stem?

Can I get by with these adjustments? your feed back will be very helpful...I'm hours away from buying it or hours from stepping away from this bike and finding a smaller size...
Forget standover clearance and, to some extent, framesizes. They're near meaningless, especially in this world of sloping TT's (like the bike you're looking at). IMO you should pass on this bike, have a real bike fit, and using those measurements focus on effective TT lengths to determine your reach. Once that's accomplished, you'll at least be in the ballpark of what frame geometry works for you.

· Registered
166 Posts
The key concern is: "I never ridden before." As others have said, the typical range of bike size for a person of your height is usually in the range of 49/50 - 52 seat size. You might be able to reach the controls and have standover clearance on a 54 but that is a rudimentary way to size a bicycle. Chances are that you will be looking for a smaller sized bicycle once you have gained experience (mileage) and begin the process of fine tuning your preferences with the goal of enhancing your overall satisfaction.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Echo same as everyone else, get a smaller bike.

Forget about standover height because they put the top bar in different places and at different angles. At one time the top bar use to be at the top and level, now it's in different positions and it's angled down.

I'm 5'11 1/2 and I ride a 56. A person 5'7" would be riding a 54. Look at a 52 or so.

· Registered
68 Posts
^^^^

Although it sounds too big --- All the posts here are pretty much meaningless as you may have freakishly long legs and arms or a short torso or whatever -- get fit at a local bike shop.

· Folsom City Blues...
7,430 Posts
I'm 5-7.5 with a 31.5 inseam and I ride a 52 C'dale with a 54 TT. I'm between sizes in the C'dale geometry and can go with either the 52cm or 54cm with some tweaking. It’s very important to check the geometry of the bike’s manufacture and get familiar with your measurements.

It’s all about your physical proportions and the geometry of the bike and different manufactures have different geometries. That’s way most folks would agree that a good bike fitting from your local LBS would be a good place to start…

Peace :cool:

· Registered
3,126 Posts
There are plenty of good bike deals to be had. My suggestion would be to step away from this one and go into a local bike shop for a Q&A session, fitting and test ride. Once you have gathered some basics as far as geometries go, you'll be able to shop for a bike that fits you appropriately.

A "good deal" isn't a good deal if the bike doesn't fit. Then you wind up spending more $$ to find a frame that does.

· Registered
3,230 Posts
even though bikes are sized by seattube length, the top tube length is really the more critical dimension.
the 54 likely is too big for you. you're probably too stretched out.
the numbness in your hands likely is because you are in an unbalanced position, with the saddle jammed forward. some of the effects/symptoms of an off fit are counterintuitive -- you would think that if you're too stretched out, you would have less weight on your front, but the opposite can be true. It's about balance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.