Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to buy a Quattro Assi Team 2000 for around $450...everyone tells that a good deal...but I have a concern with the size. I'm 5'5" and the bike is 54cm...Can I get by with this size...I can stand in the bike and the top tube is about half to one inch clearance..and can get in the ridding position. The only thing I notice is that sometimes I feel like my hands go numb bc I feel like im putting too much pressure in the front...is that because is to big or do I need to adjust seat/handlebar height and get a shorter stem?

Can I get by with these adjustments? your feed back will be very helpful...I'm hours away from buying it for about $450 (good deal?)or hours from stepping away from this bike and finding a smaller size...

· Registered
10,161 Posts
thoughts...

You should educate yourself on bike fitting a bit more before buying. If you've only got an inch of standover clearance, the bike is on the large side, particularly if the TT slopes.

Saddle fore/aft adjustment is critical for comfort. If the saddle is too far forward, you won't be balanced on the bike and may have too much weight on your hands. Too much weight on the hands can also be a result of handlebars that are too low, a stem that's too long or just a weak midsection. You should be able to pedal the bike with very little weight on your hands, in every thing is adjusted properly. That's why they make stems in different lengths.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit

· Registered
2 Posts
From my experience with wrong sized frames the most important is the correct frame length as the seat height can be easily adjusted with the seatpost but the frame length cannot.
I also suggest to take a bike fitting test before you buy.

· Registered
458 Posts
Well, I am 6 feet (possibly 5' 11 3/4) and I ride a 56cm or a 57cm. I have 2 Litespeeds that only came in 2cm increments of 55cm or 57cm and I always chose the 57cm because my torso is long and legs are short. I will take less standover rather than a cramped TT. A 56cm if offered would have been a good choice but only a 1/2cm shorter in TT.

I recently bought a compact geometry bike with a 56cm TT which fits PERFECT for my proportions (short legs/long torso) yet the TT is only 1/2 cm shorter than my 57cm Litespeeds. Point is, if the TT fits better than the standover, you may be alright, but it does seem big for guy your height as you seem to have longer legs. My inseam is a 32 and I am almost 7 inches taller than you.

CarbonKing said:
From my experience with wrong sized frames the most important is the correct frame length as the seat height can be easily adjusted with the seatpost but the frame length cannot.
I also suggest to take a bike fitting test before you buy.

· Registered
289 Posts
C-40 said:
You should educate yourself on bike fitting a bit more before buying. If you've only got an inch of standover clearance, the bike is on the large side, particularly if the TT slopes.

Saddle fore/aft adjustment is critical for comfort. If the saddle is too far forward, you won't be balanced on the bike and may have too much weight on your hands. Too much weight on the hands can also be a result of handlebars that are too low, a stem that's too long or just a weak midsection. You should be able to pedal the bike with very little weight on your hands, in every thing is adjusted properly. That's why they make stems in different lengths.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit
Good advice here. I'm posting a link to a custom bike made for me by Carl Strong. (see the blueprint image). I'm 6 feet tall, and while the seat tube length displays "NA" (all we cared about was the top tube), it's about 55 or 55.5cm.

My initial reaction was that the 54 sounds much too small for you, but perhaps you have really long legs. Hard to know...

http://strong.weswu.com/part-6-blueprint/

· century rider
116 Posts
I'm 5'7" 3/4 inches and I use a 54 c-t-c wilier steel frame, while TT lenght is spot on I only have about an inch clearance when straddling the bike. I recently got a Sintesi EOM16.5 steel frame, 54cm top tube but slopes slightly resulting in a 52cm seat tube. This bike is now my favorite.
Honestly, get a smaller one, 52-53cm ought to be great for you.

· Number10
490 Posts
I'm 5'5'' and ride frames between 48-50. A 54cm just seems too big.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.