Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, a good friend called me a jerk. Here's the scenario:

It was after a string quartet concert at a local university music school, the audience was maybe 50% students. Everybody was getting up and slowly heading to the exits.

A young Asian woman (maybe a foreign student?) was looking up toward the top seats, sees somebody, and yells "MARCO!". She does it again, and I respond with "POLO!". The woman once again yells "MARCO!", and I retort again with "POLO!". Several people laugh. She looks around, confused, but turns back again, and once more, yells "MARCO!". This time, 4 or 5 other people respond with "POLO!"

My friend smacks me, and tells me that I was being a jerk.

Was I really? I mean, yeah, I DO usually tell baristas, when they ask for a name, that my name is "Zbignieuw Wiszniowicz", or when ordering Chinese, I give the name "Alex Mullaly", but is that enough to be a "jerk"? How big a jerk are you???

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I was jerking chicken the other day. Does that mean I was being a jerk?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
There's a woman who works here who's not a nice person, quite full of herself. But she says funny things. So I text my husband and SIL some of her more memorable quotes.

She talks loud enough for me to hear, so as far as I'm concerned, it's fair.

She doesn't know it, though, so I don't think it's so bad. Your antics are kinda crossing the line though (well okay the Marco one isn't so bad; the Chinese food one is mean IMO.)

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
if the OP would have just done the MP bit, he'd get a pass.

but, looks like he has a propensity to seek out situations to be an ass...

that's solidly in jerk territory.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I agree!

But I don't get the Chinese food joke. Please enlighten me.
It's ok. I read those vanity car tags over and over and still can't decipher them.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I must be a big jerk also, I find all of those pretty funny.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
I agree!

As another guy with a good ol' Polish last name, they're incredibly difficult to relay over the phone, especially to those who aren't native English speakers; for instance, those that take orders over the phone at Chinese restaurants. Even the Americanized versions of certain Central European surnames are complicated to spell, so it makes perfect sense to go by Bill Smith or Jerry Mumford or something.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I wouldn't mind being a jerk. Alas, I was not born a poor black child. That Marco Polo bit is hilarious though, don't see why that would make you a jerk.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
if the OP would have just done the MP bit, he'd get a pass.

but, looks like he has a propensity to seek out situations to be an ass...

that's solidly in jerk territory.
I like him already

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Your friend was simply bumming that they didn't think of it before you did. The smack was actually more about their disappointment in that than anything else.

..when ordering Chinese, I give the name "Alex Mullaly"...
Made me think of this cause I must be a jerk too.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Nobody died, a few folks got a laugh.

I'm in the not a jerk camp for this one.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I agree!

I don't get ot either, and the jerk is strong in me. I often cross the line into dhead territory.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Your friend was simply bumming that they didn't think of it before you did. The smack was actually more about their disappointment in that than anything else.

Made me think of this cause I must be a jerk too.
My girlfriend was born in Hong Kong, but at six months old her family moved to Toronto, so she grew up having a distinctly Canadian accent and way of speaking. However, on two occasions I caught her saying "sirry" and "ridicurous". Both times she hoped I wouldn't notice, but when I pointed it out she definitely turned as red as a "robster".

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Of course that's their accent, but to force a hard-working immigrant to mispronounce a fake name for one's personal amusement is kinda low.

·
Registered
105 Posts
95% of the time someone using the term jerk is usually a girl. And 100% of the time when they use it directly toward you it means they are kinda playing and teasing you back.

For instance, if you make fun of or tease your friend or simply tell a funny joke when shes sipping her latte and the joke makes her spit up her coffee a lil bit, she replies with a smile, a slight slap on the arm and says " you're such a jerk ".

So in your particular case, she kinda thought it was funny but also slightly embarrassing for at least one party involved. Hence, smiled and called you a jerk.

Girls also have really good public intuition, so if she acted really upset and called you a jerk in genuine frustration then you were probably crossing a line as to how loud you were actually yelling MARCO and how goofy you came across while doing it.

If none of that is even remotely true and it was one of your " buddies " calling you a " jerk ". Then that calls for a different discussion and tell them to use better words than " jerk " to describe when your're being an assh***

I think your friend likes you and even if she didnt show it " except for the jerk comment " she kind of thought it was funny. And because a half dozen other people chimed in, it sounds like it was a good time.

POLO!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts