Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="" vAlign=top width=560>Pennsylvania student wearing Broncos jersey forced to take test on floor

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Pennsylvania student wearing Broncos jersey forced to take test on floor</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>January 23, 2006

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. (AP) -- A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class -- for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey. The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday -- two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kelly said Vannoy, a junior at Beaver Area Senior High School, just didn't get the joke.

"If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what (the class) is designed to do," Kelly told The Denver Post. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

Vannoy was wearing a No. 7 Broncos jersey on Friday, because he is a fan of John Elway, the Broncos' retired Hall of Fame quarterback.

Vannoy said he was so unnerved he left at least 20 questions blank on the 60-question test, and just wants out of Kelly's class because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media.

"I'm going to have to deal with him for two more nine weeks (school quarters) and he's going to want revenge somehow," Vannoy said Monday. "I took the test. I'm shaking. I'm furious. I didn't know what to do."

Kelly, who wore a Ben Roethlisberger jersey Friday, and his principal, Thomas Karczewski, didn't immediately return messages left on their school voice mail Monday.

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent said she was aware of the situation, but said confidentiality rules prevent her from commenting specifically. "We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable," Nugent said.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Thats a little much even for my standards. Of course, it is /in funny. I got a sweet 12 pack of beer and a little familial humiliation (I get to plaster my bro-in-law's car with Steelers stickers) out of the game...you get anything good Kram?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
should be the end of that teacher's career.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
No I don't have children, but I do think the teacher was probably trying to make a point about how difficult it is for some people to fit in in this world. I think this is a bad time, since the kid was trying to take a test, but an example like that isn't completely out of line. This kid was just like all the others, only he was wearing a different color. How different is that than if his skin was a different color? I think it was a good example with poor timing.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Normally I don't advocate violence, but this is the kind of guy who needs his ass kicked.
you hold him, i'll take a wooden softball bat to his knees and ankles.

you're right. this, if it's right, is just IGNORANT.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
HokieRider said:
The Pittsburgh Post Gazette has a smaller version of the article here
According to that page it comes from the Denver Post where you can find the story here

Just gotta know where to look. Still think its funny.
do you have children?

if it was my kid, the teacher would get a quiet, dark, late-night visit from the J's and as many people as i could recruit (plenty) to watch the street.

funny, no. humiliation, particularly in that stage of life, particularly for something as trivial as sports, is not funny.

for shame.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
17????? Come on, man... Plus, the Broncos suck.
broncos suck. buckeyes suck. oakland sucks. you suck. i suck.

you guys are totally making me sick.

do you know what you're rooting for?

teams that change every year. members, coaches often, etc.

give me a freakin' break.

the most ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC thing i've heard in the last few years, and it just came about here in the center of stupidity (memphis) in the last few, is this:

"how'd you guys do last night?"

co-worker to co-worker talking about college or pro-sports teams.

give it a rest. holy christ, this stuff is beyond laughable.

:rolleyes:

i'm getting the hell out of this thread. sorry, but it makes me ill.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
do you have children?

if it was my kid, the teacher would get a quiet, dark, late-night visit from the J's and as many people as i could recruit (plenty) to watch the street.

funny, no. humiliation, particularly in that stage of life, particularly for something as trivial as sports, is not funny.

for shame.
17????? Come on, man... Plus, the Broncos suck.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Not to mention, that kid was freakin 17 years old. Learn how to view things as an example and don't take the world so freakin seriously. This sounds like a kid who's had mommy and daddy coddling him for his whole life and felt picked on for an example. Grow some ba**s and get off your knees kid.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
HokieRider said:
No I don't have children, but I do think the teacher was probably trying to make a point about how difficult it is for some people to fit in in this world. I think this is a bad time, since the kid was trying to take a test, but an example like that isn't completely out of line. This kid was just like all the others, only he was wearing a different color. How different is that than if his skin was a different color? I think it was a good example with poor timing.
completely 100% disagree. it's wrong. and you'd bet i would have that teacher's job. and if i failed, my ex wife would have it. and if that failed, well...

no. completely 100% disagree.

/out of this thread.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
do you know what you're rooting for?

teams that change every year. members, coaches often, etc.
Actually J's thats the beauty of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Same coach for the last 14 years. RB who has been with the team for 10. Players want to come and stay there. A quick scan of the roster shows at least 5 players who have been with the team 10+ years. Same owner in same town since 1929. Only two coaches period in the last 55 years.

You should come to Pittsburgh for a game and the day after sometime. You can see the family that the town is. When the team wins, the town is on a high. When the team loses, the town is in a funk. Yeah, its football and it doesn't matter in the long run, but haven't you ever been passionate about something that others think is dumb? What about people who think cycling is stupid? Do you just roll over and die when someone says that or do you defend your beliefs and try to teach them all the good things about it? Just remember, everyone is different and everyone is passionate about different things, that doesn't mean anyone person is wrong or right.

Go Steelers and / anyone who has a problem with that.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I'm sure I'm sending this straight to PO, but oh well

HokieRider said:
Not to mention, that kid was freakin 17 years old. Learn how to view things as an example and don't take the world so freakin seriously. This sounds like a kid who's had mommy and daddy coddling him for his whole life and felt picked on for an example. Grow some ba**s and get off your knees kid.
So what's the lesson here? To take a person who is different from the group, isolate him, humiliate him, possibly mentally damage him? Geesh, not in my America thanks.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Ok, since I'm obviously getting flamed here, I'd like to ask you guys how you would teach a 17 year old what it feels like to be persecuted for something totally random. Give me what you think is a "good" example.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
HokieRider said:
Actually J's thats the beauty of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Same coach for the last 14 years. RB who has been with the team for 10. Players want to come and stay there. A quick scan of the roster shows at least 5 players who have been with the team 10+ years. Same owner in same town since 1929. Only two coaches period in the last 55 years.

You should come to Pittsburgh for a game and the day after sometime. You can see the family that the town is. When the team wins, the town is on a high. When the team loses, the town is in a funk. Yeah, its football and it doesn't matter in the long run, but haven't you ever been passionate about something that others think is dumb? What about people who think cycling is stupid? Do you just roll over and die when someone says that or do you defend your beliefs and try to teach them all the good things about it? Just remember, everyone is different and everyone is passionate about different things, that doesn't mean anyone person is wrong or right.

Go Steelers and / anyone who has a problem with that.
Seahawks will kick Steeler ass

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
HokieRider said:
Maybe this is what the teacher was thinking. Only he knows for sure.

Now, re-read your post and tell me why you find this so funny. If the kid had different skin color would it still be amusing?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts