Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i rode a giant tcr med for 4 years with 110 mm stem....and always felt like maybe i was on the cusp and maybe needed a 120 mm...and i always felt the bike was a little small in general...i had about 12 cm seat to bar dropp aswell...

i bought this bike at the time when giant had no m/l size available...

then when the med/lg came it looked perfect on paper...

long story short i bought a med/large tcr advance 1 about a month ago...i thought it would bring my bar to seat drop 3.5 cm closer and only take me 1.5 cm further from the bars (on paper this all seemed well and good...ive now decided it's too big...

i dont know how but I've come down to a 90mm stem and still feel that compared to the med i've gained length and im too streched out...

i'm pretty depressed about this...it took alot for me to get that money together...now im going to lose alot when i sell it...

let this be a lesson to all...do not buy a bike untill you have ridden it...geometries on paper are all well and good...but...i dunno it's just alot bigger than i thought...

i just keep thinking back to when i asked the guy at the store to order it in...he kept saying are you sure?...are you sure?...have you had a fitting?...

"yeah yeah yeah" i said with a grin on my face

ah well i guess this means two things, i'll lose about 1000 bucks...and i'm in a black spot for giant sizing...

4cm size inceases from one size to the next are too much...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... I don't have any first hand experience with Giant's sizing, but this possibility was one of the earliest criticizms of their sizing methodology... areas on the fringes where some would fall through the cracks.

Course, a real purist might criticize any frame off the peg as opposed to custom built!

Maybe you could get one of them disc decompression treatments and stretch your old bod out a bit?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Well you could attempt to sell it as a whole bike and lose about 25% or you could strip the components off of it and sell just the frame. Lose less i bet.

Or you could take a few measurements off the med and try to match it on the larger to see if you like it more.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
????

All I see is a 20mm taller head tube and 10mm more reach with the ML. You should only need one size shorter stem, but if you were using a 110mm, the length was fine to start with and a 120mm would be OK to. The 12cm drop to the bars is a lot, but that could have been cured with a flipped stem, 120mm stem, in place of the 110mm.

The bottom line is either frame can be made to fit the same, if you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
C-40 said:
All I see is a 20mm taller head tube and 10mm more reach with the ML. You should only need one size shorter stem, but if you were using a 110mm, the length was fine to start with and a 120mm would be OK to. The 12cm drop to the bars is a lot, but that could have been cured with a flipped stem, 120mm stem, in place of the 110mm.

The bottom line is either frame can be made to fit the same, if you know what you're doing.
it's 15mm more reach but tell me about it...

it's just a much bigger bike...im left sctratching my head aswell

theres a guy in the forum linked above whos in my boat funnily enough....

also i refuse to flip my stem...i wont look like a geek...i just can't do it...

bottom line really is if you have to flip a stem, or even have a 90mm one...the bike doesn't fit...(argue all you want, whatever)...unless you have a specific back problem...in which case...ditch the bike and take up water aerobics...

·
What it is
705 Posts
Ride it 10 times and then sell it

Could it be that it just seems odd to you because you are used to the other bike? I get this feeling when I am switching among bikes. They have different geometries and I feel the difference immediately. None of them are custom fitted and I feel the changes but I can ride them all for hours so I don't think the fit is wrong.

You might ride the new bike some number of times and then see whether you need to make a small change or sell it.

Good luck.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
joe_blow said:
also i refuse to flip my stem...i wont look like a geek...i just can't do it...

\
I think I'd suck up my pride and flip it for $1000.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

Are you SURE about the reach difference? You have to compare the TT length and the seat tube angle. From what I saw, the TT length is 15mm longer, but the STA is 72.5 rather than 73, so that reduces the reach by 5mm, so the frame should require one size longer stem.

I don't see a 35mm increase in the head tube length either, but you've got the frames to measure. I see a 150 and a 170mm head tube lengths for the M and ML sizes, STAs of 73 and 72.5 and TT lengths of 55.5 and 57.0cm. That's how I got the 10mm reach difference, NOT 15mm

You haven't mentioned your stem angle or the amount of spacer under the stem. I just mentioned the flipped stem because an 84/96 flip raises the bars about 2cm. I know flipped stem look dorky, but I sure see a lot of folks using them (not me). I use 5mm of spacer, an 84 degree stem and have 10.5cm of saddle to bar drop!

Of course you don't need to flip the stem on the larger frame, but perhaps you need a different stem angle. It's all about advance planning. If you knw what you're doing, there should be no surprises.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.