Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been running regularly for at least 2 1/2 years, but due to a mild, overuse injury, I've decided to begin riding my road bikes again, everyday. For the past 3 weeks I've been riding hard everyday, spinning up hills, getting a good aerobic workout. My average has risen one mph, and I am feeling strength in my stroke, more power, more suppleness.

How is my body changing and adapting to my new exercise routine? What part of my leg and back muscles am I using that I was not using while running? What is happening to me?

· Registered
19,427 Posts
are you asking a serious question..?

the sky above said:
Hi. I've been running regularly for at least 2 1/2 years, but due to a mild, overuse injury, I've decided to begin riding my road bikes again, everyday. For the past 3 weeks I've been riding hard everyday, spinning up hills, getting a good aerobic workout. My average has risen one mph, and I am feeling strength in my stroke, more power, more suppleness.

How is my body changing and adapting to my new exercise routine? What part of my leg and back muscles am I using that I was not using while running? What is happening to me?

its called "getting in shape"...it should be obvious, if you're a runner, that you know what muscle groups you're using, that you're probably losing weight, and producing a higher power output. better core muscles, although you may have been fine in that department from running. you're burning calories more efficiently and building muscle endurance..
are you sure you run? what happens when you run regularly at a faster tempo than you're used to? you speed up, right? same thing man..."it never gets easier, you just get faster"

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
the sky above said:
How is my body changing? What is happening to me?
Didn't you see that film in junior high school when they separated the girls from the boys? That should have explained everything.

· Registered
129 Posts
the sky above said:

Another week or two and your legs will look like this:

· Registered
425 Posts
Biking VS Running

I'm in the same boat as you. You will see more development of your thighs for sure. If I bike at least 5 days per week I find that I can still run pretty well with little or no running. When I am able to start running again I get back in top shape very fast (assuming I am not injured). Right now I am running VERY little due to plantar fasciitis. I am running maybe 3 miles 3 times per week. However, I can still turn it up a bit on minimal training and I feel like I am 3-4 weeks from being in pretty good shape (again, barring injury). Don't sweat the layoff from running, it will come back fast when your injury is completely healed.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.