Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year has been going great for me, so far. I'll be going on 3 training camps in 3 months.

Austin, TX from Jan 3-Jan 11
Palo Alto, CA from Feb 12-Feb 15
Bryson City, NC from Mar 14-21

This will be the same trip that I did last year, where, as a cat4, I put in 30hrs of riding in 8-9 days, and 25hrs in one week.

This year, I will be going in as a solid cat3. I will certainly put in at least 30hrs, hopefully 35-40 for the time I am there. After that, it's on to Collegiate Nationals in Colorado in May, Midwest Cycling Series in mid-late June, and then Superweek in mid-late July. I'll look to win the cat3's for the midwest cycling series, then foolishly upgrade to cat2 for Superweek.

With that being said, I did my first 2 collegiate A race weekends the past 2 weeks. One was in Murray, KY (Murray State) and the other in Greencastle, IN (Depauw). I'm doing about as well as, if not better than, the cat2s in the field. The race reports will go up over the next few days.

Then, it's spring break. I will blog as often as possible (internet is shotty where we are), but I will certainly try to get it up every 1-2 days. This time around I will be riding with a couple pros and strong cat1s.

So that's what everyone has to look forward to! I just posted my last Palo Alto day, 2 more collegiate races, then a week of training in the Smokey Mountains.

https://iliveonnitro.blogspot.com/

James

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Hang in there, buddy

30 hours is rough any way you slice it.

I remember those (few) days.

I think I did two or three 30 hour weeks, total. It was pretty rough.

These days I just get in my 15-20 hours / week of commuting, plus 1 solid weekend ride... it's tough, but in a different kind of way.

Get out there and win for the Lawnge! And, you know, teh othar forumz.

·
Registered
60 Posts
how many of those hours are workouts/intervals though? It seems to make a BIG difference if you're doing 30 hours with intervals or without. If you are, which i'm sure you are, thats impressive. You'll be a cat 2 in no time.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
bjkfly said:
how many of those hours are workouts/intervals though? It seems to make a BIG difference if you're doing 30 hours with intervals or without. If you are, which i'm sure you are, thats impressive. You'll be a cat 2 in no time.
OR BURNED OUT

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
pigpen said:
OR BURNED OUT

While increased mileage or time does not mean that someone will improve or become a better racer (or fitter, for that matter), the likelihood of one 30 hour week causing burnout is pretty low.

It's not going to make a difference either way. As long as the OP has fun with it, that's all that matters, because one week of significantly increased volume or training is not going to help or hurt him.

·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a 9 day camp in january, 4 day camp in february, and now another 9 day camp in march.

You are all right and all wrong at the same time. Trust me -- I know myself. I know my body. And I know how to kick ass when I need to.

PS my last road race averaged 25mph for 48mi. We whittled the field down from 65 to 40 before I took 5th in a P/1/2/3 field sprint. 2 Waste Management (Garmin-Chipotle devo team) and 1 junior national TT champ, among others. 39mph sprint into a huge crosswind -- passed at least 10 guys. As soon as I can make it to the finish without being gassed, I will win my first race against P/1/2s. Spring break is what will do it.

·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With that being said, every single day will involve going up at least 1 mountain, usually 2. Since I will be riding with a pro triathlate, some crazy-fast cat 1s, and maybe even some Jelly Belly pros, there is a good chance every mountain will be an interval, whether I want it to be or not.

PPS just because "LSD" is falling out of fashion doesn't mean it is all-of-a-sudden not beneficial, anymore. What the hell else do you expect to do with 35+ hours of riding during a camp? Besides, learning to burn fat might actually be beneficial. It's not like it's easy to whip out a PB&honey sandwich from a ziploc baggy while doing 28-30+mph on the flats.

·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I'm on my post-post-script strings.

PPPS How else am I suppose to keep up for collegiate nationals in Colorado? There are at least 3-4 pros racing it! Colorado mountains + altitude = this sprinter getting dropped. With any luck, I can turn into a Hincapie :p

OK, time to pack. I leave for NC in 19 hours.

·
Registered
100 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
I will certainly put in at least 30hrs, hopefully 35-40 for the time I am there.
Dude...I have a question...Why? Do you need to desperately loose weight or what's up?

I know it makes you feel good to punish yourself with lots of training.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
PS my last road race averaged 25mph for 48mi. We whittled the field down from 65 to 40 before I took 5th in a P/1/2/3 field sprint. 2 Waste Management (Garmin-Chipotle devo team) and 1 junior national TT champ, among others. 39mph sprint into a huge crosswind -- passed at least 10 guys. As soon as I can make it to the finish without being gassed, I will win my first race against P/1/2s. Spring break is what will do it.

Okay, a couple of questions here. If you got 5th in the field sprint, how big was the break? Also, if you "passed at least 10 guys" in the sprint, then you basically did the sprint all wrong (for a self-proclaimed sprinter anyway) and I wouldn't blame it on being gassed.

Also, not to sound harsh but midwest races in March aren't any way to measure yourself - no one is even close to what they would be by late summer. The weather has such a bad effect on proper training that you need probably 2 warm weather training cycles to get sorted out and compare apples to apples.

And maybe I am confused but I thought that you said this was a P/1/2/3 race? If this was a P/1/2/3 race and you got 5th in the field sprint (how big was the break?) how are you going to win your first race against P/1/2's? You just lost it. I know I missed something somewhere, just don't know what.

·
Registered
151 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
...And I know how to kick ass when I need to.

....As soon as I can make it to the finish without being gassed, I will win my first race against P/1/2s. Spring break is what will do it.
Man, not to be a hater or anything, but shouldn't you try winning a Cat 3 race first? Knowing "how to kick ass" usually involves actually having done it once or twice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
From your other posts, it sounds like your FTP might be a bit low which would explain not being able to pull through in the break. 280-290ish FTP (4.2ish W/kg) is going to be nigh on impossible to win in a P/1/2 field (unless it's just your lucky day). I'd focus on intensity/quality instead of many hours in the saddle. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
function said:
From your other posts, it sounds like your FTP might be a bit low which would explain not being able to pull through in the break. 280-290ish FTP (4.2ish W/kg) is going to be nigh on impossible to win in a P/1/2 field (unless it's just your lucky day). I'd focus on intensity/quality instead of many hours in the saddle. Good luck either way.

If the race has any sort of climb (1 mile or more) you are 100% right. Going to be really hard to pull off a W in a 1/2 face with that low of an FTP unless the race is pretty flat and you can sit in for the entire race. Even then its going to be damn hard.... Get up to 4.7+ W/kg and you will have a chance. Until then race smart!

OP you need to work on raising your FTP and 30 hours a week would be "doing it wrong". Those hard and long intervals that will give you the best and fastest results require rest. With 30 hours a week that will be impossible.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
wfrogge said:
If the race has any sort of climb (1 mile or more) you are 100% right. Going to be really hard to pull off a W in a 1/2 face with that low of an FTP unless the race is pretty flat and you can sit in for the entire race. Even then its going to be damn hard.... Get up to 4.7+ W/kg and you will have a chance. Until then race smart!

OP you need to work on raising your FTP and 30 hours a week would be "doing it wrong". Those hard and long intervals that will give you the best and fastest results require rest. With 30 hours a week that will be impossible.

I'm not one to put too much faith in numbers but I think that this is a good post.

It's hard at 5+ w/kg even on flat courses, even with a smart rider. It's been a while since I've raced in the midwest but I thought that was what the OP was banking on, because it's pretty hard to win just about anywhere out west in P/1/2 with significantly better numbers.

But you know, if he sits in, and it stays together, and he starts the sprint from a good position (definitely not 15 people back), he can probably pull out the odd win on the right course with the right field (although I guess that would not really be a P/1/2 field). Anyway, it's not really the best way to race, but it could happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts