Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a ceiling fan without turning the breaker off, I just flipped the wall switch off.
Also, I tore all the tags off of my pillows and mattresses.

Later I might tear that big warning label off of her hair dryer. Yea.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
If I'm home alone and I know that no one is going to flip the switch on me I rarely turn off the breaker. I've even switched outlets without turning off the power, just put one hand in your pocket, you don't want to close a circuit through your arms and chest...

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
DLMKA said:
If I'm home alone and I know that no one is going to flip the switch on me I rarely turn off the breaker. I've even switched outlets without turning off the power, just put one hand in your pocket, you don't want to close a circuit through your arms and chest...
Changing an outlet with one hand in my pocket sounds like a lot more trouble than killing a breaker.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
LWP said:
Changing an outlet with one hand in my pocket sounds like a lot more trouble than killing a breaker.

If you have no effing idea where the breaker is it's not....

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
I replaced all the outlets in my house a few years back. I only turned off the breakers to figure out how the wires were laid out. (there was some wiring that was done rather weird)

Before putting the face plates back on the switchs and outlets, I wrote the breaker number on the faceplate. That way if I want to turn off the power, I don't have to play any guessing games.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Sounds like a good opportunity to label your breakers - that's well worth the trouble IMO.
This wasn't in my house, it was an old warehouse building with several tenants, we couldn't just start trying breakers.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw a co-worker pop a 480 outlet by yanking the cord out. It singed his hair, flash blinded him for a bit, and his metal framed glasses burnt his face. I was 50 feet away and I was seeing stars for a while. Good stuff.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
MCF said:
I got hit with 120VAC once...my thumb hurt for a couple days.
Did that with single phase 220 between thumb and index finger, my hand felt odd for a bit. Second time wasn't that bad because the GFCI was eager to please.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I read that as feeling contagious

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
50 ma is enough to put you into v-fib. I've seen pix of toasted squirrels where a 15a breaker never tripped.

Even if nobody else is around, you don't know what the wiring in the wall looks like, or if the guy before connected the wires correctly (I've seen many examples of where it wasn't, including in my own house)

Google arc flash- even 120v @15a can be a big problem

There's a reason that OSHA has a lockout-tagout standard........

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gart said:
What's next? Riding without a helmet or listening to music?
I listen to music sometimes when riding, I might venture out this weekend without a helmet and gloves and do some mountain biking.
I regularly have unprotected secks with myself, but so far so good...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts