Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting today at 93kgs. I have fluctuated between 95kgs and 80kgs in the last two years. I was at 85 kgs in October last year but I banged my hip playing rugby not super sore so I continued running hills and doing sprints until something really hurt in early November, serious limp inducing pain. (I self diagnosed with hip bursitis ). The next three months of almost no exercise apart from the odd spin on the bike when the snow melted enough with the usual Xmas and New Years eating and I put 8 kgs back on. My hip is fine again and I went for a slow short ride yesterday and a jog this morning. So I am pushing the reset button.

Hopefully writing my goal down in a public forum will help with my determination. It's not the best time to do this as I have been hit with a bunch of chocolate as presents for valentines day. Here in Japan most females are expected to give chocolate to those they interact with on the 14th. We males reciprocate on April 14 for white day. Well wish me luck... cheers.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I've always felt that completely giving up something you like as a weight control measure is setting up for failure. Sugar isn't bad, how much of it we stuff in our face is the factor that matters. Moderation.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always felt that completely giving up something you like as a weight control measure is setting up for failure. Sugar isn't bad, how much of it we stuff in our face is the factor that matters. Moderation.
thanks. That's the thing, in order to moderate I think I have to get a control. I have a really bad sweet tooth and in times of stress it kicks in and starts me on a downward spiral. Not sure if sugar isn't bad, it certainly is the most likely cause of chronic obesity and the myriad of complications that arise from that condition. I'll see how I go, I did manage to give up cigarettes and hard liquor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm far from an expert, but my take is slowly replace all the processed sweets you are eating with natural sweets...i.e. medjool dates. Once you're eating mostly unprocessed sweets, have a coke and candy bar once a week to reward yourself. Giving up something like sweets completely cold turkey for diet purposes has never really worked for me.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
quitter!!!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
You can't do it, virtually all processed foods have sugar. Ketchup, bread, etc.
bread is one of the very few processed foods we eat in our house.

·
Registered
760 Posts
thanks. That's the thing, in order to moderate I think I have to get a control. I have a really bad sweet tooth and in times of stress it kicks in and starts me on a downward spiral. Not sure if sugar isn't bad, it certainly is the most likely cause of chronic obesity and the myriad of complications that arise from that condition. I'll see how I go, I did manage to give up cigarettes and hard liquor.
FWIW, I was a big pastry fan. When I became a vegetarian a few years ago, and started replacing most of my meals with fruit/vegetable smoothies, my sweet cravings pretty much went away. I believe may others experienced similar reactions. If you want some more motivation, if you haven't already, check out the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead"...documents how person started juicing fruits/vegetables, and was able to get off of 90% of his long time medications, lost weight, and became healthier overall.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Did you really mean to say you're giving up 'added' sugar or something like that?

Giving up sugar sounds kind of stupid to be honest. You'll have to eliminate all fruits and vegs for example. Basically you can only eat meat if you want to avoid sugar.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Not sure if sugar isn't bad, it certainly is the most likely cause of chronic obesity and the myriad of complications that arise from that condition.
Nope, once again, excessive consumption (coupled with lack of exercise) is still the culprit in the vast majority of cases. I'd bet you won't find many people who eat healthy in general and exercise who suffer any ill effects from eating a bowl of ice cream or a piece of cake every night. But I will concede that if a person is unable to resist eating said sugary items to excess, cutting them out completely would probably be the best answer. And I didn't mean to sound negative, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with this.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I agree, moderation and A LOT of label reading.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you really mean to say you're giving up 'added' sugar or something like that?

Giving up sugar sounds kind of stupid to be honest. You'll have to eliminate all fruits and vegs for example. Basically you can only eat meat if you want to avoid sugar.
Yes any added sugar which means sodas, beer, sweets, cereals etc.
You can't do it, virtually all processed foods have sugar. Ketchup, bread, etc.
Yeah, processed foods aren't really food I think. They add the sugar to get people to like it. Look at sugar consumption over the last 50 years and the corresponding rise in obesity and diabetes.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I agree, moderation and A LOT of label reading.
yeah but it's kind of funny, when I decided to really clean up my act eating wise one rule of thumb I developed was stay away from food that even has labels. So in other words just fresh fruits and vegs and unprocessed meats.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

I was going to troll him with the same comment.

I think people often say "I'm giving up sugar" meaning in their mind added sugars.

But if they were literally serious, they would have to eat a prepared diet as almost all foods in our food supply (even when the label says 0 carbohydrate) contain some sugar (glucose, disaccharides, and longer chain but minimal polysaccharides such as starch or trace glycogen in animal products).

and as you said, fruit is a a sugar (mono and disaccharaides / glucose, fructose and other ose's [many])

And vegetables contain fiber (glucose polymers) and starches.

I have nothing really of value to add.

Other than semantics.....

PS. I use this statement "I don't eat sugar" or "I gave up sugar" as a critical thinking example in nutrition classes.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I cut out about 90 percent of sugar a year ago and love life. Now 90 percent is easy, it's getting the last ten that's really hard. So why bother with that ten? At 49 I enjoy life and if that includes the occasional piece of cake so be it.
At the same time I cut 98 percent of all grains out. This has led to 30lbs of sustained weight loss over a year. And getting rid of grains got rid of inflammation in my body and completely eliminated all the aleve I would take every day.
And that's with running about 8 to 15 miles a day. Diet was a huge change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
If your goal is to lose weight, focus on calories instead of their origin. Eat less than you use. You will lose weight. Sure, there may be exceptions at the fringes, in the 2nd and 3rd standard deviations, including some medical conditions, but for the vast majority, of which you probably are, this formula will work very reliably.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I cut out about 90 percent of sugar a year ago and love life. Now 90 percent is easy, it's getting the last ten that's really hard. So why bother with that ten? At 49 I enjoy life and if that includes the occasional piece of cake so be it.
At the same time I cut 98 percent of all grains out. This has led to 30lbs of sustained weight loss over a year. And getting rid of grains got rid of inflammation in my body and completely eliminated all the aleve I would take every day.
And that's with running about 8 to 15 miles a day. Diet was a huge change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are on the right track. Cutting out sugar and grains is a great way to improve your health. I have been doing this since July and dropped 15 pounds. I am only 6-8 lbs from my ideal weight. I am now fat adapted and I no longer have to eat sugar to keep me going on long tough rides. I try to keep my carbs below 25 grams a day. It's working for me. Bacon and eggs is now my favorite breakfast.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'll be 52 next month and been living the low sugar/grain lifestyle for a few years now. My quality of of life improved more than I thought it would.
My food pyramid is: vegetables, meat, fruit, nuts and seeds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts