Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject line pretty much says it all. I've been riding about 6 months, and now I want to start maintaining my own bike. What tools, other than specialized bike tools (though please pass along thoughts there as well) should I start with? My Park repair stand is on its way. In particular, I want to get a torque wrench - do they come with sockets, and if so, which sockets should I get? Is a socket set better than box wrenches? Any thoughts appreciated. FWIW, my bike is a Trek 1500.

·
Registered
274 Posts
JMac said:
The subject line pretty much says it all. I've been riding about 6 months, and now I want to start maintaining my own bike. What tools, other than specialized bike tools (though please pass along thoughts there as well) should I start with? My Park repair stand is on its way. In particular, I want to get a torque wrench - do they come with sockets, and if so, which sockets should I get? Is a socket set better than box wrenches? Any thoughts appreciated. FWIW, my bike is a Trek 1500.
my craftsman torque wrench came with no sockets. but i feel it's necessary to own the following items.

torque wrench
set of allen wrench sockets metric and american
set of allen wrenches metric and american
set of tiny screw drivers

·
Registered
529 Posts
Go Big!!!

I'd go for the Craftsman 432 pc Mechanics Tool Set! Granted you won't need most of the tools -- but then again tools are like bicycles you can never have enough of them.

If the spouse says no (which mine did) I found out that I've gotten by with a 1/4 and 3/8 metric ratchet set, the 9 piece combination wrench set, a set of metric allen wrenches, adjustable wrenches (6" and 12"), #0-3 Phillips screwdrivers, 12 and 16oz ball pein hammer, 10" linemans pliers, 12" channel locks and a 6"needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have a set of T-handle allen wrenches from Sears. The only thing that I would change would be to have ball ends. If you have basic tools, (ie ratchets, etc) get some allen sockets in 6,8, and 10 mm. If you get only one, get an 8mm since it will work on most crank bolts.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Don't forget a rubber or plastic mallet for those delicate jobs. Really, you need one to pound out your fork, stuck parts (i.e. seatposts) etc. Much better than a wood block and a hammer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't forget a strap wrench

Laugh all you want but it grabs anything no matter the shape. I've used them when a chainwhip wasn't available!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts