Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Hi Gutfiddle, hows it going? Im gonna buy a race bike. Do you think I can get something descent at ____'s bicycles for $500-800? What do you ride? ~Clueless"

I get this question about twice a week from acquaintences who think I know something about bicycles since i ride to work and have been on some club rides. Some of them I've even lent helmets to and given the advice that road "race" bikes handle alot differently than your walmart hybrid. Once they visit the LBS and get sticker shock they want to borrow my bicycle to race, um no.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh boy, here's musclebound gymrat's response to my email in which I told him he could get a decent road bike for around $1,500.

"I was thinking it might be expensive. Yeah, I have to get used to the handling for sure. Ive been doing the stationary bike at the gym 3 times a week for the last 5 weeks. I will do some spinning classes soon probably. Thanx for the info!":rolleyes:

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
lol...i find the stationary bike really helps my static force handling skills...

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
If you want to be rid of them, just tell them "I don't think you can buy a decent race bike for less that $3,000." It doesn't have to be true.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
and how's he going to react when he finds out that the $1500 for the bike is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg? clothes, shoes, helmet, etc...

On the positive side, after spending some time on the stationary bike at the gym, he'll be confident in his ability to ride "no hands" on the road!

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JustTooBig said:
and how's he going to react when he finds out that the $1500 for the bike is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg? clothes, shoes, helmet, etc...

On the positive side, after spending some time on the stationary bike at the gym, he'll be confident in his ability to ride "no hands" on the road!
he can practice his finish line pose w/ both hands in the air.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
For a second I was afraid you were going to buy a crotch-rocket. :eek:

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rogger said:
For a second I was afraid you were going to buy a crotch-rocket. :eek:
i should, i've been practicing on those motorcycle arcade games.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i hear that all the time. i usually get a mileage breakdown, too. "sometimes they ride 30 miles!"

Dave Hickey said:
Version #2 is the friend that has a friend or neighbor that "races" too.. and they have a REAL expensive bike that they paid $800 for...

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
gutfiddle said:
i should, i've been practicing on those motorcycle arcade games.
You should be fine, but remember to not wear a helmet, cars will get out of the way faster when they see you closing in at high speed pulling a wheely.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
m_s said:
You can get a reasonably nice road bike for 800 dollars.
"reasonably nice" is very relative. maybe on ebay or craigslist, not likely at the lbs.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
gutfiddle said:
"reasonably nice" is very relative. maybe on ebay or craigslist, not likely at the lbs.
when they say a price, ask if they are expecting wheels with that

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I used to be that helpful. Now I tell them to visit the LBS and get an idea of the price range they want to dive into and I'll help them narrow it down to 2 or 3 bikes.

Oh, and I charge beer, nothing less than a 6-er of the good stuff which runs $10-$15.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Version #2 is the friend that has a friend or neighbor that "races" too.. and they have a REAL expensive bike that they paid $800 for...
I bet they race the MS-150!

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Tig said:
I bet they race the MS-150!

How do you get a chain ring tattoo on the outside of the left leg? :confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts