Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Im having a bit of trouble w/ my SS conversion kit...

2K views 42 replies 7 participants last post by  CaliBuddha 
#1 ·
Everything is on and lined up but the chain is skipping when pressure is applied to the pedals. Someone that has the kit from Performance, can I see a pic of how yours is set- up? I just want to see how you have your chain tensioner on.

#3 ·
In most instances I hear it is better for the tensioner to be pushing upward.
But as Dave said, it seems that the chainline is a bit out of wack. My old roommate used to have this setup, but it took him an attempt or two to get it right.

#13 ·
Don't spend unnecessarily.

Get a carpenter's level and stick on the side of the chainring running it to the side of the cog. This will show any deviation which the eye refuses to see. Or just tie a string on the front of the chainring at the 3 o' clock and run it passing the 9 o'clock position then to the cog. It will show if the cog is aligned to the chainring.

I hope I conveyed properly what I am thinking.:p

#14 ·
So, I went to the bike shop this morning and they told me what the problem may be. They said my chainline looked good but my cranks and chainrings are so old, I forget what brand they are now, the chainrings are elliptical, they arent actually round. They said that may be my problem w/ the new rear cog... I was going to buy a new chainring while I was there but the guy talked me out of it b/c he said he didnt think it would be worth it b/c of how my dropouts are and the fact I have a quick release on the rear. I have the forward facing dropouts, he said I would have to tighten it up about every time I got on it. He just recommended I get a rear wheel w/ o quick release... So, there you have it. I guess its time for a Deep V.

#15 ·
CaliBuddha said:
So, I went to the bike shop this morning and they told me what the problem may be. They said my chainline looked good but my cranks and chainrings are so old, I forget what brand they are now, the chainrings are elliptical, they arent actually round. They said that may be my problem w/ the new rear cog... I was going to buy a new chainring while I was there but the guy talked me out of it b/c he said he didnt think it would be worth it b/c of how my dropouts are and the fact I have a quick release on the rear. I have the forward facing dropouts, he said I would have to tighten it up about every time I got on it. He just recommended I get a rear wheel w/ o quick release... So, there you have it. I guess its time for a Deep V.
watch bike shops trying to sell you stuff you don't need...some facts..

1. QR will work just fine for single speed applications
2. Biospace chainrings should probably be replaced with a normal chainring
3. If you have forward facing dropouts, why do you need a chain tensioner? there should be enought adjustment in the dropouts to give you proper tension

A new chainring would have solved your problem by the sounds of it

#17 ·
Well, I thought about taking the chain tensioner off but I wasnt sure about it so I just asked them and they said itd be ok. So, I will take that off and I guess Ill just buy the chainring... The thing is, he knew I wasnt going to buy a wheel from them b/c I told him Id be looking on eBay tonight for stuff and he wouldnt let me buy the chainring which I thought was weird but I wish I just wouldve gotten it now...

#25 ·
CaliBuddha said:
What about the chainring? Think I should just get a new one? I forgot to snap a shot of it but you can use your imagination I suppose.
It's difficult to 'imagine' the condition (as far as wear) of your chain ring without at least seeing a photo of it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.