Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent almost $2k on a DSLR and want to get my first bike in 13 years today, but I can't decide if I should go Colnago, Orbea or Litespeed.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Love my colnago master lite. I do have two litespeed bikes, but would suggest avoiding this company. I have a problem with their business practices. There are several other manufacturers of Ti bikes. I just got an email from Lynskey about a sale

Bought a Lynskey earlier this year. No issues.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love my colnago master lite. I do have two litespeed bikes, but would suggest avoiding this company. I have a problem with their business practices. There are several other manufacturers of Ti bikes. I just got an email from Lynskey about a sale

Bought a Lynskey earlier this year. No issues.
What's wrong with LS?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nashbar has a significant discount on Lynskey right now. Colnagos can be had at good prices at Bellatisport, relative to US MSRP.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Selecting a bike based on brand alone boils the chances of getting a bike that's good for you down to sht luck.
You should look into stuff that matters, like fit, handling, tire clearance, ect then worry about brand.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Since you have not purchased a bike in 13 years, and since 2002 you have only 4 posts on RBR, I take it that you have not followed the "disc revolution" in the road world? Then you might want to look into that first.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
What model Colnago, Litespeed? I know nothing about Orbea. Aren't those the bikes that claim to be made in Spain, but are really made in China and painted in Spain? There's better places to go for titanium than Litespeed these days.

I caught the same bug this Spring

Attachments

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Jay said it.

Didn't you start this discussion about 8 months ago? And now you want to buy a bike today?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay said it.

Didn't you start this discussion about 8 months ago? And now you want to buy a bike today?

I have five expensive hobbies along with Osteo/Rheumatoid Arthritis in each knee also w/multiple tears in each Meniscus9which is why I haven't been around). I tested a Madone w Ultegra(54cm), but settled on a 2016 Orca M10i Cofidis w/ Di2 Dura Ace(no tax...today only).

I want to switch out the AL bar for a carbon version along with the DA for "E-Tap".

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have five expensive hobbies along with Osteo/Rheumatoid Arthritis in each knee also w/multiple tears in each Meniscus9which is why I haven't been around). I tested a Madone w Ultegra(54cm), but settled on a 2016 Orca M10i Cofidis w/ Di2 Dura Ace(no tax...today only).

I want to switch out the AL bar for a carbon version along with the DA for "E-Tap".
No offense... really. But you are looking to drop how many K on a bike that you will ride how much given this post? Upgrade components, buy weight savings, and how much are you going to actually use the bike? Or is your hobby spending money on things? That's cool. Not my bag, but if that does it for you, more power to you.

O/RA is limited to knees? That's unusual. Not sure how the RA plays with cycling but I can imagine it being quite an issue. If you are more likely to hang a cool bike on your wall and ride occasionally, check out a poster who rehabs old bikes. I was very skeptical but I'm finding myself really noticing and appreciating vintage bikes since his posts have resonated. You could spend your hobby money on a cool vintage...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No offense... really. But you are looking to drop how many K on a bike that you will ride how much given this post? Upgrade components, buy weight savings, and how much are you going to actually use the bike? Or is your hobby spending money on things? That's cool. Not my bag, but if that does it for you, more power to you.

O/RA is limited to knees? That's unusual. Not sure how the RA plays with cycling but I can imagine it being quite an issue. If you are more likely to hang a cool bike on your wall and ride occasionally, check out a poster who rehabs old bikes. I was very skeptical but I'm finding myself really noticing and appreciating vintage bikes since his posts have resonated. You could spend your hobby money on a cool vintage...
I'm not in a Wheelchair nor do I use a walker, but I can move quickly when I need to. At my height of fitness, I was 185lbs with 8% body fat, weight trained 7-days a week, trained in Table Tennis(my moniker)three days a week and played 15 tournaments a year. I also ran three tmes a week with my Military squadron.

For each pound gained, it's four pounds of pressure on each knee(no running). Surgery is not an option as I would be close to bone-on-bone. Cycling is what I know and if it costs $$$'s to lose weight....

My last bike was a '98 Trek w/Carbon Rec'd 10, first gen Reynolds Carbon hoops, Ouzo Pro fork, FSA Team Issue crank and Easton EC90 post/bar and "Lance" pedals. I only go forward.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Selecting a bike based on brand alone boils the chances of getting a bike that's good for you down to sht luck.
You should look into stuff that matters, like fit, handling, tire clearance, ect then worry about brand.

This. Also, test ride LOTS of bikes to find out what wows you when you are riding it. That fancy boutique bike may end up a living room ornament if you find out it's not enjoyable to ride.

Jay also mentioned fit. I cannot stress the importance of this enough - especially for someone with joint issues. Find a reputable shop that will spend time dialing in your fit just right.

Oh, did I mention fit? Yes, it's that important.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts

That's a lot of bike, hope you enjoy it! I wouldn't bother to swap the bar though, the alloy one is probably going to be safer and you are talking about triple the cost to lose ~30-40 grams.

Post a picture for us!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Part of the of the deal was no tax and a $400 gift card which I can use towards full blown fit that goes beyond the Fit Kit.

Did I say that this was my last bike?

·
Banned
748 Posts
Did I say that this was my last bike?
My-Oh-my, that's a limiting statement, how old are you?? I can't imagine saying that when I'm in my late 90's..

Lynsky Helix!!! DI2 w/Zipps

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
55 on 10 days.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts