Satanic Watch Winder
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You left out the 33 MPH wind.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Only the second 12 hours is on the track......not that the local area is all that hilly.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, you never ride on flat terrain or descents, only uphill when there's no wind. Got it!:thumbsup::D

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The following comes to mind:
It's about the journey, not the destination.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I own a high-end recumbent, a Rans Force 5, which I've ridden maybe twice in 4 years. It's a terrible climber, and I love hilly or mountainous rides.
Actually, a 5 is a good recumbent for climbs, on par with Bacchetta 650 and 700 models. The climbing issue is probably related to only riding it twice in two years.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Actually, a 5 is a good recumbent for climbs, on par with Bacchetta 650 and 700 models. The climbing issue is probably related to only riding it twice in two years.
Twice in two years means no muscle adaptation to the riding position and no chance to learn uphill riding techniques. The Force 5 had the triangulated frame, it's a good climber with a rider who knows what they're doing.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I hit 50, I'll probably get me a recumbent. I must say they do look comfy. However, my worst fear is not being seen on the road, and the slow flicking ability of the thing.
I ride an upright and a recumbent. You're really not that much lower on a bent. Plus, I run a high output tail strobe on both, day or night. On a 60 mile ride with flat or rolling terrain the bent allows me to stay with riders that, otherwise, would work me pretty hard, especially in the wind. It's great having both though.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I`m not much if any slower climbing on my SWB than with my other bikes. Not much if any faster on it going down or into the wind, either. If the danged thing were as comfortable as my Schwinn, I`d probably ride it more often.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
I ride an upright and a recumbent. You're really not that much lower on a bent. Plus, I run a high output tail strobe on both, day or night. On a 60 mile ride with flat or rolling terrain the bent allows me to stay with riders that, otherwise, would work me pretty hard, especially in the wind. It's great having both though.
yes but on a regular road bike, when I'm riding in traffic congested area, I have the option to sit pretty much straight up (as straight as my arms will allow) and make myself more visible to cars.

One time on a trail, I was close to running into a recumbent as both of us were coming around a corner that was partially covered with bushes. I didn't hit him, but it was one of those "oops sorry didn't see you coming there".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.