Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping cyclocross bikes for a few weeks now. Today I tested the Trek XO1, XO2, Felt F35X, Cannondale CX9. I tested a Specialized Tricross Sport a couple days ago.

I stumbled across a leftover '08 Yeti ARC-X for a huge discount at the LBS later on today. Only problem is it's a large and I normally ride medium bikes. I test rode it and it felt great! I had the LBS measure it and the frame was 56cm. I would normally ride a 54cm, but my Lemond roadie is 55cm. Do the Yeti larges seem to run smaller than other bike manufacturers? MSRP is $2300 on this bike and I can get it for an amazing price...almost so go I could buy it and ride it for awhile. If it felt uncomfortable after long rides I thought maybe I could sell the frame and bike a medium.

What do you guys think? Is this a crazy idea? It's either this or I might consider a Trek XO1 in 54cm. I test rode cyclocross bikes all day and I really like the Yeti...I just don't know if I should be fixated on the size. Keep in mind I would use this bike for all sorts of riding, but I have considered doing some commuting on a cyclocross bike. I've also considered training for a cyclocross race (for fun of course).

Anything else I should consider test riding? I wanted to ride a Surly Crosscheck and a Giant, but none were in stock. The Scott and Kona weren't available in my sizes.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Nominal sizes will get you into the ball-park, but they are not necessarily comparable across models and manufacturers. Fixate on fit, not size.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Fixate on fit, not size.
That's what my wife says... :(

There are sooooo many bikes to look at and factors to consider. Maybe make a list of priorities. Think about your intended uses, riding style, preferences etc... try out as many as you can and as many materials as you can. Think about it for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a little more research today. On Yeti's website they say that the Large ARC-X is for riders 5'9"-6'1". I'm 5'10" with shorter legs (31" inseam), but I have a longer torso. Maybe this bike will work for me. It just seems odd that I ride Medium on my Mt Bikes and I might get a Large cyclocross/road bike. I think Yeti just has different sizing than other manufacturers.

As far as keeping my options open...I will certainly do so before making a decision. The Specialized Tricross and Trek XO1 felt pretty good to me as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trek XO1/2

I have also been looking at these as they are spec'd pretty nice and they have a TON of mud clearance. You could ride 40-42's and there would be plenty of room in the rear! The Cannondale..not so much. But the 'dale looks pretty sweet! Just my $.02

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tricross

Hunter,
How did you like the Tricross Sport?
It is at the top of my short list to buy very soon. I rode one, a little, big last weekend and liked it. I am riding the right size this weekend and possibly buying it for fitness and commuting. Mostly road. Let me know what you thought.
Thanks

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
54-55-56 is usually a good spot for people who are 5'10" to start. I'm also 5'10" and would, for the most part, be fine on a 56. Try comparing top tube length among the bikes, and maybe the stem length provided.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Me too !!!

I have almost the same dilemma as you. I'm currently shopping for my first "road" bike and seem to be fixated on the "cross" bikes. I found 2 bikes that I liked alot, one being the Scott CX Team (size 56) and the other being a Colnago Cyclocross (54). The Colnago is "awesome" and the bike shop is selling it at a ridiculously low price, but the Scott feels like it fits better. Both the bikes are very nice, I'm just not sure which one to go with. :idea:

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Compare the specs on paper. That way you can determine the difference between the two and decide whether the Colnago feels different because it has fundamentally different geometry that is never going to work for you, or if it would be a simple matter of making a few cockpit tweaks to replicate the Scott's set-up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts